Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Regrettably, they were unarmed. Could have easily had a pistol. Concealed carry is for that purpose.
OPEN carry is for that purpose. Concealed carry is for when you don't want to draw attention to yourself when amongst people, not animals.

Article clearly states they went unarmed so as to not draw attention from the game wardens.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 03/27/24.

Sam......

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
t
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Regrettably, they were unarmed. Could have easily had a pistol. Concealed carry is for that purpose.
OPEN carry is for that purpose. Concealed carry is for when you don't want to draw attention to yourself when amongst people, not animals.

Article clearly states they went unarmed so as to not draw attention from the game wardens.

Yeah I kept waiting to read about the armed part.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well I apologize for my earlier insensitive remarks. They were both young, probably no experience in fighting for their lives. Seems odd not to carry a gun during an open season, we don't know if they were wearing orange.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
They weren't hunting anything and were not aware of the advisability of being armed with something. A pistol, a belt knife, or even a shillelagh. This and an attitude of preparedness. Stuff can happen. GD

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thought that as well. Article said they weren’t armed because they did not want to draw attention of F&W? That is completely nonsensical. I do not go into the woods unarmed. Period.

The way life should be.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
How big was the lion? Those guys take down full grown elk. The older brother was probably dead within seconds from the throat bite. Have any of you quarterbacks ever wrestled a 350lb calf? I have and have gotten my butt kicked. A lion will kill that calf with one swipe and bite. Poor decisions were made that day for not bringing some sort of weapon but popping eyeballs out....come on.

The male mountain lion weighed approximately 90 pounds and appeared to be in healthy condition.

https://wildlife.ca.gov/News/Archiv...ion-attack-in-el-dorado-county#gsc.tab=0

But, you know those F&W departments...........they lie all the time.
I guarantee you a 90 cat can kick your ass, you'd have to be extremely lucky to beat one off much less kill it. In my late teens, I worked for a guy with two female lions and one three-legged male. He would sell the cubs, he said the cougar in the mercury/ford commercial was one he sold. Anyway, I wrestled and played around with those cubs till they were old enough to sell. A 30 lb cat's strength is really surprising.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
stx….you ever had a house cat go postal on you? I had a female in heat get out of the house in a rainstorm and made the mistake of dragging her crazy self out from under a shrub barehanded. I was bloody from fingers to elbow in seconds. Those 30# kittens were just playing with you. Pretty sure a serious bobcatish sized 30 pounder could kill many here if dedicated to that end. So much for those making left handed remarks about the 18 year old with holes in his face, neck and abdomen for not being able to save his brother from a 90 pounder.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
He abandoned his brother, who was in a life and death fight with the lion, so that he could call 911.
Didn't carry a Buck knife into the woods, but he had his cell phone.

Just don't understand why they had no gun.....very tough deal none the less

I hike very often in local deer/elk winter range with my wife

Carry a Hellcat with 16 rd mag always

Have learned to always be aware and watch your back

Lions are quick & built to kill

Here's an incident in northern Utah 3 yrs ago on video

Don't remember if he had a weapon

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bluefish
Thought that as well. Article said they weren’t armed because they did not want to draw attention of F&W? That is completely nonsensical. I do not go into the woods unarmed. Period.
It makes sense to some, as if you are obviously not a "Junior" turkey hunter, and are out in the woods with a firearm showing, F&W Wardens will come check you out to find out what you're doing out there. Too many of our wardens have a guilty until proven innocent attitude when it comes to stuff like that.

As I mentioned, there's an easy work around in our State. Have a license and tell them you're hunting jackrabbits and coyotes. Year round.

Believe me, it's not just here. Go near a salmon or steelhead river, especially in a vehicle with out of state plates, and expect to be questioned about what you were fishing for.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
How big was the lion? Those guys take down full grown elk. The older brother was probably dead within seconds from the throat bite. Have any of you quarterbacks ever wrestled a 350lb calf? I have and have gotten my butt kicked. A lion will kill that calf with one swipe and bite. Poor decisions were made that day for not bringing some sort of weapon but popping eyeballs out....come on.

The male mountain lion weighed approximately 90 pounds and appeared to be in healthy condition.

https://wildlife.ca.gov/News/Archiv...ion-attack-in-el-dorado-county#gsc.tab=0

But, you know those F&W departments...........they lie all the time.
I guarantee you a 90 cat can kick your ass, you'd have to be extremely lucky to beat one off much less kill it. In my late teens, I worked for a guy with two female lions and one three-legged male. He would sell the cubs, he said the cougar in the mercury/ford commercial was one he sold. Anyway, I wrestled and played around with those cubs till they were old enough to sell. A 30 lb cat's strength is really surprising.
I know one thing for sure Roger.

