-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is there a Red Dot mount that will fit an older S&W 629-1 in the existing sight holes without drilling/tapping additional holes in the top strap?

Last edited by centershot; 03/25/24.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You will have to ask on S&W forums. Most on here own old revolvers and usually do not shoot them let alone add an optic to them. Those that have optic equipped revolvers usually own newer ones set up to accept scope bases or rails.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is none that I know of, I've been looking in vain for something like that for my older K-frame revolvers.

Weaver used to make a no-drill scope base for S&W's but it's clunky and has a high possibility of damaging the finish, plus I don't know if they made it for N frames. That's a K frame in the pic I got off the web.

[Linked Image from i.servimg.com]

If you do decide to drill and tap the top mount, an EGW red dot mount that's made for multiple footprints will fit into the existing rear sight channel and the two added holes in the top strap are covered by the sight when you replace it.

P.S. Unless I'm mistaken, there is only one hole in the top strap and that is for the front screw just over the barrel. The sight elevation screw doesn't go into a hole in the top strap, the back end of the sight is held in place with a little mortise thingamabob - at least that's the way it is on my revolvers predating the 629.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You will be money ahead to just have your gun D&T'd so you can use a good mount.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
There is none that I know of, I've been looking in vain for something like that for my older K-frame revolvers.

Weaver used to make a no-drill scope base for S&W's but it's clunky and has a high possibility of damaging the finish, plus I don't know if they made it for N frames. That's a K frame in the pic I got off the web.

[Linked Image from i.servimg.com]

If you do decide to drill and tap the top mount, an EGW red dot mount that's made for multiple footprints will fit into the existing rear sight channel and the two added holes in the top strap are covered by the sight when you replace it.

P.S. Unless I'm mistaken, there is only one hole in the top strap and that is for the front screw just over the barrel. The sight elevation screw doesn't go into a hole in the top strap, the back end of the sight is held in place with a little mortise thingamabob - at least that's the way it is on my revolvers predating the 629.

That looks like a mount I had on a k frame…. It was called a “B Square” and was ugly as sin but worked….. I’m pretty sure it got added to my pile of beer cans headed to the recycling center.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, Bclark, BangPop, 6 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,686
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.