Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Hard to understand why all these fantastic LR shooters that post on this forum never entered any competitive shooting events like the Wimbledon Cup at Camp Perry? My guess is because they’re basically FULL OF BULLSHIT!

This argument is one that continuously makes me shake my head.

Some folks just aren’t into competition, formal or informal. No interest whatsoever.

That doesn’t mean they are or are not good at shooting, or even better than many who do compete.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to understand why all these fantastic LR shooters that post on this forum never entered any competitive shooting events like the Wimbledon Cup at Camp Perry? My guess is because they’re basically FULL OF BULLSHIT!

Please explain in detail what the Wimbledon Cup and hunting have common, beyond shooting rifles.

One happens on a known distance range with sighters before shooting a long string of fire for score and that one is not hunting.

Also explain how a rifle suitable for the Wimbledon Cup would do double duty as a hunting rifle.

As you won't be able to answer it's not hard to decern who is "FULL OF BULLSHIT".

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Please explain in detail what the Wimbledon Cup and hunting have common, beyond shooting rifles.

One happens on a known distance range with sighters before shooting a long string of fire for score and that one is not hunting.

Also explain how a rifle suitable for the Wimbledon Cup would do double duty as a hunting rifle.

As you won't be able to answer it's not hard to decern who is "FULL OF BULLSHIT".

🤣

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
About 10-12 years ago.
A guy w/screen name JerryBoy on PredatorMasters website I think- commented on his shooting skills with an AR-15 he had put together. Some doubters [3] challenged him to prove his comments. They met up at a Gun Range and he backed up his online comments- the doubters were stunned by his talent shooting at long-range. JerryBoy then helped the guys [doubters] with some advice and tuning on their guns.

Another guy on [ArcheryTalk] same scenario but with a compound bow, Bowtech 80lb. draw @ 80 yards- shot mind-blowing groups.
Neither of these guys had ever been in any type of competition and both said competing didn't interest them. The doubters were happy to comment on what spectacular shooters both of these guys were.
over.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Don't forget manicured range, usually flat, and wind flags.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Ringman

Years ago I was told by the owner of Bob's Accuracy Shop I was the beset long range shooter he ever saw. By then I already was soured on official group competition.

Years before that I took my Freedom Arms .454 to a silhouette match. I was used to hitting jack rabbits beyond 100 yards regularly. I was surprised at how large the targets looked. I used the .454 for all kinds of hunting and started to use my hunting stance. Someone told me where to start. Some clown came over and interrupted me with,
"Hey, you can't use an artificial rest." I was holding the bottom of the pistol grip on the fat part of my left hand with my left elbow against my chest like I saw rifle shooters doing.
"What? That's me!" I argued.
"Well, here that is an artificial rest," he continued.
I looked around and saw some guys laying on the ground with their elbow on the ground holding the handgun against the side of their leg. I laughed and told the guy I wouldn't be seeing him again, and left.
Perhaps others feel the same way I do about fun that is not fun is not fun.

You got to witness Creedmore when it was a shooting position and not a caliber

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
About 10-12 years ago.
A guy w/screen name JerryBoy on PredatorMasters website I think- commented on his shooting skills with an AR-15 he had put together. Some doubters [3] challenged him to prove his comments. They met up at a Gun Range and he backed up his online comments- the doubters were stunned by his talent shooting at long-range. JerryBoy then helped the guys [doubters] with some advice and tuning on their guns.

Another guy on [ArcheryTalk] same scenario but with a compound bow, Bowtech 80lb. draw @ 80 yards- shot mind-blowing groups.
Neither of these guys had ever been in any type of competition and both said competing didn't interest them. The doubters were happy to comment on what spectacular shooters both of these guys were.
over.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There seem to be a lot more shooters that like to kill stuff now days than there are people who like to hunt. I shoot some woodchucks occasionally and when I do I tell my wife I'm going to go shoot some woodchucks. I have a hard time calling it "woodchuck hunting" when I'll be sitting overlooking a large field with a .22-250 perched on a bipod in front of me. Obviously 740 yards is farther than Burns should be shooting at antelope based on the gut shot due to "a slight miscalculation of wind".

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Blackheart
There seem to be a lot more shooters that like to kill stuff now days than there are people who like to hunt. I shoot some woodchucks occasionally and when I do I tell my wife I'm going to go shoot some woodchucks. I have a hard time calling it "woodchuck hunting" when I'll be sitting overlooking a large field with a .22-250 perched on a bipod in front of me. Obviously 740 yards is farther than Burns should be shooting at antelope based on the gut shot due to "a slight miscalculation of wind".
+P

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Things happen at all distances and not every hunt is over with one shot. I am not scared to show a miscalculation and how I fixed the issue to become better.

