A
No affiliation, 1992 vintage.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1043464073

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I was looking for a rifle to rebore to one as I did not know there was ever a factory rifle made in it in LH. Found a rifle but my project may have hit a snag though as it appears USPS lost it in transit to JES....

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
No affiliation, 1992 vintage.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1043464073

This would be just the ticket for a "shoot a little, carry a lot" rifle where you might occasionally want a bigger hole in the barrel...

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Had a buddy send me that same one. Tempting but I accidentally bought a cooper 204 left hand this last weekend so unfortunately funds are now slim....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That gun is tempting. Mercer is not far from me.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd like one. But not that bad!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by akgrant
I was looking for a rifle to rebore to one as I did not know there was ever a factory rifle made in it in LH. Found a rifle but my project may have hit a snag though as it appears USPS lost it in transit to JES....

I'm sorry that your A-Bolt has gone AWOL. I was kind of curious to hear how the rebore would turn out. I've never seen a factory 35 Whelen in a LH model so I always assumed I would have to build one myself. Same story if I ever wanted a 257 Roberts or a 300 H&H Magnum. There's several classic calibers that just never seem to pop up in LH models. A LH laminate Ruger MkII in 30-06 popped up a few days ago & I bookmarked it to ponder a similar conversion. But fortunately someone hit the higher-priced "Buy it Now" button & saved me from spending more money.

Originally Posted by TjIA
Tempting but I accidentally bought a cooper 204 left hand this last weekend so unfortunately funds are now slim....

Small world. I just "accidentally" bought a LH Cooper in 22-250 so my firearm piggy bank is a bit anemic right now too. grin

Originally Posted by martentrapper

When I think of acquiring a donor rifle, buying or reboring a new barrel & possibly getting a new stock, then the price isn't too bad for this one since it includes the Talley rings, Timney trigger & dies. But fortunately I'm running out of room in my small gun safe & I have everything I could possibly need so it's finally getting easier to not use rationalizations like that to buy stuff that intrigues. A lack of space is finally tempering my bad impulses. I appreciate AKwolverine sharing the link because not too long ago, I would have considered whether this was a good fit for my collection. Now I've gotten really picky for the last couple of empty slots.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by odonata

I'm sorry that your A-Bolt has gone AWOL. I was kind of curious to hear how the rebore would turn out. I've never seen a factory 35 Whelen in a LH model so I always assumed I would have to build one myself. Same story if I ever wanted a 257 Roberts or a 300 H&H Magnum. There's several classic calibers that just never seem to pop up in LH models. A LH laminate Ruger MkII in 30-06 popped up a few days ago & I bookmarked it to ponder a similar conversion. But fortunately someone hit the higher-priced "Buy it Now" button & saved me from spending more money.

Tempting but I accidentally bought a cooper 204 left hand this last weekend so unfortunately funds are now slim....

Small world. I just "accidentally" bought a LH Cooper in 22-250 so my firearm piggy bank is a bit anemic right now too. grin

When I think of acquiring a donor rifle, buying or reboring a new barrel & possibly getting a new stock, then the price isn't too bad for this one since it includes the Talley rings, Timney trigger & dies. But fortunately I'm running out of room in my small gun safe & I have everything I could possibly need so it's finally getting easier to not use rationalizations like that to buy stuff that intrigues. A lack of space is finally tempering my bad impulses. I appreciate AKwolverine sharing the link because not too long ago, I would have considered whether this was a good fit for my collection. Now I've gotten really picky for the last couple of empty slots.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed as USPS has to notify ATF when they lose a firearm and I've heard that it may take a month but it usually turns up. I don't normally have that kind of luck, but I'm trying to stay positive for now. I too had bookmarked that MK II 30-06 in case I needed a replacement after all (actually my first choice, but had little hope of finding one reasonably priced), but people certainly are snagging them up pretty quickly at high prices! The solution to your current issue is fairly simple- For roughly the cost of one of your remaining slots, you can buy a bigger safe and then have many more available slots for future purchases, lol! It might push back the actual filling of some slots for a bit but you will have much more room for cool new stuff!! After this mess is figured out that is probably going to be my next move- I'll try to find a used one at half the price on Marketplace or other local listings if possible.

Last edited by akgrant; 03/27/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I own a LH KS 35 Whelen. Love it!

Roy

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The solution to your current issue is fairly simple- For roughly the cost of one of your remaining slots, you can buy a bigger safe and then have many more available slots for future purchases, lol!

My willpower & purchasing discipline sucks so that advice is not very helpful. Recently I asked the guys on these forums to help me buy the one perfect rifle for a particular hunting scenario & I wound up buying two instead. It's a problem! grin

The next empty slot will probably be filled by a lightweight SxS for upland hunting. Cast-on for a left-hander. Straight English stock. Upgrade to the double triggers option. Maybe 20ga. This one should be fun to mull over for a while.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The solution to your current issue is fairly simple- For roughly the cost of one of your remaining slots, you can buy a bigger safe and then have many more available slots for future purchases, lol!

My willpower & purchasing discipline sucks so that advice is not very helpful. Recently I asked the guys on these forums to help me buy the one perfect rifle for a particular hunting scenario & I wound up buying two instead. It's a problem! grin

The next empty slot will probably be filled by a lightweight SxS for upland hunting. Cast-on for a left-hander. Straight English stock. Upgrade to the double triggers option. Maybe 20ga. This one should be fun to mull over for a while.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
LOL, sorry about that! The pictured SxS is beautiful, I'd love to have but have a much harder time spending a lot of money on a shotgun than a rifle for some reason. I hope you stick with the color case hardening, it's definitely tops in my books. If I was going to do this I'd probably go for a 28ga over a 20ga myself but either will do nicely!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed as USPS has to notify ATF when they lose a firearm and I've heard that it may take a month but it usually turns up. I don't normally have that kind of luck, but I'm trying to stay positive for now. I too had bookmarked that MK II 30-06 in case I needed a replacement after all (actually my first choice, but had little hope of finding one reasonably priced), but people certainly are snagging them up pretty quickly at high prices! The solution to your current issue is fairly simple- For roughly the cost of one of your remaining slots, you can buy a bigger safe and then have many more available slots for future purchases, lol! It might push back the actual filling of some slots for a bit but you will have much more room for cool new stuff!! After this mess is figured out that is probably going to be my next move- I'll try to find a used one at half the price on Marketplace or other local listings if possible.
I had a GB buy go missing with UPS once. The FFL put in a claim, got approved and refunded me. 2 full weeks later it showed up out of the blue at my receiving FFL. What a royal PITA. The seller (an FFL) had reported it as a stolen firearm to ATF so I was real hesitant to accept delivery. The seller got an all good email from the ATF that he sent me but I still don’t know if I 100% trust it.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just FYI Montana 99 made a short run of LH 35Whelens SS/Syn.

I loved My Custom LH 220 Swift Montana 99

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Good news! Rifle turned up and was delivered late yesterday. Not a single scan from coast to coast..... I'll let you guys know how the 35 Whelen rebore turns out once it's done!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 41 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,628
Posts18,474,244
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.