T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by TF49
Whoa.... lots of bobbing and weaving here.....

You seem to be willing to comment on others opinions yet here you are... starting topics and making statements that you refuse to acknowledge nor defend.

You made previous comments about hypocrisy and here you are..the kettle, calling the pot black. Whew!

So, first, the question that DBT runs away from.... simple, but both you and DBT avoid it.....

#1 "Must we know HOW something is made to know THAT it exists?"

I also tried to make it easier on the two of you... I restated: "...if one sees, holds a nd something... does one need to know HOW it came into existences to KNOW it exists?

This is ludicrously simple yet you two avoid it..... why?

You also objected to a previous wording of this question and implied that "conflation" paid a visit and the word "made" implied "being made by a sentient being". OK, that is a good comment, so I ask simply if there is evidence that something has been "made"... does that .... logically infer that a "sentient being was involved.

Again, very simple.... YOU brought this "sentient being" aspect up, not me.

I've already called out the word game you are playing and why it doesn't prove what you think it proves.

The universe exists.

We do not know how it came to exist.

That does not mean "god did it".

So, you make assumptions of what I said in the discussions... then argue against a point I never made regarding these two HOW/KNOW postings. What kind of conflating... or ...straw man or red herring is that?

You use the same word twisting you castigate others for.....

Since you have brought God into the discussion, let's run with that for a bit....ok

You did say that the universe does indeed exist and further state that "That does not mean 'god did it'." 

BUT, the current view of the "astrophysicists" of today all seem to believe that the universe had a "sudden" and dramatic beginning. Big Bang or "everything everywhere all at once" is what I read being talked about. Some how SOMETHING happened and the Universe just came into being....Right? (And don't give me that Magic Larry nonsense about the "Universe from Nothing." He's been proven to be a degenerate a fraud and just a self serving book seller.)

So, SOMTHING happened and the UNIVERSE is just suddenly HERE. Of course, there those that would say, "Well we don't HOW the universe began, but we KNOW that it did." It did indeed come into existence... but HOW is indeed an intriguing question.

Now... let me state as I understand YOUR meaning ..... You said.. paraphrased.... .."If there is evidence that something has been MADE, that implies the involvement of a sentient being."

So, let me ask all who are reading this post..... Do you see in the world around you..... the landscapes, oceans, deserts, plants, animals and of course ...us humans.....Do you see evidence that this world and this universe has been MADE?

Many have posted on this thread that they sense a "sentient being" when they behold nature, the stars and the world. I agree.

So there are really two logical choices when one regards the origin of all we see in this world today.... A or B

A - "Everything we see came from Nothing and we literally have no idea of how or why."

B - A great and almighty powerful "sentient being" MADE the Universe and this World and US.

I ,as do many of you..... vote "B"

You're wrong about the current understand of The Big Bang and it's implication for the early universe:

Nope, not off target at all…. The real issue, the one you try to avoid is not what I propose about the origin of the universe…..this video is just your attempt to divert …..and hide.

Did this narrator list not one but at least a half a dozen ill defined theories about possible alternatives or variations to the big bang….or what ever happened at the beginning? Yes he did….

Did the narrator offer a single most viable theory to the origin of the universe? No, he did not.

You are resorting to 13 minutes of bafflegab in a weak attempt to avoid the real issue.

The real issue is not about which theory is most current or even accurate…

You remind me those twerps that “abstain” or even “flee” when the time to vote…..or act comes upon us.

“A” or “B”……. Or perhaps “F”….for fear of being exposed.

I will mark you down as “abstaining for lack of conviction.”

Last edited by TF49; 03/23/24.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Btw…

Remember when you asked me what would be my fate if what I believed about God was false?

I agreed to answer if you would tell me what would be your fate if what I believed were true.

You agreed.

I answered and you did not…. You resorted to diversion and bafflegab.

So….the real issue is “A”….”Everything came from nothing”.

Or….”B”. The universe gives evidence of being “MADE” and that….by your own statement, requires the involvement of a “sentient being.”

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Feral_American
I'm going to throw a wrench into this whole mess.

