Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Slavek
Same size gun as .44 Magnum usually bought by reloaders due to limited ammo availability and high cost. Reloaders can reduce .44 Mag loads or just use .44 Special ammo. To me .41Mag is worth a fart .44Mag two farts, zero appeal. I prefer .45 Colt to both.

You are such a retard.

Yes.Totally clueless. Any serious hunter/shooter that has owned both and studied it's performance, the 41 Mag out penetrates the 44 with hard cast bullets and at reduced recoil. While it may have been a bust as originally intended (Law Enforcement), as a hunting cartridge, it is in my opinion superior to the 44.

The Remington 210 grain JFP will out penetrate the Remington 240 grain JFP in 44 Magnum also

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grasping for straws. Unlike 9x19 vs. .45 Auto here is not much diameter difference between the two, therefore penetration difference is not likely significant. Shooting 8 to 10 rounds per load what would be the difference in "ballistic blob"?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
therefore penetration difference is not likely significant.
Theoretically speaking? again?

Pretty obvious that you have absolutely no knowledge of the subject, but are taking uneducated guesses.

Do you not experience "ballistic blob" (whatever the fugg that is supposed to mean) with your beloved airsoft?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
41 magnum has been on my radar for some time now and I'm looking for a SS Bisley 5"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
41 magnum has been on my radar for some time now and I'm looking for a SS Bisley 5"
That was a limited rin if I recall.
I did the gold lines in this Fermin Garza front sight. It was the first sight I inlaid with 18k gold. The gentleman wanted three bars to go om his stainless Bisley 41 mag
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]picture uploader

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
Thanks for sharing the article.

I have one 41 Magnum and it's my S&W Model 57 Mountain Gun and it's a keeper.

I do keep my eyes open for another 41 Magnum when I hit a Gunshop or gun show.

StarchedCover

That is a rare and coveted bird, StarchedCover. Congrats. I have 2 657's. A 4" and a 6" obtained after being programmed by our friendly local enabler. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
For living in New England, that guy sure spreads his influence around. grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My .41 Magnum dies arrived two days ago. 200 pieces of once-fired .41 Magnum brass will be here next week, as will 500 ea. .410" 210 gr. SWC's from Missouri Bullet Company. I consider this "dipping my toe in the water" since I haven't yet ordered a bullet mold and sizing die.

Oh, did I mention that I don't and have never owned a .41 Magnum? That will be corrected by next week when a 6 1/2" Blackhawk comes to its new home, I just have to decide which one smirk.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We can conclude that value of this caliber is same size and weight in as .44 Magnum with less power potential but at higher gun and ammo cost, basically 🤡 proposition.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The .45 Colt checks all the boxes for me, no need to concern myself with anything else.
Maser, When was the last time you held a handgun in your hand, hell, any firearm?

Your airsofts do not count.

Yes the 41 is easy to make shoot well. I load from 700 fps up to as much H110 as I can fit under the bullet. I use bullets from 165 gr cast, 210 gr cast, 250 gr cast, 170 Sierra, 210 Berry's plated, 210 Nosler HP, and 210 Hornady XTP. The cast bullets are powder coated.

Universal, Unique, Blue Dot, HS 6 for moderate velocity loads. Titegroup for low velocity, H110 for maximum loads.

I sold a six inch 657 a couple years ago. But still have a Taurus total titanium tracker (restricted to light loads only), a 657 Mountain Gun, a Ruger SBH bisley hunter, and a Marlin 1894.

The 165s at 700 fps shoot about like a 38 special, the 250s shoot like a 44 mag.

Might want to remove Blue Dot from your list of powders for the .41

https://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/safety_notices.aspx

This notice has been around for a long time. I'm surprised you haven't noticed. Time to pull some bullets my friend.

My 657 is one of my favorites.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B3

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never needed a 45 but had plenty of 22 thru 44’s in various rounds, short and long guns. Enjoy what you shoot, and shoot what will get the job done well.

Fwiw, many overlooked and underestimated perhaps the modest 6.5’s in rifles. Later, lots of folks discovered how effective they are and perhaps that is correlated to a good degree with shoot ability.

The 41’s might be more popular if that were the largest of the big bores. Many folks want the biggest. But lest anyone underestimate the capability of a 41, they should try one.

I know one shooter who enjoys a 41 and will admit that’s as much recoil as they want 😉 More recoil brings just that, but may not do anything more in the field on game. But again, it’s all about enjoying yourself. Good shooting folks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR
Never needed a 45 but had plenty of 22 thru 44’s in various rounds, short and long guns. Enjoy what you shoot, and shoot what will get the job done well.

Fwiw, many overlooked and underestimated perhaps the modest 6.5’s in rifles. Later, lots of folks discovered how effective they are and perhaps that is correlated to a good degree with shoot ability.

