Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I was at the best annual sports show in my area this past weekend. I spoke with a dozen or so elk outfitters, all over western US. A few guys I really enjoyed chatting with but got back and researched reviews online, and was thoroughly disappointed with ALL of them.

I got a great recommendation on here a year ago in looking for a moose outfitter. So I'm back again, trying to book a 2025 hunt. I'll start by saying I recognize what I'm looking for may not be everyone's preference, but it's mine nonetheless.

So reality is that I own a small business and have 2 little kids. I dont have the ability to disappear off the grid. So while I'd love the opportunity to go live in a tent in the wilderness on horseback, it's not in the cards.

I'm looking for a place that doesn't blow smoke with empty promises. No one can guarantee an elk, but I'd like a place that is going to get me an opportunity. I'll be rifle hunting. I'll be 40 next year in average/fine health, without physical limitations but I also don't run marathons in my free time.

On my prior point, I need a place with a lodge, specifically a place with wifi, because I don't have the ability to disappear from work. Ill need to follow-up on work stuff in evenings after the hunt.

Bonuses that would be cool but not mandatory-- the ability to hunt other species. Other interesting bonus would be hunting on horseback. I don't know [bleep] about horses but it would be neat to trek through wilderness on horseback.

Price wise, it would be nice to keep cost at or less than $10k if possible. I'm not too particular on location. I'd go anywhere. I'm not interested to going to some 100 acre game farm, which is the equivalent of walking into the zoo with a gun in my mind...

Anyone with firsthand experience of elk outfitters that would fit the bill, I'd greatly appreciate it!

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Be prepared to up your 10K cost estimate.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Be prepared to up your 10K cost estimate.

This
You could call the Diamond Cross Ranch in southern Montana. You WILL get a great elk trophy and with incredible amenities but you will pay for it. All in I’d double your budget sans taxidermy.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have no recent experience with them, but when I was into the elk hunting addiction the Jicarilla reservation in northern New Mexico was a great option. Godawgs57 is a serious elk hunter with recent experience. Horses sound great but they introduce many expenses and, ironically, limitations.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Go DIY. get what you pay for.

Don't gobble at me
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Flashdog
I have no recent experience with them, but when I was into the elk hunting addiction the Jicarilla reservation in northern New Mexico was a great option. Godawgs57 is a serious elk hunter with recent experience. Horses sound great but they introduce many expenses and, ironically, limitations.
The second you include “lodge” in the equation (and there’s nothing wrong with that) ten grand goes out the window.

Elk hunting, it seems, is a definite “you get what you pay for “ situation these days. If 10K is your limit, then so be it. Have the very best 10K hunt you can, and set your realistic expectations accordingly.

Wishing you the very best of luck this fall.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Look into Flat Tops Adventures. He is very well recc on Bowsite and has a lodge or horseback hunts in Colorado.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Go DIY. get what you pay for.

Totally. Elk are cool, but they ain't 20k cool. Take the rifle and tent and enjoy the mountains. Toss a deer tag in your pocket too. You never know....

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks for those who have replied so far. A few comments on the comments to this point. DIY is not really in the cards, as I don't have the time or geographical knowledge to prep for something like that.

The $10K limit was a hope, not a requirement. If the going rate is higher than that for a good operation, so be it. I threw $10K out there because I have come across quite a few outfitters that were at the $10Kish number that essentially checked all the boxes I was looking for, except the reviews were universally NOT GOOD. So if those prices I was seeing was a function of getting what you paid for, I get it. If that's the case and the cost is more for a good outfitter that's actually going to do a good job, then I guess I'll need to pony up.

I have aspirations of going back to Africa in 2026, so I was trying to be cost effective on the elk hunt in 2025, since I'm doing moose in 2024. But these trips cost money when you deal with good outfitters. So I'd rather spend extra and be happy with the experience, than deflated that I wasted money on a [bleep] hunt because I tried to save a buck.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Chama Land and Cattle Company , Vermijo Ranch in New Mexico both have lodges. To book a hunt in2025 might not be possible. Probably in the $15K-$18 K range

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
There are quality hunts out there for your budget, they will be hunts on public ground - maybe a few with private access, but no gimmies.
Getting in this year or next may be the issue.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Chama Land and Cattle Company , Vermijo Ranch in New Mexico both have lodges. To book a hunt in2025 might not be possible. Probably in the $15K-$18 K range
Vermejo just had a significant cutback in their number of tags available. Elk, mule deer and possibly pronghorn. 15-18 wouldn't get you there anyway. Bull elk was 19 last year 2x1, mule deer 9-10 K 2x1.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Vermejo just had a significant cutback in their number of tags available. Elk, mule deer and possibly pronghorn. 15-18 wouldn't get you there anyway. Bull elk was 19 last year 2x1, mule deer 9-10 K 2x1.

WOW!!!!!!!!!

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Look into some of the “ranching for wildlife” hunts in Colorado. I hunted in one of those 10 years ago and a buddy has hunted there annually for a number of years, and kills elk every year. It was $5000 when I hunted there. I expect it’s approaching $10,000 now. We stayed in a ranch house, not a fancy lodge. License included, if I recall correctly. Saw numerous elk. My brother hunted with me, 2:1 guided. We both shot bulls. The trophy quality was not so great, rag horn bulls. If the trophy quality was high, the cost would follow, it’s that simple. But I think it would be hard to not kill a bull there.

Last edited by dale06; 03/25/24.

NRA Patron
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by saddlesore

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Price wise I think the Diamond Cross was 17k last I heard . Nice hunt area no horse if you don’t want.
Goes up every year.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Perhaps you've figured this out OP but if not I'll say it: Anybody good has a waiting list and doesn't need to go to shows/advertise, etc. Most if not all good places have repeat bookings. I walk out the door of my DIY place every fall and say I'll see you next year, let me know when you set your rates, etc.

Given that, you might consider pushing out your dates a few years to expand your pool.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Pretty tough to find an opening with an outfitter that has really good areas to hunt, especially the ones who hunt the larger private ranches. They all have plenty of repeat hunters that come every year, and some have corporate clients that basically take their entire booking each year. Getting a spot with many of these outfits is not gonna happen for 2025, maybe look at 2026 or 2027. My son and a friend found a hunt that suited them and booked it back in 2022 for this fall. He spoke with their outfitter recently and asked about a hunt for couple others who’d like to go in 2025. Nope, already booked full.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I looked at all the places referenced. Some of them look REALLY nice. I certainly wasn't expecting 5 star accommodations. When I said "lodge" i simply meant i needed a place that had wifi and hopefully cooked some food for you. I just can't be in a tent off the grid for a week.

Of all the options, Chama looks intriguing for a combo of the price and package. Id rather keep it less than $12k but if you're already spending that much, what's a little more?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Sun Ranch near Ennis Montana has lodge hunts. 5 days for $6500. I have no idea how many years in advance you have to book.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Over many years while living in Los Angeles, I went on six outfitted elk hunts. All were tent hunts in the far back country of four different western States. Others here have offered good advice on your questions, but I'll give you a bit of advice IF you book a horseback hunt.

Unless you are already a decent horseback rider, during the summer before going, go to a stable in your area and rent a horse to ride. If you've never ridden, take a few lessons from a trainer. If you know how to ride, keep your balance, setting your stirrups' length for YOUR legs, etc., you'll enjoy your trip much more.

Just a suggestion. Good luck on your hunt.

L.W.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 03/25/24. Reason: Sp.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 7887mm08, 300s, 2UP, 10 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,624
Posts18,474,085
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.