Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just acquired a Rossi M92, 24 inch stainless in 44 Mag. I'm thinking of using it for whitetail this fall. I was wondering what y'alls' experience is with cast lead bullets.

I've got a Lee C429-240-SWC mold, aluminum gas checks and a bunch of lead in various hardnesses.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They won't bounce off. I've used that bullet cast of pure lead in muzzle loaders with sabots in the past. Can't advise velocity, but I was only shooting 80 grains of pyrodex, so it probably wasn't much more than you will get out of your setup. They were quite deadly.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Jacketed bullets have never been down the barrel. And I’ve never recovered a cast either.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a Browning 92 in 44 mag and it would never feed a SWC. The classic Keith bullets in 240 or heavier made an overall length too long to clear the magazine. Other SWCs would catch on the bullet's shoulders and jam up.
So I am not sure if the Rossi copy of the Winchester M92 is going to be any better.

That said, I have killed a pretty large number of deer as well as elk and bears with SWC and LBT lead bullet all fired from revolvers and all (so far) and been 1 shot kills with most falling fairly quickly. I have also killed many ranch animals (horses and cattle) with my 44 magnum handguns and again I have had excellent success. So if you are going to use a cast bullet in the lever action you may need a mold that makes a bullet that has no sharp shoulder. An LBT type wide flat nose Gas Checked type is the best, but the cannelure has to set the bullet inside the case deep enough to feed.

If you get a mold to cast a bullet that is compatible with the rifle you'll have no problems at all killing deer

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've killed deer with a similar bullet in 44 revolvers. Load was 10 grains of Unique, which gave about 1,000 fps at the muzzle. I had to use 44 Special cases to make that bullet feed in a Marlin lever gun. I agree with szihn that an LBT design would be a better choice.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think I have shot about a half-dozen with the .44 using everything from 240 SWC's through 300 XTP's. If I were going to pick, I'd use a good SWC or Sierra's plain-jane 240 JHP, goosed to 1200 fps or better, and I'd try and nail the spine at the shoulder. Penetration in the right spot beats expansion in the wrong spot, ever time.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That combo should have no problem killing deer. Does your gun have the octagon barrel? My LGS has had one on the shelf for a few months.

Keep moving forward!
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingstrider
That combo should have no problem killing deer. Does your gun have the octagon barrel? My LGS has had one on the shelf for a few months.

Yes, 24" octagonal stainless.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My Rossi in .45 Colt feeds SWC well, hopefully your .44 does. It drops them with authority, at least within 60 yards. I can't speak from experience beyond that. My loads are beyond standard .45 loads, but not quite up to max-for-blackhawk data.

Dale

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by shaman
I just acquired a Rossi M92, 24 inch stainless in 44 Mag. I'm thinking of using it for whitetail this fall. I was wondering what y'alls' experience is with cast lead bullets.

I've got a Lee C429-240-SWC mold, aluminum gas checks and a bunch of lead in various hardnesses.

My experience is that they kill deer stone cold dead if you hit em in the front half.

Mine are all over about 80 gns of 777 2f, but the bullet doesnt know what its shot from.

Only a sample of 3.5 decades and a crap ton of 100lb NJ deer.
Not sure how I am doing it without a nightforce or a 6.5 creedmor, but it'l worwk and you will love it.

Nice gun, btw!

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
They won't bounce off. I've used that bullet cast of pure lead in muzzle loaders with sabots in the past. Can't advise velocity, but I was only shooting 80 grains of pyrodex, so it probably wasn't much more than you will get out of your setup. They were quite deadly.

Originally Posted by szihn
wide flat nose

^ this

Last edited by Crockettnj; 03/24/24.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by shaman

I like lead. 240-250 will work though I prefer more. That's not a bullet I'd choose though. 1) Meplat is too small. 2) The transition from 'shoulder' to meplat is rounded making what meplat there is less effective. In other words, it's truly a sh*t bullet design ... ease of casting taking priority over effectiveness in shooting. Fortunately, .44 is so much more than the minimum needed to kill a deer that it'll probably work out ok anyway.