The 41’s might be more popular if that were the largest of the big bores. Many folks want the biggest. But lest anyone underestimate the capability of a 41, they should try one.

I know one shooter who enjoys a 41 and will admit that’s as much recoil as they want 😉 More recoil brings just that, but may not do anything more in the field on game. But again, it’s all about enjoying yourself. Good shooting folks.

I suspect majority of .41 Magnum buyers reload their own ammo, therefore, should be able to download .44 Magnum to realize lower recoil level. The .44 Special loads can also be used. From practical sense .41 Magnum is worth only 1 fart, or half fart more than 5,7x28.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Gibby
The .45 Colt checks all the boxes for me, no need to concern myself with anything else.
Maser, When was the last time you held a handgun in your hand, hell, any firearm?

Yes the 41 is easy to make shoot well. I load from 700 fps up to as much H110 as I can fit under the bullet. I use bullets from 165 gr cast, 210 gr cast, 250 gr cast, 170 Sierra, 210 Berry's plated, 210 Nosler HP, and 210 Hornady XTP. The cast bullets are powder coated.

Universal, Unique, Blue Dot, HS 6 for moderate velocity loads. Titegroup for low velocity, H110 for maximum loads.

I sold a six inch 657 a couple years ago. But still have a Taurus total titanium tracker (restricted to light loads only), a 657 Mountain Gun, a Ruger SBH bisley hunter, and a Marlin 1894.

The 165s at 700 fps shoot about like a 38 special, the 250s shoot like a 44 mag.

This notice has been around for a long time. I'm surprised you haven't noticed. Time to pull some bullets my friend.

You did notice that I listed Blue Dot as applicable in MODERATE loads.

I have been aware of the restriction on Blue Dot since it was advertised by the distributor. But as I never used Blue Dot over 900 fps with 210 gr cast or plated bullets, that has not concerned me.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Exactly. One can review my discussion on this forum twenty years ago asking about the purchase of a first handgun.

The 357 cracks too loudly and is obnoxious. The 44 is capable of producing more recoil than I want to deal with.

The arthritis in the thumbs and wrists has certainly not improved over two decades.

The 41 is the perfect compromise. I still do not own a 357 or a 44, or a 45 for that matter. Nor have I any regrets about that.

I shoot the aforementioned 250 gr over 20 gr H110. I know for a fact, though I have not done so, it would travel from the north end through to the south end of any Idaho elk.

I admit I am not tough enough to shoot it from the 657 MG. Though I have done so just to prove it could be done.

It is a comfortable load in the SBH bisley hunter. Especially with the scope mounted. The scope ALMOST eliminates muzzle rise.

What in the Hell would I want a 44 or 45 for?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Exactly. One can review my discussion on this forum twenty years ago asking about the purchase of a first handgun.

The 357 cracks too loudly and is obnoxious. The 44 is capable of producing more recoil than I want to deal with.

The arthritis in the thumbs and wrists has certainly not improved over two decades.

The 41 is the perfect compromise. I still do not own a 357 or a 44, or a 45 for that matter. Nor have I any regrets about that.

I shoot the aforementioned 250 gr over 20 gr H110. I know for a fact, though I have not done so, it would travel from the north end through to the south end of any Idaho elk.

I admit I am not tough enough to shoot it from the 657 MG. Though I have done so just to prove it could be done.

It is a comfortable load in the SBH bisley hunter. Especially with the scope mounted. The scope ALMOST eliminates muzzle rise.

To make Maser happy? laugh laugh laugh

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

.45 Colt🤩🤠

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have been a fan and user of the .41 Magnum in several M57 no dash revolvers for 40 years. It is terrific.

But, I forgot who said it, but it’s worth repeating. If you don’t like the recoil of the .44, you won’t be happy with the .41 either. I like both, but find the .41 Magnum about the perfect size cartridge for the N frame Smith.

Last edited by GF1; 03/23/24.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Currently Alliant doesn't list Blue Dot for .41 magnum loads.
They do state Blue Dot is a good powder for magnum handgun loads. That probably doesn't mean reduced loads either .
I think they know more about their products than other handload data by others

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

.45 Colt🤩🤠
Stars in your eyes? I bet! You just keep fantasizing. Maybe someday, you will be able to buy a hand gun? Or, are you a "disqualified" individual?

One might suspect your multiple personality disorder would trigger a "Red Flag" in California.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Currently Alliant doesn't list Blue Dot for .41 magnum loads.
They do state Blue Dot is a good powder for magnum handgun loads. That probably doesn't mean reduced loads either .
I think they know more about their products than other handload data by others

I doubt Alliant recommends Blue Dot for ultra reduced loads in bottle necked big game rifle cartridges either.

But it sure works well.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,506
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.