I'm not just a copy cat believer in God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit like so many so-called christians. I've had PLENTY of time under a welding hood to ponder things over the last 40 years burning wire, including this subject.

I believe in spiritual destiny. That being everyone of us is here for a reason and on the exact path we are supposed to follow. The good, the bad, the indifferent, and the downright evil m'effers. Everything, and everyone is interconnected and what we do with our lives matters to those we come in contact with, however that is across the span of our lives. Maybe we don't see it, maybe we will never even know it, but it all matters. When God's Grace happens, and good things are bestowed upon us, or someone else, we are supposed to recognize it and be grateful. When something bad happens, we are supposed to look at it, in it, around it, for something, anything that has meaning to our own individual existence here, and do what we can to help those that have been hurt.

If you can't fathom any of that with an open free thinking mind, without it being spelled out in every minute detail ad nauseum, then you need to go spend your own 40 years under a welding hood. Your existence here, and the life you are living, is not random, or irrelevant.

I also believe this Great Nation was founded with Divine Providence. How else could a rag tag bunch of farmers defeat the most powerful and well funded military force on the planet, and go on to devise the best and most fair system of self governance ever thought up in the history of mankind. That was squarely the hand of God.

I am perfectly content with my beliefs.

This is the dumbest shiit I have ever heard! All that welding torched your brain! LOL!!!

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=DBT][quote=TF49]

Let me dumb it down for you…..try to follow closely….

No need, it's been as dumb as it gets for some time. All along in fact. wink

Seems you are again in full retreat…. Can’t back up your allegations….unable to participate in any sort of rational discussion.

Sorry you missed the point, guess I couldn’t dumb it down enough for you to either understand or offer any sort of thoughtful reply.

Meh…

Bluff and bluster. It is you in retreat. I asked you to give a rational explanation for why the bible tells us that God creates evil, and you failed to address the question.

The reason is that you are incapable, so slagging off is your only means of defense.

Simple question..

Of course. A simple mind like yours has a simple view of the world and asks simple questions

We’re getting nothing but weasel words and avoidance for you.

You made the allegation, not me….. as usual, you cannot back up another of your empty headed charges.

But….go ahead and answer the question….what are you afraid of?

That's your bluff.

Why not show that you have some substance and deal with the question rationally without resorting to mindless blather?

Again; why does the bible tell us that God creates evil? Not only that, but creates the 'wicked for the day of evil....

Are you capable of addressing the issue? Or are you going to keep running away?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Anyone care to guess how many people were killed worldwide fighting wars spurred by religion in the last 2,000 years?
If nothing else, religion has been a roaring success at keeping the population in check.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Anyone care to guess how many people were killed worldwide fighting wars spurred by religion in the last 2,000 years?
If nothing else, religion has been a roaring success at keeping the population in check.
A good example is the Ancient Israelites. Their book says they were instructed by God to kill every man, woman, child, infant, and even the livestock of particular regions or ethnic groups with the aim of completely destroying that group of people. They even committed mass genocide against other Jews. The Ancient Israelites made the Einsatzgruppen look like kindergartners.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by antlers
A good example is the Ancient Israelites. Their book says they were instructed by God to kill every man, woman, child, infant, and even the livestock of particular regions or ethnic groups with the aim of completely destroying that group of people. They even committed mass genocide against other Jews. The Ancient Israelites made the Einsatzgruppen look like kindergartners.

From RCSproulJr.....

A basic knowledge of Canaanite culture reveals its inherent moral wickedness. The Canaanites were a brutal, aggressive people who engaged in bestiality, incest, and even child sacrifice. Deviant sexual acts were the norm. The Canaanites’ sin was so repellent that God said, “The land vomited out its inhabitants” (Leviticus 18:25). Even so, the destruction was directed more at the Canaanite religion (Deuteronomy 7:3–5,12:2-3) than at the Canaanite people per se. The judgment was not ethnically motivated. Individual Canaanites, like Rahab in Jericho, could still find that mercy follows repentance (Joshua 2). God’s desire is that the wicked turn from their sin rather than die (Ezekiel 18:31-32, 33:11).