I'm not willingly fighting a 90 lb cat of any species!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No mountain lions around here, but I carry a handgun at all times. If I lived in a place where there was a threat fron a wild animal attack, I would not sit foot outside unless I was armed. This is a tragic case, and I feel for that family, but it could have been prevented with a little common sense.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr
No mountain lions around here, but I carry a handgun at all times. If I lived in a place where there was a threat fron a wild animal attack, I would not sit foot outside unless I was armed. This is a tragic case, and I feel for that family, but it could have been prevented with a little common sense.

Actually know a local guy (retired LEO now)

Shed hunting with wife/kids

Saw a lion following them through the brush

Ended up killing the cat...had to answer to the DWR then

Ended ok...now lions have much less protection than yrs ago

Now anyone with a small game tag can drop a cat...

Before it was a draw system like the rest of Utah tags

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by JamesJr
No mountain lions around here, but I carry a handgun at all times. If I lived in a place where there was a threat of a wild animal attack, I would not sit foot outside unless I was armed. This is a tragic case, and I feel for that family, but it could have been prevented with a little common sense.

Actually know a local guy (retired LEO now)

Shed hunting with wife/kids

Saw a lion following them through the brush

Ended up killing the cat...had to answer to the DWR then

Ended ok...now lions have much less protection than yrs ago

Now anyone with a small game tag can drop a cat...

Before it was a draw system like the rest of Utah tags
No tags limits or seasons on them, and can kill them year-round and are considered a varmint/ predator.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Mountain Lion attacks are extremely rare. Of all the possible dangers in the woods, it is way down there. I've never thought, "I better be prepared for a mountain lion attack." And yes, I do live in an area with a healthy mountain lion population and I have personally been within 15 feet of one in the woods (unarmed).

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A while back (as in decades) the Colorado Parks and Wildlife folks tagged a female lion to see what she was eating. She was a relatively small cat, well under 100#, and they found that she specialized in preying on bull elk. They had no idea how she stalked or killed them but she seemed to enjoy eating them. I wouldn't want to take that cat on with bare knuckles. Before we got horses to hunt elk, we always had to backpack the meat out and I always had my Model 60 tucked way. Talked to the wardens a few times and never had any troubles and never got searched for concealed weapons. The kids should have had a weapon of some sort. A cheap .22 revolver is going to be a lot more effective than trying scare the cat off with a backpack or trying to go at him with your hands. Sad situation.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RHOD
Mountain Lion attacks are extremely rare. Of all the possible dangers in the woods, it is way down there. I've never thought, "I better be prepared for a mountain lion attack." And yes, I do live in an area with a healthy mountain lion population and I have personally been within 15 feet of one in the woods (unarmed).
We should give you a trophy or a cookie for your bravery

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Pics

local winter range

Deer & Elk a plenty

Cats are smart......stay above the draws/washes & have the advantage

Jump down high from above

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have been in touch with a family member, Wyatt is at UC Davis medical center, his face was pretty much crushed by the lions bite. Probably hard for him to even see very well to get help, and being in shock also . Im not sure why they were not armed, but I can state that the Ca,. Game wardens are a bunch of gestapo jerks. Have many personal stories of my own I could share . They are not there to help, but intimidate and harass people. Same goes for the enforcement end of USFS.!
This could be the reason they were not armed. Ive also been told the gun laws in Ca . have become more restricted since I left 4 yrs ago .
Anyway, hoping for a successful and speedy recovery for Wyatt , and may Talen RIP.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by kenster99
I have been in touch with a family member, Wyatt is at UC Davis medical center, his face was pretty much crushed by the lions bite. Probably hard for him to even see very well to get help, and being in shock also . Im not sure why they were not armed, but I can state that the Ca,. Game wardens are a bunch of gestapo jerks. Have many personal stories of my own I could share . They are not there to help, but intimidate and harass people. Same goes for the enforcement end of USFS.!
This could be the reason they were not armed. Ive also been told the gun laws in Ca . have become more restricted since I left 4 yrs ago .
Anyway, hoping for a successful and speedy recovery for Wyatt , and may Talen RIP.

Thx for your post

Tough deal for all involved

Go Fund me set up ????

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenster99
Sorry to hear about the young fellow's injuries.

I'll just add that it's not just in this State, most States I've lived in the wardens can be real pains in the ass. Those kids probably knew the local one(s) and decided it would be best to just not have a run in with them.

The gun laws do suck, but there are work arounds if you're walking around out in the woods. Just make sure you're loaded with the CA Approved ammo.

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (1minute, 673, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 6MMWASP, 25 invisible), 1,911 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,087
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.