Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anyone here have this procedure performed on them or a loved one, close friends, etc?

If so what was your experience with it as far as success, problems, etc.?

Any other information is solicited.

Thanks

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My wife had it done several years ago. No problems. All works fine.She wanted to be awake through it but Dr. said not just no but heck no!!!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by fgold767
My wife had it done several years ago. No problems. All works fine.She wanted to be awake through it but Dr. said not just no but heck no!!!!

Much appreciate the feedback.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Anyone here have this procedure performed on them or a loved one, close friends, etc?

If so what was your experience with it as far as success, problems, etc.?

Any other information is solicited.

Thanks

Get it done in Cuba where the Drs are great and health care is free.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/21/24.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just had it done the 14th of this month. I feel great. Can't say what other docs do but I do have to wear a remote heart monitor for 30 days. Probably have a few monthly checks by the doc as well.

Frankly, it was a piece of cake. They put me on the operating table with a couple of IVs, cover me up literally all over and the next thing I know is I'm waking up in the recovery room. It's been eight days and day before yesterday they cleared me as being able to do the heart rehab. Apparently it was optional in my case but having done it once before right after my heart attack I jumped on the chance to do it again Just some work on a treadmil and stair stepper type machinrefor about an hour and the nurses were lots of fun.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We do a pile of them at my faculty. Easiest patients we get in the ICU. Come up to us about 90% awake, do 15 minute Neuro checks x1 hour, 30 min checks x1 hour, hourly checks then out. Moat of our folks go home that day. Some with co-morbid health factors stay overnight as a precaution. Very high success rate, we get people from quite a ways out. As long as you are comfortable with the particular Doc doing yours, I'd have zero hesitation. Much better that getting your sternum sawed in half.....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Last edited by wldthg; 03/22/24.

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Houston 2 ---- my above post shows a link to Medtronic -- My daughter works for Medtronic as a Consultant for TAVAR -- It's a pdf that walks you through the process----- Web

[Linked Image]
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My old lady works at the local cardiologist office out here, and that office does thousands of them, with no issues whatsoever. When issues arise, it's not from the TAVR, it's from the retarded patient who fails to follow simple directions.

She hears a lot of "oh well Joe is just stubborn"...... unless you are a solid candidate for a heart transplant, you can't really afford to screw around with your heart. Just an FYI. Follow instructions.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had it done four years ago. I was one of the ten percent or so that had to get a pacemaker implanted a couple of days later. The TAVR procedure messed up my "distributor" and my heart stopped. For six or eight seconds at a time. Not fun.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I just had it done the 14th of this month. I feel great. Can't say what other docs do but I do have to wear a remote heart monitor for 30 days. Probably have a few monthly checks by the doc as well.

Frankly, it was a piece of cake. They put me on the operating table with a couple of IVs, cover me up literally all over and the next thing I know is I'm waking up in the recovery room. It's been eight days and day before yesterday they cleared me as being able to do the heart rehab. Apparently it was optional in my case but having done it once before right after my heart attack I jumped on the chance to do it again Just some work on a treadmil and stair stepper type machinrefor about an hour and the nurses were lots of fun.
PJ

Thank you.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
My old lady works at the local cardiologist office out here, and that office does thousands of them, with no issues whatsoever. When issues arise, it's not from the TAVR, it's from the retarded patient who fails to follow simple directions.

She hears a lot of "oh well Joe is just stubborn"...... unless you are a solid candidate for a heart transplant, you can't really afford to screw around with your heart. Just an FYI. Follow instructions.

Thank you.
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
We do a pile of them at my faculty. Easiest patients we get in the ICU. Come up to us about 90% awake, do 15 minute Neuro checks x1 hour, 30 min checks x1 hour, hourly checks then out. Moat of our folks go home that day. Some with co-morbid health factors stay overnight as a precaution. Very high success rate, we get people from quite a ways out. As long as you are comfortable with the particular Doc doing yours, I'd have zero hesitation. Much better that getting your sternum sawed in half.....

Much appreciate your input.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by wldthg
Houston 2 ---- my above post shows a link to Medtronic -- My daughter works for Medtronic as a Consultant for TAVAR -- It's a pdf that walks you through the process----- Web

Much appreciate all who contributed.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Papag
I had it done four years ago. I was one of the ten percent or so that had to get a pacemaker implanted a couple of days later. The TAVR procedure messed up my "distributor" and my heart stopped. For six or eight seconds at a time. Not fun.

Dang!

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
🚂🚂

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Papag
BTDT. If there is a significant down side, this would be it. The procedure is well established and the valves proven. They should/will perform an angiogram (sp?) beforehand to determine if any other matters need to be corrected (such as blockage and consequent need for stents) prior to TAVR.

The noted problem comes as the inserted valve mechanism continues to expand and seat itself - that action can interfere with electrical pulses/signals and possibly cause cessation of function - basically a shut down for differing periods of time. I think such failure usually happens during the first three or four days after insertion.

It was explained to me beforehand as having a 5% probability of occurrence, but that probability may have changed since. I do not know the data regarding survival after such an event, but it was a rather extreme adventure. Mine has worked very well since that event and extended recovery from subsequent surgical mistakes, and I am grateful.

Absent concomitant heart issues, the odds for success are quite high.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
^^^^
CCCC, thanks, Man. I had open heart surgery done this past early December with replacement of the mitral valve (bovine tissue), 2 ablations, a clip and one minor bypass. Prior to that I had no idea of my condition that was caught on approval for surgery by my primary physician before a knee replacement. 3 years prior a complete cardio work up testing showed all was well and zero issues.

My aortic has minor leakage not yet described as even moderate but I may need the TAVR at a later time thus my queries on it from those with knowledge of it.

I do have a minor flutter remaining and will most likely have another ablation in the near future. I’m visiting the “electrician” in 2 weeks.

Again, my thanks to all of you guys for your input. It is appreciated.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My mom had it done about 18 months ago. Dr extremely pleased with results. She just had another follow up appointment. After he listened to her heart, he asked where she got the heart of a 20 year old. She’s 92.

Dale

This space for rent

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dale K
My mom had it done about 18 months ago. Dr extremely pleased with results. She just had another follow up appointment. After he listened to her heart, he asked where she got the heart of a 20 year old. She’s 92.

Dale

Remarkable for someone that age!

Thanks Dale.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (1_deuce, 1minute, 264mag, 17CalFan, 270cowboy, 1badf350, 29 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,066
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.