Besides dealing with national sins, God used the conquest of Canaan to create a religious/historical context in which He could eventually introduce the Messiah to the world. This Messiah would bring salvation not only to Israel, but also to Israel’s enemies, including Canaan (Psalm 87:4-6; Mark 7:25–30).

It must be remembered that God gave the Canaanite people more than sufficient time to repent of their evil ways—over 400 years (Genesis 15:13–16)! The book of Hebrews tells us that the Canaanites were “disobedient,” which implies moral culpability on their part (Hebrews 11:31). The Canaanites were aware of God’s power (Joshua 2:10–11; 9:9) and could have sought repentance. Except in rare instances, they continued their rebellion against God until the bitter end.

But didn’t God also command the Israelites to kill non-combatants? The biblical record is clear that He did. Here again, we must remember that, while it is true the Canaanite women did not fight, this in no way means they were innocent, as their seductive behavior in Numbers 25 indicates (Numbers 25:1–3). However, the question still remains: what about the children? This is not an easy question to answer, but we must keep several things in mind. First, no human person (including infants) is truly innocent. The Scripture teaches that we are all born in sin (Psalm 51:5; 58:3). This implies that all people are morally culpable for Adam’s sin in some way. Infants are just as condemned from sin as adults are.

Second, God is sovereign over all of life and can take it whenever He sees fit. God and God alone can give life, and God alone has the right to take it whenever He so chooses. In fact, He ultimately takes every person’s life at death. It is not our life to begin with but God’s. While it is wrong for us to take a life, except in instances of capital punishment, war, and self-defense, this does not mean that it is wrong for God to do so. We intuitively recognize this when we accuse some person or authority who takes human life as “playing God.” God is under no obligation to extend anyone’s life for even another day. How and when we die is completely up to Him.

Third, an argument could be made that it would have been cruel for God to take the lives of all the Canaanites except the infants and children. Without the protection and support of their parents, the infants and small children were likely to face death anyway due to starvation. The chances of survival for an orphan in the ancient Near East were not good.

Finally, the children of Canaan would have likely grown up as followers of the same evil religions their parents had practiced. It was time for the culture of idolatry and perversion to end in Canaan, and God wanted to use Israel to end it. Also, the orphaned children of Canaan would naturally have grown up resentful of the Israelites. Likely, some would have later sought to avenge the “unjust” treatment of their parents and return Canaan to paganism.

It’s also worth considering the eternal state of those infants killed in Canaan. If God took them before the age of moral accountability, then they went straight to heaven (as we believe). Those children are in a far better place than if they had lived into adulthood as Canaanites.

Surely, the issue of God commanding violence in the Old Testament is difficult. However, we must remember that God sees things from an eternal perspective, and His ways are not our ways (Isaiah 55:8–9). The apostle Paul tells us that God is both kind and severe (Romans 11:22). While it is true that God’s holy character demands that sin be punished, His grace and mercy remain extended to those who are willing to repent and be saved. The Canaanite destruction provides us with a sober reminder that, while our God is gracious and merciful, He is also a God of holiness and wrath.

Illegitimi non carborundum

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Without getting into quoting the Bible, like so many others.... I do have one simple question tho...

Why do so many atheists, while not believing in a God, still believe there is a SATAN?

I've ran across many of them, who think that way.

Why can so many people NOT believe in GOOD, but have NO problem believing in EVIL?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I beleive in a "creator", Has more evedence than science. So also there then must be a "God".

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

You seem to be willing to comment on others opinions yet here you are... starting topics and making statements that you refuse to acknowledge nor defend.

You made previous comments about hypocrisy and here you are..the kettle, calling the pot black. Whew!

So, first, the question that DBT runs away from.... simple, but both you and DBT avoid it.....

I also tried to make it easier on the two of you... I restated: "...if one sees, holds a nd something... does one need to know HOW it came into existences to KNOW it exists?

You also objected to a previous wording of this question and implied that "conflation" paid a visit and the word "made" implied "being made by a sentient being". OK, that is a good comment, so I ask simply if there is evidence that something has been "made"... does that .... logically infer that a "sentient being was involved.

