Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
If we move back up I am considering hauling this up when we move as it is sitting on my property:
https://www.loweboats.com/hunt-fish/jon/tiller/l1852mt-aura.html

Slap a Kenai legal jet outboard on it and maybe a small steering console and call it good. Should be good for lakes as well as the occasional river journey.
Thoughts?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Better have a jet outboard lined up quite hard to find! During covid and before tough to get one with a year lead!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
If the boat moves with us (if we sell the house) I won’t be buying an outboard till spring of 25.
Good choice for small rivers such as Little Su, 20 mile, and the occasional Kenai trip as well as small lakes?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That looks like a light gauge riveted boat.
It probably shouldn't be taken into shallow water that would require a jet pump.

Then you'll have to decide if it's worth hauling from TN to AK

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The power penalty of a jet is too high for Kenai and lakes, IMO. How much skinny water do you plan on?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd stay with a tiller and get a 50hp with both a jet and prop lower. You won't win any races on the river with the jet, but you'll be fine. The prop would be the way to go for lakes or summer Kenai. Once you swap them out a couple of times you'll get pretty fast at it.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
As I said before, the occasional trip up 20 mile or Little Sue.
Light boat, 50 hp jet, 2 adults and fishing gear
And it’s not enough power for the Kenai or the rivers I mentioned?

A Tohatsu 40 HP jet has a 60 HP powerhead. People used to run 40 hp on the Kenai in much heavier boats.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It’ll work, but you may become frustrated lacking full power. Kenai used to have a lot of 50hp detuned to 35hp, but still with props. They ended up doing more bank erosion they were supposed to prevent, by being underpowered and more difficult to plane. Boat have a tag stating max HP?

Ptarmigan just found the easy button above. 👍

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
can't use a 60 hp powerhead on the Kenai River above the bend below the bridge, 50 HP max powerhead regardless if jet or prop

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Swamplord
can't use a 60 hp powerhead on the Kenai River above the bend below the bridge, 50 HP max powerhead regardless if jet or prop

Did not know that. Thank you

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

A Tohatsu 40 HP jet has a 60 HP powerhead. People used to run 40 hp on the Kenai in much heavier boats.

Like mentioned above, no 60hp powerhead on the Kenai. My little 50hp Tohatsu TLDI does just fine pushes a couple guys and gear up 20mile. I've carried my caribou camp, my son, and a quartered caribou with no issues in my 1752 Aweld.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

Like mentioned above, no 60hp powerhead on the Kenai. My little 50hp Tohatsu TLDI does just fine pushes a couple guys and gear up 20mile. I've carried my caribou camp, my son, and a quartered caribou with no issues in my 1752 Aweld.

Are you running a prop or jet?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

Are you running a prop or jet?

Just a jet on mine. A prop would be nice though for lakes and bigger rivers.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I would avoid a riveted boat also personally. FWIW. Rivets are tough on rivers in TX where I still run in the winters. They all eventually come loose and need to have all the rivets welded. This after some years of running rivers in AK. Both riveted and not riveted boats.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The natives go everywhere here with riveted boats.

Just remember switching from prop to jet will require a lift, either manual or electric.
And moves the motor back several inches, which in turn sinks the azz end deeper.

Not a huge deal, but everything has pros / cons.

You can correct that with pods. Then you will wish it was bigger.

I would bring it up, leave it as is and use it

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Snow,
Is the transom height and side height 21” and 20” respectively.?

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Riveted is definitely not my first choice but in fairness I have seen what can be done out of a 16 or 18’ Lund. And it’s a bunch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve tightened rivets up with a sledgehammer against one side and strikes with a ball peen on the other side..then painted it with Marine Tex. Worked.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Snow,
Is the transom height and side height 21” and 20” respectively.?
It is and that is marginal for the Kenai with all the "woke" wakes.

First factor in all hull speed:power calculations is length to width ratio at the waterline. Short and wide leads to excess wakes and lost power.

Flat bottoms start bringing in "reserve bouancy" concerns, especially in high wake areas like the Kenai. In calm water they are very stable and standing on the gunwale is no issue. But lots of reserve bouncy leads to snap-acting in rougher water. Coupled with very low sides it takes the fun right out of it. Older folks do not respond well to sudden surprises in their footing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calvin
Riveted is definitely not my first choice but in fairness I have seen what can be done out of a 16 or 18’ Lund. And it’s a bunch.
I believe the lighter Lunds are at least .125".

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1234, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,638
Posts18,474,424
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.