Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need some guidance.
I have a Remington 722 in 222. The extractor is not pull the case from the chamber.
I am setting up the rifle with a Criteron Remage barrel.
What are my options and who is a good recommendation for repair or alteration?
I am in Ohio. Local is preferred but not necessary.

Thanks
Mark

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
419 or Short Action Customs comes to mind.
Lee Gardner in Illinois.
Depending on problem and cartridge but a m-16 extractor installed could be an option just send the action to a good smith they can figure it out.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
go ar-15 extractor and not sako, sako use to be the go to, but i feel the extractor is better

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
There are several original Remington M722 222 extractors on eBay

I wouldn’t alter the bolt

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
M-16 is an AR style extractor, I wouldnt alter the bolt either unless the problem or cartridge warrants it.
I'm assuming your staying with the 222 correct?

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/24/24.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Is the extractor loose in the groove...able to be rotated by hand?

Forbidden Zoner
Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am staying with 222. The extractor will not rotate. I contacting a couple places today for an M16 extractor.
Short Action Customs
And
LRI.

I'm not familiar with either but going to check them out

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
With the bolt removed, does the case extractor groove fit into the extractor securely?

Did this just start with the new barrel? If so, it's possible the bolt nose is contacting the barrel. What are you using to set the headspace?

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Listen to Al here he has some very good advice maybe a simple solution. If you do go the M-16 route Chad at LRI does good work.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not saying it couldn't be the extractor, of course.

But I ran into a similar deal last year. Local guy got a prefit barrel for a 700 and after installing it, the extractor wouldn't pull the case. I took a look and what he thought was the chamber head spacing on a new piece of brass (first mistake) was actually the bolt nose jamming into the counter bore in the barrel as it wasn't machined deep enough (barrel plumbers mistake). Even after being set with my head space gauge, extraction was iffy. The extractor groove on the new brass was a little bit forward from his old brass and the base to datum on the new brass was .006 shorter than his old brass. Not surprisingly, the old brass worked fine. So all this added up to point to the extractor not working. crazy Of course, It wasn't the extractor at all.

After getting everything squared away on it, the bolt nose clearance was still too tight...right at .003. I addressed that for him and all was good.

The fact that O.P.'s extractor is not able to be rotated is a good thing.

I mention this only because the bolt could be sent away for a new extractor and it might still not work if there's other stuff involved. Like always, check everything and understand how everything fits together and has to work together. The glut of prefit barrels...some of which are truly nasty things...cause 'way more problems that you generally hear about. The good ones can be a fine way to do it and the bad ones will make a shooter wish their father had never met their mother.

Just sayin'.....

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I suggest if you go the M-16 route send the barrel with the action to make sure the counter bore is correct, a couple pieces of brass wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure extraction works before it leaves the smiths shop.

Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
TY AI
I will look further into it. This is my 1st adventure into a prefit remington barrel.
I very much appreciate the guidance

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Let us know what you find out. Stuff like this can be hard to sort out 'long distance'. 😪 -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since there's a bunch of Rem722 knowledge here about extractors, I hope OP doesn't mind me asking a similar question. I've got a 722, originally it was a rusty barreled 257 Roberts. I had it rebarreled with a Douglas lightweight contour in 7mm08 back in the 80's and it's seen a lot of use. I've known ever since I got it that the extractor is not attached, in fact it looks like it never was as the little square hole in it doesn't look like its ever been soldered and it's never failed to extract. I can slide the extractor spring around just till the end of it hits the ejector button.

I've thought about having the Sako extractor installed, not sure but think this is the same as the M16 extractor everyone's been talking about here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by AZmark; 03/25/24.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AZmark
I've thought about having the Sako extractor installed, not sure but think this is the same as the M16 extractor everyone's been talking about here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
It's not the same.
It's usually a mini-M16 extractor. A narrowed and shortened M16 extractor to better fit the M700 bolt.
The mini-M16 extractor is preferred over the Sako extractor by most custom builders.

Mini M16 extractor vs. Sako extractor

B L M - Bureau of Land Management

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,708
Posts18,475,359
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.