Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Pros/cons to one over the other? Trying to load some .357,.38spcl and .44mag loads and wondering which die to buy, Redding offers both. Looks like a taper crimp could possibly get you better case life?

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Loading hot loads for revolvers, roll crimps are preferred. One reason is to ensure good burn with slow (for handguns) powders, especially ball powders like H110/W296. The other reason is to keep the remaining bullets in the cylinder where they belong under the heavy recoil generated by hot loads. If the bullets come creeping out of their cases under recoil you could end up with the cylinder getting stuck, unable to turn. That can spoil your day under some circumstances.

Taper crimps are for autopistol rounds that headspace on the forward end of the chamber.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For light revolver target loads, I’ve done a lot of both and can’t say I’ve noticed much difference. Generally, I roll into crimp grooves and taper for semi-auto.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by cra1948
Loading hot loads for revolvers, roll crimps are preferred. One reason is to ensure good burn with slow (for handguns) powders, especially ball powders like H110/W296. The other reason is to keep the remaining bullets in the cylinder where they belong under the heavy recoil generated by hot loads. If the bullets come creeping out of their cases under recoil you could end up with the cylinder getting stuck, unable to turn. That can spoil your day under some circumstances.

Taper crimps are for autopistol rounds that headspace on the forward end of the chamber.

And adding on to this fine answer: buy and use the Lee Collet crimp.
Lots of guys mess around with other approaches and then finally realize that Lee built a better mousetrap.

https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/home/crimping-44-magnum

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Roll works ok for straight wall stuff, but there can be a really fine line between no crimp and buckling casings with seat/crimp combo dies. When I was loading 38-40 and 44-40 I never used the seater as the crimper... lost too much brass attempting it.

For anything with a shoulder I like the Lee FCD.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by zcm82
Roll works ok for straight wall stuff, but there can be a really fine line between no crimp and buckling casings with seat/crimp combo dies. When I was loading 38-40 and 44-40 I never used the seater as the crimper... lost too much brass attempting it.

For anything with a shoulder I like the Lee FCD.

Yes, .38-40 and .44-40 are thin cases and need to be handled with care and a degree of precision.

For all my loads that require crimping (which for me is all handgun loads) whether roll or taper crimp I seat and crimp in two separate steps. If I don't have individual seat and crimp dies, I back off my die until the case is not engaging the crimp profile section of the die. With .44 magnum and .357 magnum this is just a matter of putting the ring that comes with the dies to switch from "magnum" to "special" under the die's lock ring. Then I seat bullets, adjusting the seating plug down until I've got my overall length right. With taper crimped loads this usually means within a few thousandths of the length given in published data for that bullet/case/powder combination. For roll crimped I like to see the case mouths either halfway up the cannelure on jacketed bullets or just short of the top of the crimp groove on cast bullets.

When all my bullets are seated it's time to adjust the crimp die, whether this means setting up a separate crimp die or backing off the seating stem of a combination seat/crimp die and using it to crimp. I run a cartridge with the bullet seated up into the crimp die, then start screwing down the crimp die until it makes contact. When it makes contact I back the cartridge out of the die, adjust the die down a small amount, maybe an eighth of a turn, and run the cartridge back up into the die. Then I back it out and take a look. I repeat as necessary until I get the results I want. With taper crimp dies, this means a measured dimension across the mouth of the case over the bullet. This is usually .003 - .005 under the nominal case mouth dimension. With roll crimps on jacketed bullets I like to see about half the thickness of the brass pushed into the cannelure (eyeballed measurement.) With cast bullets I like to see the case mouth rolled into the crimp groove as much as possible.

When I think I've got everything right, I measure across the case just below the crimp to be sure I haven't pushed the case out or distorted it with too much crimp.

Another factor that affects handgun ammo quality, particularly with the big revolver cases loaded with slow burners, is the size of your expander. You can't make up for a looser than optimum case to bullet fit by crimping. For the best in accuracy with such loads it's important to have a tight fit on your bullet.

Oh, one other little detail: I get my handgun brass in, usually, boxes of 500 from Starline. When I get a box of revolver brass I go through the entire batch and trim the case mouths. There are two reasons for this. First, they all need to be the same length to crimp consistently. Second, to get a good, consistent crimp, you need a square, sharp edge at the case mouth. Starline brass tends to be very uniform as far as length, but nothing formed by impact extrusion is going to have as uniformly square a surface with the sharp edges that a cut provides.

Patience and attention to detail will help you avoid 99.9% of the problems people encounter reloading handgun ammo. For top notch accuracy and consistency I think the bullet to case fit and the seating/crimping part of the process are the big things.

I may have gone a bit beyond the OP's original concern, hope it helps.

Mathew 22: 37-39

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Depends--- the type of shooting dictates a lot of it. Recreational shooting with Cowboy guns and hunting allows for more "attention" to single rounds, and crimp dies are a good choice
If your shooting 20,000 to 30,000 Practice rds. a year for IPSC type matches and reloading on progressives - taper crimp

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Etoh
Depends--- the type of shooting dictates a lot of it. Recreational shooting with Cowboy guns and hunting allows for more "attention" to single rounds, and crimp dies are a good choice
If your shooting 20,000 to 30,000 Practice rds. a year for IPSC type matches and reloading on progressives - taper crimp
The OP was talking about straight walled revolver cartridges. The lee Collet doesn't require uniform case length to do its job.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have switched over to a Redding profile crimp die. It tapers and rolls at the same time. With the roll being less than a regular crimp die does.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cra1948
Oh, one other little detail: I get my handgun brass in, usually, boxes of 500 from Starline. When I get a box of revolver brass I go through the entire batch and trim the case mouths. There are two reasons for this. First, they all need to be the same length to crimp consistently. Second, to get a good, consistent crimp, you need a square, sharp edge at the case mouth. Starline brass tends to be very uniform as far as length, but nothing formed by impact extrusion is going to have as uniformly square a surface with the sharp edges that a cut provides.

I use a Lee collet style factory crimp die on all the cartridges the OP mentions, and a few others. Case length and squareness of the "cut", and even the squareness of the entire case mouth is simply not an issue (all within reason of course). Very forgiving crimp method that eliminates a lot of time investment.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I use a Redding profile crimp die for loading my .475 Linebaugh rounds. Never had a problem with a bullet jumping crimp.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use a taper crimp for 9mm and 45 Auto and plated bullets for 38/357. 38/357 mag and 45 Colt regular jacketed and cast get a roll crimp.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (163bc, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10ring1, 31 invisible), 1,882 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,487
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.