Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
So I'm planning a custom rifle and need to figure out a contour that is neither too heavy or too light. I'm planning a .308 build, with a barrel length of 20". I'm going to get it threaded 9/16" x 24, so the minimum barrel diameter at 20" has to be .662." I've looked at barrel contour charts until I'm cross eyed and can't figure it out. I think its close to a Remington standard sporter profile because it looks like a #2 is too light and a #3 is a bit too heavy. Any help would be appreciated.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
caii the barrel manufacture that way if it isnt right they should stand behind it
is a #3 douglas contour works thats what i would go with most makers can turn that contour

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Like most things, it depends. It depends on whose number two – a Bart 2b will get you there.

You’re REAL close with the Remington sporter as well.
https://riflebarrels.com/wp-content/uploads/remsport.pdf

It also depends on if you are wanting to buy from stock or willing to wait to order. Most of the manufacturers, if you are custom ordering, will allow you to spec a certain diameter at a certain distance. If you tell Lilja you want a Remington sporter contour that measures 0.63 at 20 inches, they can do it. Just be sure to be clear that it’s 20 inches measured from the initial taper etc. so there is no confusion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remington sporter .660 is the closes you'll get

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by duke61
Remington sporter .660 is the closes you'll get

Maybe OP would be willing to just go 19” and make life easy.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You could go with a carbon-wrapped barrel, keep the weight down and have enough meat for 5/8 - 24 threads
https://carbonsixllc.com/product/carbonsix/

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A #3 at 20” isn’t really heavy and will support 5/8x24 threads. I just did one on my 7/08ai.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by gene270
caii the barrel manufacture that way if it isnt right they should stand behind it
is a #3 douglas contour works thats what i would go with most makers can turn that contour

This ^^^^^. If you call Douglas and tell them what you want, they can help you decide. Tip for Douglas: If you special order the contour, there is an additional set up fee. However, if you order say a #3 contour and ask that they remove an additional 0.025" diameter from the straight section, that just becomes an order note, No Charge.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
You could go with a carbon-wrapped barrel, keep the weight down and have enough meat for 5/8 - 24 threads

I considered that but this is my once in a lifetime rifle, built off a G33/40 I inherited from a dear friend. It's going to be deep blued, Tsavo Custom exhibition grade stock so that wouldn't fit with the idea of a wood and blue build. Appreciate all the answers. I have looked at multiple barrels and many are 12 months out. As a once in a lifetime rifle, that I intend to use for every hunting trip I can squeeze in over the next however many years I have left, I want a great barrel. Stainless is out because it can't be blued which rules out Bartlein and several others who only use SS for their barrels. I've thought about a fluted barrel too, but it doesn't seem to fit with the classic sporter look I'm aiming for and really like. I'm off this week so guess I'll call or email some folks.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bartlein absolutely makes CM.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Bartlein absolutely makes CM.

You know you're right. I was looking only at the front page, where it only mentioned SS and Carbon barrels in stock. My bad and thank you for the correction. Torn between them and Lilja. I was looking at Hart but they're 12 months out. I have an account with Shilen but not sure I want to go with them for some undefined, nagging reason.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by the_gman

I considered that but this is my once in a lifetime rifle, built off a G33/40 I inherited from a dear friend. It's going to be deep blued, Tsavo Custom exhibition grade stock so that wouldn't fit with the idea of a wood and blue build. Appreciate all the answers. I have looked at multiple barrels and many are 12 months out. As a once in a lifetime rifle, that I intend to use for every hunting trip I can squeeze in over the next however many years I have left, I want a great barrel. Stainless is out because it can't be blued which rules out Bartlein and several others who only use SS for their barrels. I've thought about a fluted barrel too, but it doesn't seem to fit with the classic sporter look I'm aiming for and really like. I'm off this week so guess I'll call or email some folks.
Understood on the CF not fitting the build.
One thing I'll mention is that I recently had a Bartlein-barreled (SS) rifle Cerakoted with (I'm told) a new-ish color from Cerakote that mimics a blued finish.
It exceeded my expectations and I'm not a huge Cerakote fan.
LRI did the work.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by the_gman

Understood on the CF not fitting the build.
One thing I'll mention is that I recently had a Bartlein-barreled (SS) rifle Cerakoted with (I'm told) a new-ish color from Cerakote that mimics a blued finish.
It exceeded my expectations and I'm not a huge Cerakote fan.
LRI did the work.

I'd trust anything LRI do as they are phenomenal people to do business with us. However, I'm aiming for a full, deep, glossy blue, with nitre blued parts, Conetrol scope mounts and rings so anything other than a real 'blue' finish won't work sadly. The real PITA is that no-one, as far as I know, no longer make gloss blue scopes to match. I figure I'm going to be into this rifle for about $5K by the time I'm done so probably a Swarovski or potentially a Zeiss will be on this. I appreciate your input.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d go with Lilja.

Delivery times have been on time or earlier than expected.

It’ll be dead nuts accurate.

They’ll turn just about anything you want in stainless.

A small set up fee isn’t much if your spending $5k.

Anytime I order a custom contour, I draw it out with measurements. As they say… A picture is worth a thousand.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My vote is for the Lilja #3.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bartlein #3, possibly a #2b would get you a light stiff barrel.

I have a #3 at 18" in 308 Winchester that is 8.4lbs with with a McMillan Game Scout, a 5/8-24 Terminator T2 brake, a 23oz optic and steel mounts. It's handy and fits the bill for my original intent. Shoulder measures .740" at the brake.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put a .308 Winchester together. I used Lilja, for my barrel. I used a S/S 1-10 5R twist in a #3 contour.

This rifle will stack the bullet holes.

I'm using a N/F NXS 2.5-10x42.

The magic pixie dust got on this one. I've shot a few different bullet weights; they all worked great.

I don't think you will go wrong with a barrel from Dan.

Last edited by Spartacus; 03/29/24.

Texas
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Spartacus
I put a .308 Winchester together. I used Lilja, for my barrel. I used a S/S 1-10 5R twist in a #3 contour.

This rifle will stack the bullet holes.

I'm using a N/F NXS 2.5-10x42.

The magic pixie dust got on this one. I've shot a few different bullet weights; they all worked great.

I don't think you will go wrong with a barrel from Dan.

Thanks for the info. I'm strongly leaning towards Lilja at this point. I like the level of info he puts out on his site and I've heard good things about his barrels for years.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Sent you a PM

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What action are you using? I have a Hart sitting here for a Win 70, only 100 rounds down it.
Lilja makes good stuff

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (44automag, 01Foreman400, 808outdoors, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,487 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,095
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.