I've already called out the word game you are playing and why it doesn't prove what you think it proves.

The universe exists.

So, you make assumptions of what I said in the discussions... then argue against a point I never made regarding these two HOW/KNOW postings. What kind of conflating... or ...straw man or red herring is that?

Since you have brought God into the discussion, let's run with that for a bit....ok

You did say that the universe does indeed exist and further state that "That does not mean 'god did it'." 

BUT, the current view of the "astrophysicists" of today all seem to believe that the universe had a "sudden" and dramatic beginning. Big Bang or "everything everywhere all at once" is what I read being talked about. Some how SOMETHING happened and the Universe just came into being....Right? (And don't give me that Magic Larry nonsense about the "Universe from Nothing." He's been proven to be a degenerate a fraud and just a self serving book seller.)

So, SOMTHING happened and the UNIVERSE is just suddenly HERE. Of course, there those that would say, "Well we don't HOW the universe began, but we KNOW that it did." It did indeed come into existence... but HOW is indeed an intriguing question.

Now... let me state as I understand YOUR meaning ..... You said.. paraphrased.... .."If there is evidence that something has been MADE, that implies the involvement of a sentient being."

So, let me ask all who are reading this post..... Do you see in the world around you..... the landscapes, oceans, deserts, plants, animals and of course ...us humans.....Do you see evidence that this world and this universe has been MADE?

Many have posted on this thread that they sense a "sentient being" when they behold nature, the stars and the world. I agree.

So there are really two logical choices when one regards the origin of all we see in this world today.... A or B

A - "Everything we see came from Nothing and we literally have no idea of how or why."

B - A great and almighty powerful "sentient being" MADE the Universe and this World and US.

You're wrong about the current understand of The Big Bang and it's implication for the early universe:

Nope, not off target at all…. The real issue, the one you try to avoid is not what I propose about the origin of the universe…..this video is just your attempt to divert …..and hide.

Did this narrator list not one but at least a half a dozen ill defined theories about possible alternatives or variations to the big bang….or what ever happened at the beginning? Yes he did….

Did the narrator offer a single most viable theory to the origin of the universe? No, he did not.

You are resorting to 13 minutes of bafflegab in a weak attempt to avoid the real issue.

You remind me those twerps that “abstain” or even “flee” when the time to vote…..or act comes upon us.

TF,

I appreciate you investing the time to watch the video.

Yes, it really is a lot to wrap one's mind around, that the singularity resulting from General Relativity is just a break down it the math and not necessarily the beginning of space/time, and quantum theory suggests it is not. As the vacuum state approached zero it becomes unstable. I guess nature really does abhor a vacuum.

You asked about the universe being created from nothing, but what there really ever a true "nothing"? Our current best understand of physics tends to indicate other wise, which changes the whole question to "Why is there something rather than nothing". The honest answer remains "We don't know". We're researching, we're leaning, we have some idea's, but as of today, we don't know.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Seafire
Without getting into quoting the Bible, like so many others.... I do have one simple question tho...

Why do so many atheists, while not believing in a God, still believe there is a SATAN?

I've ran across many of them, who think that way.

Why can so many people NOT believe in GOOD, but have NO problem believing in EVIL?

Seafire,

I wouldn't consider such a belief consistent with atheism. They still believe in a god, just an evil god. Many of the gods of old where not pleasant characters yet the believers were not considered atheist.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I wish I had more wisdom as to be able to join this discourse. I can easily see that those that use personal attacks and abuse really have nothing but their feelings and raw emotion. I also ponder if there is a God who created the entire universe and all things in it, and who was active moment by moment in all things, in all peoples lives, just how insignificant my thoughts and conclusions would be in the face of a being so mighty, that we are below gnats to men in our understanding of it all. If such a being existed his definition of good and what he wanted might be in conflict with our definition of good. Perhaps his creation of life, might be that in his immortal existence he wishes for life to become immortal with him, and this worldly existence is not the end. Some feel they have seen the supernatural, while others only see only coincidence. Perhaps there is a reason for this. We all are like the little boy with a bucket who said he was going to scoop up and pour the ocean into a hole he had dug on the beach, we don't even know what we don't know, we only think we know.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

The universe exists.

