Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I used a guide with a guy that had a custom set made by a maker in eastern AZ who’s name I can’t remember. One was a skinning knife and the other was a gutting knife. The gutting knife was backwards so to speak. The cutting edge of the blade was on top and the spine was on the bottom with the handle in a regular position. The end of the blade had an unsharpened round “point” He could slit an elk lickety split and never worry about punching a gut. Interesting purpose driven design.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mornin, I put this on the other Puma thread but no response. Once saw a Puma fixed blade & in the handle it had a gutting blade that opened like a jack knife. Can't understand why someone hasn't tried this before??? If it was done right I don't think it would weaken the handle. No more than a hidden tang knife. Ya would take some special machining but with cnc would just be another line in the cnc program. Now I've only seen the one Puma like this & lm on knife sites a lot. PS that swing blade is a heck of an idea too. Even the double blade folder would work but again ,maybe to weak for other tasks. What ya think. GWPGUY. 🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"What you think?" I think it's a lot of talk and fuss over nothing. I don't understand the need for a special blade for gutting.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good gutting knife is a good skinning knife is a good butchering knife is a good steak knife.

Never saw the need for more than one well balanced razor sharp blade.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What's 'need' have to do with it?

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like a sharp point to one for everything. Like to poke into the hide first, the just turn It over and don't pop the stomach. Like at least 5 or 6 inches of blade to free the lungs, heart, and windpipe, then pull all out in one clump. I've gutted a heck of alot of deer sized stuff with an old sharpfinger that is carbon steel.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
So many experts on here, who new??? Thanks for your time. GWPGUY. 🐾👣🇨🇦

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Huntsman2, ya I've bought chit I just had to & never did use it. Including many, many knives!!! Use some of it for awhile then give it to kids. Used to put 22 rimfire boxes in mail boxes were kids lived on our road. Just the ones I new the parents & got permission. Eventually they clued in, always said from Santa. GWPGUY 🐾👣🇨🇦

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My dedicated gutting knife is a Buck 102 fixed blade knife. It has special meaning for me as it was owned by my hunting and fishing mentor, a WWII veteran Marine pilot. It originally had its 4" blade, but his wife broke off the blade tip on frozen hamburgers. He took it to work (US Rubber Company) and had the shop reshape the blade. He then sharpened it at home. The blade is now 3" long and about perfect for field dressing a deer. He had small hands, and mine are extra large, but it works for me. My other gutting knife is also a Buck, the 112 folding knife, also with a 3" blade. I bought the 112 in 1973 and have had the 102 since 1985, when my friend died.

I have all his knives, mostly old Ka-Bars. Another with special meaning is his sandwich knife. It's a Camillus fishing knife which came out of one of the airplanes he flew in the South Pacific. Every survival kit in the plane's life raft had such a knife. It is wicked sharp. We used it to cut Hungarian bacon and onion for our sandwiches. Memories.....

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Buck 116. Probably my favorite pure gutting knife although ringing the bung hole isn't the easiest.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,553
Posts18,473,018
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.