I don't happen to have a .44 carbine right now and my bullets are selected for revolvers. The RCBS 250 grain SWCs (they've had 3 varieties over the years) and the Lyman 429421 are much better than the Lee bullet you mention because the meplat has a sharp corner at the edge which is much more effective .. and it is larger. My favorites, though, are the LBT 300 grain WLN bullets.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I shoot a Missouri BC 240 SWC out of my Ruger Marlin 1894. No kills with it yet, but good accuracy and no feeding problems. Loading 9 grains HP-38/W231 and velocity is around 1350 fps from a 20” barrel.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Jacketed bullets have never been down the barrel. And I’ve never recovered a cast either.

Bad the Fing Bone! Hell yeah!

I'm gonna try to 357 mag one this year, then on to the model 69 combat mag in 44!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by szihn
I had a Browning 92 in 44 mag and it would never feed a SWC. The classic Keith bullets in 240 or heavier made an overall length too long to clear the magazine. Other SWCs would catch on the bullet's shoulders and jam up.
So I am not sure if the Rossi copy of the Winchester M92 is going to be any better.

That said, I have killed a pretty large number of deer as well as elk and bears with SWC and LBT lead bullet all fired from revolvers and all (so far) and been 1 shot kills with most falling fairly quickly. I have also killed many ranch animals (horses and cattle) with my 44 magnum handguns and again I have had excellent success. So if you are going to use a cast bullet in the lever action you may need a mold that makes a bullet that has no sharp shoulder. An LBT type wide flat nose Gas Checked type is the best, but the cannelure has to set the bullet inside the case deep enough to feed.

If you get a mold to cast a bullet that is compatible with the rifle you'll have no problems at all killing deer

My Rossi wouldn't feed Keith bullets in Magnum cases (too long), but if I loaded Keith bullets in .44 Special cases, it fed quite well. That was in two Rossi's I had (20" and a 16"). I do NOT know if they'd feed in the next Rossi, but in my two carbines, they worked like a champ. I had quit casting by that time, though, and mostly used commercially cast RNFP for fun shooting. I usually got 4" groups at 100 yards with 240 XTPs with AA#9, and they killed deer really dead.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Find a LEE RANCH DOG MOLD. They are made for lever guns & work great in the dozen or so I've got. Size 'em 2 thous. over bore dia. & go forth and kill stuff!!

Scott

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a (Ruger) Marlin 1894 a couple weeks ago. I'd said that if they ever went to 1/20 twist, I'd buy one. They did and I did. Tried some 300 grain WFNs I had loaded for my 77/44. They grouped good at 50, but don't choot worth a chit at 100 yards.

I was kinda disappointed, but WFNs will do that. Or, I have another problem, but regardless, some time will be spent this weekend finding out. I found out that this rifle can handle an OAL 0f 1.710", so I'm going to try some Beartooth Bullets 300 grain Dual crimp groove LFN GCs at that length. These bullets are no longer in production and I'll have to figure something out if they shoot good. I'll reshoot at 25 yards to rezero and then move further out

Another one I'm going to try is Sierra's 300 grain Sports Masters, a jacketed flat-nose that has a very hard core, so expansion is minimal at the speeds I'll push it (1500 to 1550 fps). It also is for long cylinders and if crimped in the cannelure OAL is 1.725", but have no fear, there is a Lee FCD here, and 1.710" it is.

Another option I have already loaded up (I've had a 44 mag rifle and several pistols previously) is the standard 240 grain/H110 loads.

All that is assuming I don't have another issue with the gun besides bullets being WFNs, which can be inaccurate at long(er) range.

We'll find out. I would prefer a LFN GC to a jacketed bullet, and would like that to be a 300 grain one.

Last edited by Vic_in_Va; 03/27/24. Reason: finish sentence
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought some 250 grain WFNGC (wide flat nose gas check) hard cast bullets to use in my 1-38” twist 1894. Pushed at 1500-1700 fps I can’t imagine catching one inside a deer. Haven’t shot anything yet with this combo.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,524
Posts18,472,626
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.