Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had the misfortune of driving through, or around, Baltimore 8 or 10 times in the Big Rig. The traffic was horrible. I hate to think of what it will be with I 695 shut down.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
O
How long do you suppose it will take to get the permits and

paperwork to build a new bridge?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
ATTENTION

We can't spend our $$$$$ on bridge upkeep! Those $$$$$ must go to Ukraine!!

What, exactly, from a maintenance perspective could have been done to keep this bridge standing after a strike from a 95,128 ton ship?

A robust bridge fendering system.

A fender trying to stop a 100K plus ton ship moving at two or three knots, there isn't a fender in the world that would stop it.

I suspect that the vessel was going a bit faster than that, but there are fendering systems that will prevent direct contact with the bridge. I have seen islands of rock built around bridge support structures. Some extending over 100 yards away. That would have prevented this. That option may not be practical for that location, but I'll bet when the bridge is rebuilt, they'll find a way to substantially improve upon the previous system.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Fox News (FWIW) just reported that no foul play was suspected. How can they maje a statement like that so soon into this event? It takes the NTSB six months or more to figure that out on most accidents.

They are told what to broadcast. The best way to control the narrative is to tell the story you want told first, then repeat it often.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder if it's possible to cyber attack the onboard computer from afar?

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Fox News (FWIW) just reported that no foul play was suspected. How can they maje a statement like that so soon into this event? It takes the NTSB six months or more to figure that out on most accidents.

Feedback from the pilot on board.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
So it looked like he was turning into the channel. Power went out, probably overcorrected trying to steer while the power is off. Power comes back on and now all the sudden he is headed straight for the pier. Power flickers again, he tries to back up (which even anyone who has driven a bass boat knows is counterproductive but instinctive) and slams into the pier.

I don’t know schit about big ships or bridges but that looks like what happened just watching the various videos out there.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gnoahhh lives in Annapolis I sent him a text at 5:50 this AM. He just got back he is still among us..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by CashisKing
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Looks like the bridge is just sitting there with not much side support other than that.

Last edited by GAGoober; 03/26/24.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by oldcuss

The bigger question is when will the Port of Baltimore reopen... IF EVER.

FYI... there is a bridge in the channel.

Some Stock Market moves here...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I wonder if it's possible to cyber attack the onboard computer from afar?

Maybe...

But I am going to go with the local human factor instead... LOTTA brokedickness in Baltimore.

Water in fuel because it wasn't checked properly... No idea, but crap like that is where my guess is going to be.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It’s Baltimore. What are the odds that the pilot was some union/DEI hire who usually slept through the transit? Once again, I know nothing about ships or bridges.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by oldcuss

The bigger question is when will the Port of Baltimore reopen... IF EVER.

FYI... there is a bridge in the channel.

Some Stock Market moves here...

I suspect that the channel can be cleared and opened relatively quickly. Much of that depends upon water depth and clearance over the obstruction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It’s Baltimore. What are the odds that the pilot was some union/DEI hire who usually slept through the transit? Once again, I know nothing about ships or bridges.

Very low odds. Pilot associations are known for nepotism and chronyism. They are nigh impossible for an outsider to crack and generally beyond outside influence.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by jimone
Will this close the port for long period?

It might, this is a really big deal. I don't know about Annapolis or whatever Navy presence in the area might be effected. Locking the Navy into their port could really upset the defense of the east coast, too. This is a big deal.

Baltimore is not a Navy Port. It is however the leading Auto Import Port to the U.S. Also deals in Coal I believe.

Anyone know where the camera was located?

Dundalk terminal?

It appears that the Dali left the Seagirt Terminal and after being released by the tugs headed for the bridge and made a slight deviation to starboard about two or three ship lengths from the bridge.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 03/26/24.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
Just saw the teevee. FBI said no terrorists involved. And Brandon's been told about it. So everything is ok. Just calm down. Heroic efforts are under way.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by jimone
Will this close the port for long period?

It might, this is a really big deal. I don't know about Annapolis or whatever Navy presence in the area might be effected. Locking the Navy into their port could really upset the defense of the east coast, too. This is a big deal.

Baltimore is not a Navy Port. It is however the leading Auto Import Port to the U.S. Also deals in Coal I believe.

Correct... We also ship lots of timber overseas from B.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I know virtually nothing about ships, but don’t those big ones run giant diesel engines? Which means a power interruption would not affect the engine, but would affect the steering and control of the engines?

It’s not like they have a stop/start feature like on new cars.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Loved taking that bridge detour back in the day. That's way tall to fall in the water all of a sudden. Negligent pilot. Or drunk like Valdez.

Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,630
Posts18,512,055
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.