Here is better.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Things happen at all distances and not every hunt is over with one shot. I am not scared to show a miscalculation and how I fixed the issue to become better.

Here is better.

If you expect me to believe you haven't made a bunch more "slight miscalculations" that resulted in badly hit/wounded game but didn't make it into one of your videos you're nuts.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I hearing the same thing every year, Anyone that uses technology and methods newer than 1850 is doing it wrong!

1890?

1920?

1945?

1960?

1980?

Jacketed bullet, Oh my!

Optics on a rifle, That's crazy talk!

Nobody ever had to take a second shot with a 30-40 or an iron sight 30-30 when I was a kid...Ya, right!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There's always going to be slobs that care more about bragging {or making videos and selling rifles} than making clean kills. You don't need to add to the slob numbers by taking shots where "a slight miscalculation" can cause a bad hit and an animal to suffer because you're a braggadocious ass hole. I passed up a very nice buck at 59 yards season before last with my crossbow. I can put arrow after arrow into a 3" bull at that range but my target can't move/take a step/jump string while my arrow is in flight. I filled that buck tag a few days later from 17 yards where the odds of that were very nearly zip. If you can get closer do it. If you can't and it's too far to be certain in case of a slight miscalculation, an errant breeze or movement of the game, don't shoot. I admit I have taken some less than certain shots myself in the past and although they always worked out, I know I was lucky and I don't take those kind of shots anymore. I know sooner or later my luck would run out, an animal would suffer for it and I would feel like shyt. I will do what I can to avoid that.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hott Damn !!? it looks like the social security and entitlement threads have made it down here now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colodog
Nobody ever had to take a second shot with a 30-40 or an iron sight 30-30 when I was a kid...Ya, right!

🎯

I heard of a guy just last season that had a contest with his buddies to see who could kill the biggest buck with their lever actions and iron sights

He shot one at 80 yards

About 5 times

🤣

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess them there slob 100 yard hunters don't exist either. Or should I say shooters.

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/24/24.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There's always going to be slobs that care more about bragging {or making videos and selling rifles} than making clean kills. You don't need to add to the slob numbers by taking shots where "a slight miscalculation" can cause a bad hit and an animal to suffer because you're a braggadocious ass hole. I passed up a very nice buck at 59 yards season before last with my crossbow. I can put arrow after arrow into a 3" bull at that range but my target can't move/take a step/jump string while my arrow is in flight. I filled that buck tag a few days later from 17 yards where the odds of that were very nearly zip. If you can get closer do it. If you can't and it's too far to be certain in case of a slight miscalculation, an errant breeze or movement of the game, don't shoot. I admit I have taken some less than certain shots myself in the past and although they always worked out, I know I was lucky and I don't take those kind of shots anymore. I know sooner or later my luck would run out, an animal would suffer for it and I would feel like shyt. I will do what I can to avoid that.

So you base YOUR inability to make a clean shot at 59 yards with a crossbow and had to close the distance to 17 yards so there was no chance YOU would miss

And apply your lack of skill and improper equipment to long range hunters with rifles capable of killing game to a mile ?

there was a line Forrest Gump quoted

I'm sure you know it

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Swamplord

So you base YOUR inability to make a clean shot at 59 yards with a crossbow and had to close the distance to 17 yards so there was no chance YOU would miss

And apply your lack of skill and improper equipment to long range hunters with rifles capable of killing game to a mile ?

I'm sure you know it
It was never a question of "missing" dumbass. We already know about YOUR lack of hunting ability since YOU can't get near a moose, can't you read either ?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Swamplord

I'm sure you know it
It was never a question of "missing" dumbass. We already know about YOUR lack of hunting ability since YOU can't get near a moose, can't you read either ?

Because YOU can't ... doesn't mean others have the same disability

not by Forrest Gump, btw

“Never let someone's perception determine who you are.”

“Never be limited by other people's limited imaginations.” — ...

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
R
RHM Offline
R
From day one of sending a projectile out of a barrel more accuracy and distance has been sought after.

It’s always been LR nothing new about it.

Last edited by RHM; 03/24/24. Reason: Short range would be a far more modern way of thinking
Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,126
Posts18,483,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.