TF,

Yes, it really is a lot to wrap one's mind around, that the singularity resulting from General Relativity is just a break down it the math and not necessarily the beginning of space/time, and quantum theory suggests it is not. As the vacuum state approached zero it becomes unstable. I guess nature really does abhor a vacuum.

You asked about the universe being created from nothing, but what there really ever a true "nothing"? Our current best understand of physics tends to indicate other wise, which changes the whole question to "Why is there something rather than nothing". The honest answer remains "We don't know". We're researching, we're leaning, we have some idea's, but as of today, we don't know.
According to science,Simple "life" was created from acids and lightning, yet have never been able to recreate it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Diggerman

The universe exists.

TF,

According to science,Simple "life" was created from acids and lightning, yet have never been able to recreate it.

It's a little more complex then that. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
AS: You and I agree when you say "we don't know". There is a heck of a bunch more that "we don't know" than what we do know. We don't have the straight story on a lot of things that happened even in the last 200 years. It is pretty arrogant to claim authority over the truth because of a very sketchy much edited and forged record dating back centuries or millennia.

And don't you dare say that some of the record bears all evidence of forgery or of being added in to support control by the state/church alliance.

We absolutely have literate people that today believe in a young earth and a worldwide flood that left no land exposed.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
AS: You and I agree when you say "we don't know". There is a heck of a bunch more that "we don't know" than what we do know. We don't have the straight story on a lot of things that happened even in the last 200 years. It is pretty arrogant to claim authority over the truth because of a very sketchy much edited and forged record dating back centuries or millennia.

And don't you dare say that some of the record bears all evidence of forgery or of being added in to support control by the state/church alliance.

We absolutely have literate people that today believe in a young earth and a worldwide flood that left no land exposed.

Did I say something that triggered you? It wasn't my intent.

Yes, we have good evidence that 6 of the books attributed to Paul were written by the same author, 3 were not, and the other 4 are of questionable authorship. The 4 gospels of the NT were written by anonymous authors and the names Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John where added 100 some odd years later. These are just well established facts.

As for literate people believing silly stuff, well, yea, there's plenty of that to go around. Go check out the Q thread.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe in God. What I have a doubt in is organized religion.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is clear that some of those who post in threads like this are very well read/learned on these matters and have studied/thought deeply. Whether they are Christians willing to share their reasoning and experiences or non-Christians who do not embrace the Christian beliefs and faith in God (or those folks who sit somewhere between), they use their rational base for sensible discussion that evolves from the main topic of the thread. Others come in and ask sincere and genuinely helpful questions. I admire and support all of the above behavior.

You may have noticed that I do not post Scripture (as evidence or otherwise) nor preach what others should do with regard to their religious beliefs and convictions. Although quite open to interaction and discussion with sincere and questioning non-Christians, and although I sometimes and even frequently do so when opportunity arises, these threads are not very suitable for that part of my life. But - again - I fully support the interactions here as described in the initial paragraph.

Others insert themselves here for reasons that do not fit with the behavior of the sincere. Eventually they stoop to derision, name-calling, ad hom attacks, etc.. When I see such behavior, I tend to call it out, describe it, and address it according to its negative/divisive/destructive nature. Sometimes I do so with vigor and persistence. My human weakness sometimes enables me to enjoy the expository writing exercise. Thus came that post citing moths to the flame, flies to the sticky paper, etc.. I asked those types to openly state the reasons for their actions - but think I heard crickets.

Some very good people do not like forthright confrontational actions like those, and that may not fit with their personal definition of Christian behavior. I didn't write the definition, have no wish to influence how others define it, and so act because taking up the sword sometimes seems the very best thing to do. If any here interpret the confrontation of hypocrisy, insincerity and nastiness as poor behavior on my part, that is understandable. All is well.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I believe in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will just say, if you Know me, you already have the answer. I do not like this type fishing expedition. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 52 of 64 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 63 64

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,709
Posts18,475,378
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.