Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Its past time that I guess I have to play the game and get all my insurance quoted.

Back story - Home, 2 cars, boat, camper, personal liability all with AmFam and has been for like 20 years. Felt some loyalty to them as they have been great on some claims, 2 roofs (one last year), basement flood, totaled boat/truck/trailer), but time to look around. Last time I switched years back after finding lower rates, the new "lower" cost company was up over what I had been paying in a year - so not looking forward to this.

Anyways - open to any recommendations you guys might have.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
we've always carried farm and house insurance with Cameron mutual and or farm bureau

automotive insurance we switch quite often. usually rake shop every year if not every 2 years. I hate it when your insurance rates on vehicles go up as they get older and worth less make zero sense.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Been doing insurance restoration for almost 40 years.

If you are a veteran, or can qualify for USAA. give them a look.

State Farm used to be the easiest to deal with and we got the best deal for the homeowners, not so much today.

Farmers was also good, but they have become one of the worst, so much so that we quit doing estimates for Homeowners with Farmers.

AmFam, Allstate have always sucked.

Make sure the company you go with has their own adjusters and not a sub. Subs will fuqk the homeowner every time.

sorry, I couldn’t be more helpful, but in todays world, they all pretty much suck.

Oh, and if you have a basement, check out the policy very carefully, most now only offer a $5K max for sewer and sump failure. That 5K will barely cover the cost of clean-up.

Last edited by steve4102; 03/23/24.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I wouldn’t shop around. Go to an independent insurance company that represents many companies, and ask them to shop your needs and give you a quote.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amica if they are licensed to do business in your state.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have used Amica for the last 10 years or so and very happy with them. Most have never heard of them because they don't really advertise.

I deer ran into my new SUV in 2018. They allowed factory parts and my pick of body shops.
They almost insisted that I get a rental car on their dime. But I just drove my pickup a week or so while the repairs were being done.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had Shelter on autos for 32 years and homeowners with them since 1997.

I shopped around a couple different times and the guys who looked at my current rates said they couldn't beat them.

YMMV.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
USAA if you qualify.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Another vote for USAA if you qualify or Armed Forces Ins.

Depending on the location, Armed Forces might edge out USAA. It happened while I was stationed at Ft. Lewis WA and Ft. Riley. Now I'm back with USAA.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 03/23/24.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Was with USAA over 20 years. Got way to high. Was shopping around again the first of the year. they weren't competitive. State Farm won out. They go up I'll do it all over again. There's no loyalty in insurance.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It has been said that one should reevaluate and shop for new insurance every 4-5 years.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. I'm not USAA eligible - will head down some of the other suggested paths this week. Again THANKYOU!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Farm Bureau.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody but State Farm- - - - -they're OK as long as you never have to make a claim. If you have a claim against somebody insured by them, hire the sleaziest ambulance chaser lawyer you can find and head for the courthouse- - - -they will start serious settlement negotiations five minutes before the trial starts.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Farm Bureau has been incredibly good to us for over 25 years.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by steve4102

State Farm used to be the easiest to deal with and we got the best deal for the homeowners, not so much today.

Farmers was also good, but they have become one of the worst, so much so that we quit doing estimates for Homeowners with Farmers.

Make sure the company you go with has their own adjusters and not a sub. Subs will fuqk the homeowner every time.

sorry, I couldn’t be more helpful, but in todays world, they all pretty much suck.

Oh, and if you have a basement, check out the policy very carefully, most now only offer a $5K max for sewer and sump failure. That 5K will barely cover the cost of clean-up.

Spot on

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Based on past experience with Farm Bureau, it may be difficult to beat the quates. I would suggest finding a broker that represents multiple insurers. I have Chubb Private Client, which is pretty expensive, but they did not cancel me when we made a claim 5 days after moving in for a new roof, gutters and garage doors to the tune of about $50K. The nice thing is, I tell him what my guns, knives, reloaders, etc. are worth and just add it to my content coverage. Make sure to check that you are insured for replacement cost. If you lose your house in a fire, it will be extremely difoof luck.

Regards,

Kris

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by steve4102

I am in the same business. Yes on usaa. Farmers in my area has been much better. They actually return calls and pay quicker. Just did a 150k claim with farmers and it went great.

I usually recommend smaller to regional carriers. They are more broad on what they try to cover vs try not to. State Farm does suck usually. Travelers even more so.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was a regional marketing senior manager for 40 years. Managed a 40 mil portfolio for a regional carrier. Go find an independent agent of good reputation that has multiple markets. They can customize your coverage. I won't go into it but pricing has moved up nationally. This is a discussion with alot of moving parts reinsurance loss cost storm severity western fires distracted driving etc etc

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Price, coverage, deductibles and claims are all very important but are not exactly equal, especially when it comes to Home Insurance.

I good price is always a plus, but if you ever have to use it and the claims adjuster is less than helpful and you end up paying a Schit ton out of pocket, that price wasn’t so good after all.

Example.

You have an exterior fire, one side of your house needs new siding, windows, soffit and facia.

The siding cannot be matched to the rest of the house for a variety of reasons. Same with the sofit and facia, cannot be matched.

What does your policy say, will the Insurance company pay to side the whole house so it matches, or will they only to side the damaged side leaving you with an oddball exterior unless You pay to side the whole thing.

I have seen this happen many times over the years, same with shingles, tree falls on your roof and damages 25% of one side, shingles cannot be matched, insurance will only pay to replace the damaged ones, you pay the rest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1234, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,556
Posts18,473,040
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.