Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

XB-1 Takes Flight
video posted to YouTube on Mar 22, 2024

Today, Boom’s supersonic demonstrator aircraft, XB-1 safely and successfully executed its first flight at the Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, CA., flown by XB-1 Chief Test Pilot Bill “Doc” Shoemaker. Test Pilot Tristan “Geppetto” Brandenburg flew the T-38 chase aircraft which monitored XB-1 in the air.

Two decades after Concorde’s retirement, the first flight of XB-1 marks the return of a civil supersonic aircraft to the skies and paves the way for the revival of mainstream supersonic travel onboard Overture, Boom’s sustainable supersonic airliner.

YouTube channel: Boom Supersonic

X: https://x.com/boomaero

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I did that clear back in 1972...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very interesting, supersonic commercial travel coming back. Just as a curiosity for me, I've never flown on any aircraft before and not likely ever will.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
It is cool, and I understand it represents a technological advance. But I can't help being a little bummed that in 2024 we're getting excited about supersonic airliners when the Concorde first flew in 1969. Sometimes feels like progress has stalled.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a friend who flew on the Concorde half a dozen times. Says it was a fantastically cost-effective business tool.

RS

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The goal with these new designs is for "quiet" supersonic flight. It was sonic booms that limited where and when Concorde could fly, and that ultimately made it a commercial boondoggle.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Wow! A dart with razor blades for wings. Thing should haul ass for sure.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The goal with these new designs is for "quiet" supersonic flight. It was sonic booms that limited where and when Concorde could fly, and that ultimately made it a commercial boondoggle.

When and where Concorde could fly super sonic (I know that’s what you intended).

There’s demand for super sonic travel, even at the significant price premium, but people aren’t going to pay the premium if the NIMBYs keep it sub sonic for 2/3rds of the flight.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by RipSnort
I have a friend who flew on the Concorde half a dozen times. Says it was a fantastically cost-effective business tool.

RS

Maybe in 1970, but with internet now, I don't think so. I have my doubts about it back then even, tho I suppose writing the exhorborant(sp?) ticket cost would be an excellent write-off.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by BFaucett

XB-1 Takes Flight
video posted to YouTube on Mar 22, 2024

Today, Boom’s supersonic demonstrator aircraft, XB-1 safely and successfully executed its first flight at the Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, CA., flown by XB-1 Chief Test Pilot Bill “Doc” Shoemaker. Test Pilot Tristan “Geppetto” Brandenburg flew the T-38 chase aircraft which monitored XB-1 in the air.

Two decades after Concorde’s retirement, the first flight of XB-1 marks the return of a civil supersonic aircraft to the skies and paves the way for the revival of mainstream supersonic travel onboard Overture, Boom’s sustainable supersonic airliner.

YouTube channel: Boom Supersonic

X: https://x.com/boomaero

Daughter and I got to see it last year as part of a program to encourage student to enter the aviation field. We spent the day at the facility, talking with the engineers, checking out their huge 3d printers, their aerodynamic modeling software etc. One of the student got to play with their simulator. It was a good tour.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by RipSnort

RS

Maybe in 1970, but with internet now, I don't think so. I have my doubts about it back then even, tho I suppose writing the exhorborant(sp?) ticket cost would be an excellent write-off.

It makes sense. Some things just work better in person, or only work in person. Fly to Paris in 4 hrs, do the deal, fly back the next day. Instead of losing three days, dealing with time differences, etc, you lose one and a half, with much less wear and tear on the body.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
That makes sense, I guess. Internet makes dog-faced pony soldier lies less apparent. smile

Not to mention hand-delivering the bribe, if necessary.

Last edited by las; 03/24/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
'

This is their goal. I don't know if Boom will be successful but I hope they are.

[Linked Image from i.dailymail.co.uk]

The world's fastest airliner: Boom Supersonic Overture
By SHIVALI BEST FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 06:23 EDT, 17 August 2022 | UPDATED: 16:25 EDT, 17 August 2022
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...rliner-Boom-Supersonic-Overture-jet.html

smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Daughter and I got to see it last year as part of a program to encourage student to enter the aviation field. We spent the day at the facility, talking with the engineers, checking out their huge 3d printers, their aerodynamic modeling software etc. One of the student got to play with their simulator. It was a good tour.

