Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Hey, folks! First post here. Some time ago, I purchased a NOS Bausch and Lomb FN Mauser scope mount off eBay. Despite it being in the original box, the set is missing the spacer block from the diagram below. The type I need is for an FN Mauser rifle, but I could also use one for a Husqvarna (which also used the FN Mauser action) if someone has one so marked. I have included a picture of the diagram from the instruction manual showing roughly the appearance of the missing part.

Thank you for your time.

Attached Images
B&L spacer.png (170 KB, 209 downloads)
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I have a front and rear base marked mauser, doesn reall look like that . Just 1piece I think

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Is that a Balvar or Kuharsky type mount ?

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
There are several different styles. If you have a one-piece B&L/Kuharsky mount for an FN Mauser (long action), I would also be interested in that. Edit - I already have one of these and it is marked "98" on the bottom, but it doesn't work with my rifle since the rear screw hole is in the wrong location.

Attached Images
IMG_7246 (1).jpg (61.76 KB, 183 downloads)
Last edited by Q_Sertorius; 03/26/24. Reason: Added picture
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
That specific one is a Bausch & Lomb FN Mauser mount for a Bausch & Lomb Baltur/Balfor/Balvar scope. Edit - I added a picture to show the problem. Without that mounting block/spacer, the rear mount is lower than the front mount.

Attached Images
IMG_7251 (1).jpg (36.53 KB, 183 downloads)
Last edited by Q_Sertorius; 03/26/24. Reason: Added picture
IC B2

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Here is another picture of what it should look like (picture is of another rifle I own). The spacer/block goes between the rear mount base and the top of the action.

Attached Images
IMG_7252.jpg (50.46 KB, 181 downloads)
Last edited by Q_Sertorius; 03/26/24.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Check out my post on here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What you have is the second/later style of 2-piece adjustable bases where the rear base uses the same top/elevation piece with different bottom "blocks" for each specific application. The "block" that you need should be marked "Mauser". I might have an extra first/older rear Mauser base, but it attaches to the rifle via the receiver sight screw holes on the right side of the receiver, just forward of the bolt.

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
What you have is the second/later style of 2-piece adjustable bases where the rear base uses the same top/elevation piece with different bottom "blocks" for each specific application. The "block" that you need should be marked "Mauser". I might have an extra first/older rear Mauser base, but it attaches to the rifle via the receiver sight screw holes on the right side of the receiver, just forward of the bolt.

I already have a couple of the two-piece mounts for a Mauser, because that was going to be my first solution. The rifle already has receiver sight screws (it originally had a Lyman 57 peep sight on it). Unfortunately, the Mauser two-piece mounts block the bolt. I could shave off a bit of the Mauser two-piece mounts, but if I can find a the block I need, then I would prefer to do that. Edit - I added a picture that shows the nature of the problem with this mount.

Attached Images
image0 (4).jpeg (27.94 KB, 153 downloads)
Last edited by Q_Sertorius; 03/27/24. Reason: Added picture
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Still looking.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Q_Sertorius

I already have a couple of the two-piece mounts for a Mauser, because that was going to be my first solution. The rifle already has receiver sight screws (it originally had a Lyman 57 peep sight on it). Unfortunately, the Mauser two-piece mounts block the bolt. I could shave off a bit of the Mauser two-piece mounts, but if I can find a the block I need, then I would prefer to do that. Edit - I added a picture that shows the nature of the problem with this mount.

I went and dug thru all My B&L mounts and Kuharsky's , and the only Mauser set I have is the same as yours , side Mount rear. I did find 3 Balvar scopes I had Packed away in the Move to Oklahoma i had forgotten about.
Sorry I don't have what you need...
Rich
On a side NOTE , If you have a Block I could copy or exact drawings with precise measurements , I could Machine one up for you out of a solid block of Aluminum.

Last edited by Mooseman684; 03/28/24.

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a FN Sako with a B&L and Kuharsky base, I am not familiar with B&L bases, however Kuharsky bases are frequently on ebay, it might take some time to find the exact one you are looking for, but it will show up sooner or later

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by Mooseman684

I went and dug thru all My B&L mounts and Kuharsky's , and the only Mauser set I have is the same as yours , side Mount rear. I did find 3 Balvar scopes I had Packed away in the Move to Oklahoma i had forgotten about.
Rich
On a side NOTE , If you have a Block I could copy or exact drawings with precise measurements , I could Machine one up for you out of a solid block of Aluminum.

The only other block I have right now is securely mounted to my Husqvarna 9.3x62. I also had to slightly modify it so it didn't block the bolt. But... if I found another one of them, what would you charge for the machine work? Because there are a number of other old mounts out there missing the blocks and I really like these mounts on most of my old rifles.

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by johnn
I have a FN Sako with a B&L and Kuharsky base, I am not familiar with B&L bases, however Kuharsky bases are frequently on ebay, it might take some time to find the exact one you are looking for, but it will show up sooner or later

Yes, I am pretty active on eBay and GunBroker looking for them.

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Still looking.

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Still looking.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mooseman684

Rich

The only other block I have right now is securely mounted to my Husqvarna 9.3x62. I also had to slightly modify it so it didn't block the bolt. But... if I found another one of them, what would you charge for the machine work? Because there are a number of other old mounts out there missing the blocks and I really like these mounts on most of my old rifles.
Not knowing exactly what it would take machining wise my best guess would be around 20-25 dollars.
Tell you what , IF you can tell me the width , AND EXACT height from the top center of the lower curvature to the flat top , I will do a test machining of one since I have the hole spacing if its dual Hole mount and send it to you for trial fit .
Rich

P.S> I went thru Boxes and bins of old mounts today and I found some of those blocks , just not 1 for a Mauser , so I know the width , I have the hole spacing so I just will need to figure the curvature machining , and I still need Height measurement.

Last edited by Mooseman684; 04/02/24.

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Mooseman is kindly working on a replacement part for me, but his job would be easier if we had one for him to use as a model, so I will go ahead and bump this up to the top.

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Up to the top.

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
To the top of the world!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 29 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,345
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.