Print Thread
Hop To
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Does anyone eat pigeon?? I have a son in law , born in Lebanon , and loves pigeon . I hear it's really good.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have gone out in the hills and stopped at all the creek bridges and knocked the squabs out of the nests with a cane pole. They are good. I have heard the adult pigeons are a little tough.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Pigeons and doves are closely related and I don't see any difference between them other than size. I've eaten pigeons many times in the past and still do when one crosses my path when I have a gun in hand. I fix them as I would doves, teal, woodcock, or any other smallish bird.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Who has eaten Groundhogs? Wasn't all that rare at my Grandparents to have roasted Groundhog with gravy, potatoes and carrots. I think it would beat Pigeon easily.

Last edited by battue; 03/27/24.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
pigeons are great... just like doves.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
👍🏻👍🏻

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've eaten pigeons. They taste just like doves to me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue
Who has eaten Groundhogs? Wasn't all that rare at my Grandparents to have roasted Groundhog with gravy, potatoes and carrots. I think it would beat Pigeon easily.
I've eaten many woodchucks. The young of the year are pretty good. Do you still have many woodchucks in your area ?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by battue

I've eaten woodchucks, they are similar to jackrabbits in that the younger ones are more palatable than the older ones. Get them out of a primarily clover/alfalfa/Timothy field they can be very tasty. I've eaten possum, raccoon, porcupine, and a few other "delicacies too.

Grinners are good but they are so ugly I don't like dealing with them. I used them for stews. Raccoon needs to be done on a rack with a good grease trap to catch the fat. They aren't the best to toss on a grill. Parboil until the meat pulls from the bone then use as stew meat is my preferred usage. If one likes quinine flavored chewing gum then they will probably like quill pigs. Beaver tail is like eating fatty bacon. Cook on a grill then cut and peel the one side off. The meat isn't bad either though, once again, younger animals tend to be more tender than older. Careful removing the castor glands, they will ruin the meat if spilled on the carcass plus they are worth a fair bit of money. The glands can be worth more than the pelt.

As for the original subject - if one likes doves they will like pigeons; the only difference is size.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
To clarify, by pigeon I am referring to a bird old enough to fly. Squab is a young pigeon about a month old. They are good too but I have only had it in restaurants as an appetizer.

I am definitely not talking of balut!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Eeesh. I prefer mourning and whitewing doves.

Rock pigeons and Eurasians don’t do it for me. I usually let them fly, although the latter sometimes fall when somebody I am with wants them.

Bandtails are no good either to my palate. Haven’t hunted them in years for that reason.

Some of you guys have the palate of a troglodyte.

whistle

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Some say the same regarding waterfowl, venison, bear, pronghorn, and a host of other wild game including coots. It really boils down to preparation in the field and in the kitchen. Especially the latter as some game has a much narrower usage than others. Probably why so much of the odd meats are used in stews as the meat is mostly a filler rather than center piece. The slow cooking and gravy is a great help breaking down toughness and releasing flavor.

I have realized this for years, I thank Eilene Clarke for explaining why in her cookbooks. They have also given me more options than stews. I heartily recommend them.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Nothing left but some feathers after a 20gr v-max hits them at Mach 4.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It’s been many years, but the only pigeon I’ve eaten was as a kid I would rob the squabs out of the nest right before they could fly. Grandma would prepare them as creamed over biscuits. Very good as I remember.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Eurasians, mourning doves, and band-tailed pigeons taste similar to me. I've never eaten a rock dove

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,566
Posts18,473,245
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.