Cool!! [Linked Image from cloudynights.com] smile

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Zero net Carbon? What does it burn? Water?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
'
These videos are from 2020. The Covid crap really put Boom's program behind schedule. Still, it's cool to see how they built the XB-1.

video posted to YouTube on Oct 7, 2020

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Zero net Carbon? What does it burn? Water?

From their website:

Future-forward on SAF

Sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) is the most promising solution for decarbonizing aviation, which is responsible for 2-3% of global CO2 emissions.

https://boomsupersonic.com/sustainability

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

NASA Is Bringing Supersonic Planes BACK
video posted to YouTube on Dec 12, 2023

"Twenty years ago, you could fly in a plane going FASTER THAN SOUND. The famous Concorde supersonic plane could get from New York to London in 3 and a half hours! It flew at an altitude so high you could see the curve of the earth, all while popping champagne. But then… these planes stopped flying, and we never made any more like them. Now, New York to London takes 7 hours.

But why? What happened to supersonic planes? And more importantly… can we bring them BACK? If you ask NASA, the answer is yes. We got to go see the brand new experimental X-59 plane they’re building. Here’s what’s really huge if true: If NASA succeeds, it could bring back commercial supersonic flight, and allow you and I to fly faster than sound."

YouTube channel: Cleo Abram (2.27M subscribers)

NASA’s Newly Unveiled X-59 Quiet Supersonic Plane Eyes First Flight (Trailer)
video posted to YouTube on Jan 12, 2024

"NASA and Lockheed Martin Skunk Works recently unveiled the X-59 experimental aircraft, designed and built to reduce a loud sonic boom, associated with faster-than-sound flight, to a quiet sonic thump. The X-59 now moves closer to its first flight — - a step toward making commercial supersonic flight over land a reality for everyone. Researchers on NASA’s Quesst mission will work to understand people’s reactions to the X-59’s thump and give that data to regulators, who will then consider writing new sound-based rules to lift the ban on commercial supersonic flight over land."

YouTube channel: NASA (11.7M subscribers)

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I see they claim carbon offset credits. Does that mean they are purchasing 1995 Cadilacs or 3/4 ton pickups and sending them to the crusher?

Offset

We commit to using only quality carbon credits for unavoidable emissions. Our portfolio balances carbon avoidance offsets in the near-term with carbon removal solutions for the long-term — leveraging only removals to achieve net zero carbon by 2025.

They make no mention of what the fuel is. Just lots of touchy/feely propaganda.

DOE has this to say about "Sustainable Aviation Fuel".

EERE » AFDC » Fuels & Vehicles » Sustainable Aviation Fuel

Printable Version

Sustainable Aviation Fuel

Sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) is an alternative fuel made from non-petroleum feedstocks that reduces emissions from air transportation. SAF can be blended at different levels with limits between 10% and 50%, depending on the feedstock and how the fuel is produced. According to the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), over 360,000 commercial flights have used SAF at 46 different airports largely concentrated in the United States and Europe.

Worldwide, aviation accounts for 2% of all carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions and 12% of all CO2 emissions from transportation. ICAO's Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA) caps net CO2 aviation emissions at 2020 levels through 2035. The international aviation industry has set an aspirational goal to reach net zero carbon by 2050. SAF presents the best near-term opportunity to meet these goals. The Sustainable Aviation Fuel Grand Challenge, announced in 2021, brings together multiple federal agencies for the purpose of expanding domestic consumption to 3 billion gallons in 2030 and 35 billion gallons in 2050 while achieving at least a 50% reduction in lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions.

This sounds much like the ethanol mandate fiasco wherein most of the carbon dioxide prevented by burning ethanol, was alternatively produced in the production/transportation of corn and conversion to ethanol.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I see they claim carbon offset credits. Does that mean they are purchasing 1995 Cadilacs or 3/4 ton pickups and sending them to the crusher?

...<snip>...

You're free to contact Boom and ask them about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,513
Posts18,472,386
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.