Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
WTF is going on with this one lol? They are letting schools out early and just announced on the local news that they recommend to keep 2 days worth of food on hand. What in the actual f uck

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There will be millions of people coming to see it. They will be pillaging the grocery stores and traffic will be horrible. If you wait to buy food, you might find the shelves empty.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
OK buster, you won't think the media is a bunch of complete morons when the shtf on April 8th. The people who keep an eye to the sky in case it starts to fall, know just how serious this is. They are already well prepared from previous media warnings...multi vaxxed, lots of toilet paper, unused generators from Y2K, murder hornet spray, impending ice age, impending global heating, world hunger from Ukraine war, Icelandic volcano, Yellowstone eruption ends life on planet, economy implodes, and ammo is hard to get. The end is near. Ignore the 5 o'clock news at your peril.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live on an island north of Burlington vt and from the threwway exit to the Canadian border is about 40 miles. It is one single 2 lane paved road going up through the chain of islands. We are dead center in the eclipse zone so tens of thousands will be up here.
They are figuring they will have to close the road

living the good life every day
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There will be millions of people coming to see it. They will be pillaging the grocery stores and traffic will be horrible. If you wait to buy food, you might find the shelves empty.

Exactly!

It was the same song and dance as the last one when I was in South Dakota. Lots of traffic, lots of visitors, lots of places shut down. There will be many people in the area, Air-BNBing it up, hotels are sold out in Erie for 3X the normal rates. Groceries and stuff will be scarce. Not a SHTF situation, just a large influx of people.

Schools are closed here (NW PA) under the idea that the eclipse happens exactly as schools are letting out and they're concerned about looky-loos congesting the area, even out here in podunk PA.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The fear mongering is everywhere on this one, I suspect what's actually going on is much more subtle and will go unnoticed because of the fear mongering. Dungeon programming for the masses allows the programming of the matrix to go undetected by those asleep.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are out in rural SE Oregon (like 7k people in 10K square miles) and witnessed our first ever traffic jam with the last eclipse. About 15 miles of first gear driving (I have a manual and can idle) all due to a single stop sign at an intersection. Plates showed most were from California, Utah, Nevada, and Idaho. We posted at a small lake dead centerline for our observations. When it was over, 14 float planes left in the following minutes. That pond had probably not seen a plane in the previous decade.

Do get fueled and groceried up well in advance and avoid travel the day of if possible.

If one is on centerline and owns property, get those porta-potties in and rent out campsites for $100+ a night with no water or power available. There were quick fortunes made in this region even in the most rural of environments.

True to urban form, the established campgrounds were literally packed. We headed onto USFS property and found plenty of sites as soon as the pavement ended. Seems the Subaru folks don't do gravel. Only had to do about a 10 minute run to get back down to the center line the morning of.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/21/24.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
OK buster, you won't think the media is a bunch of complete morons when the shtf on April 8th. The people who keep an eye to the sky in case it starts to fall, know just how serious this is. They are already well prepared from previous media warnings...multi vaxxed, lots of toilet paper, unused generators from Y2K, murder hornet spray, impending ice age, impending global heating, world hunger from Ukraine war, Icelandic volcano, Yellowstone eruption ends life on planet, economy implodes, and ammo is hard to get. The end is near. Ignore the 5 o'clock news at your peril.
LOL

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
We are out in rural SE Oregon (like 7k people in 10K square miles) and witnessed our first ever traffic jam with the last eclipse. About 15 miles of first gear driving (I have a manual and can idle) all due to a single stop sign at an intersection. Plates showed most were from California, Utah, Nevada, and Idaho. We posted at a small lake dead centerline for our observations. When it was over, 14 float planes left in the following minutes. That pond had probably not seen a plane in the previous decade.

Do get fueled and groceried up well in advance and avoid travel the day of if possible.

If one is on centerline and owns property, get those porta-potties in and rent out campsites for $100 a night with no water or power available. There were quick fortunes made in this region even in the most rural of environments.
Very interesting

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Garandimal is making dry cat food jello in case there’s an soarpacolypse.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Better stock up on toilet ppr asap

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Garandimal is making dry cat food jello in case there’s an soarpacolypse.
Happy Camper is making a fresh batch of Bathtub Hydroxychloroquine, he has the landline phone on his shoulder talking to wabigoon

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll rent out the end of my driveway. $500. Cash, no zelle or Venmo.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute

If one is on centerline and owns property, get those porta-potties in and rent out campsites for $100 a night with no water or power available. There were quick fortunes made in this region even in the most rural of environments.

Chickahominey? We stayed overnight there a couple years ago. A plane would have needed wheels, not pontoons. It was bone dry.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rock Chuck:

Unity Réservoir. Chickahominey and Burns/Hines were about 70 miles south of the centerline. Unity was right on the money.

Cookie used a Mylar filter for the pre and post phases. During those intervals, the sun can still cook one's camera sensors. Diamond ring through totality, it's safe to remove the filter. A Canon EOS 70 D wearing a 500 mm prime. Being a crop camera, that's the equivalent of 800 mm glass.

Cookie just got a new knee this past Tuesday, so we're sadly not traveling for this event.

Chickahominey has water and fish now (rainbow). Filled last spring and they planted fingerlings. They should be up to about 12 inchers now and the lake should have picked up some more water with the recent melt.

Safe travels and clear skies to those that are getting out. It's worth the trip.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/21/24.

1Minute
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Cookie needs to send her resume in to National Geographic.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's supposed to rain.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Maybe nothing but it does pass over 7 towns named Nineveh from Tezax to Nova Scotia. Sure it's just a coincidence that Jonah and the Nineveh thing from the Bible.

We shall see. Or not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We are in the direct path of totality here. Where the paths of the October annular eclipse and this total eclipse crossed is about 30 miles from here. We are expecting about 3X our population of 52K to show up. We've been telling locals for months that they need to have bought their food, fuel, prescriptions, pet supplies at least two weeks ahead of time.

Traffic is going to get gridlocked after it's over, we know. It will look like the start of a NASCAR race and then turn into the 24 hours at Daytona.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dub, you nailed it. It will be crowded and chaotic.

I wish it weren't so. I love eclipses, and I love to drive through Texas. I'd like to come see the show, if it weren't so crazy.

Anyway, we get 88 percent here in the Blue Ridge mountains, that is a pretty good show. I already have my eclipse glasses and I will enjoy the eclipse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (300s, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 14 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,067
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.