Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Little spin on things, what's the most difficult plains game you've hunted?

I'm pretty much a spot/stalk only, but have sat in some make shift blinds while in SA. 2x to the Limpopo area, both of which differed quite a bit from one place to the next and once to the Eastern Cape. Much more challenging hunt(s) for the most part in the Eastern Cape for those who haven't been.

1st time over there, took some effort to get a decent opportunity at a Gemsbuck. 2nd time put on a few miles chasing after Zebra's and attempted hunting duiker or steenbok, but didn't have any luck. Took a really nice steenbuck this last time and would still like a nice duiker.

Going back in '25 for a cow cape buffalo, but looking for other animals that on average are more difficult to hunt vs others. Going back to the 1st place I ever hunted over there and it's for the most part pretty flat and very thick.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hello neighbor.

If a one-trick pony can relate — I’ve been once, to Namibia — of the PG I hunted, the zebra were very skittish but the eland were the most difficult. Over ten days, I failed to get in on a good bull. And it was my priority.

Ironically, one night our rondavel was surrounded by a big herd. There may have been several big bulls just feet from our little window.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Vaal Rhebok is the hardest plains game to get in RSA. They are restricted in their range, they have very good eyesight and hearing, they move very fast and they live in rough and rocky terrain.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This one was about 7 inches in horn length. He busted one off rolling down a hill but we found the piece and the taxidermist repaired it. They only weigh about 40 lbs and this one required a shot of nearly 300 yards in a strong wind. He is the only life size mount I have.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I'd vote for Vaal Rhebok, even though I have not hunted for them. They do have a reputation.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The lowly baboon eluded me on my Namibia trip.

IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My vote, day 13, last evening 30 minutes before sunset.

Arcus Venator
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Rock63
The lowly baboon eluded me on my Namibia trip.

Sheesh me too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would like to shoot a nice Lesser Kudu but have been told that they are harder to find than honest politicians.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll have to check out the Rhebok.

My 2nd trip I archery hunted quite a bit and had some Baboon's within spitting distance, little bit spooky. 3rd trip my friend really really wanted one, but never had a chance while I seemed to be seeing them left and right.

No different that deer hunting in the states, when you're after something it's elusive and when you don't have a tag or have a gun in your hand they sit and stare at you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
Vaal Rhebok is the hardest plains game to get in RSA. They are restricted in their range, they have very good eyesight and hearing, they move very fast and they live in rough and rocky terrain.

This one was about 7 inches in horn length. He busted one off rolling down a hill but we found the piece and the taxidermist repaired it. They only weigh about 40 lbs and this one required a shot of nearly 300 yards in a strong wind. He is the only life size mount I have.

I’ll second this opinion. They live on steep rocky terrain. Just as difficult as sheep hunting with a very small target. Challenging is an understatement.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRS
My vote, day 13, last evening 30 minutes before sunset.

Nice roan!!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
Little spin on things, what's the most difficult plains game you've hunted?

...<snip>...

'
Limpopo Bushbuck taken along the banks of the Limpopo River in South Africa back in 2002.

Little ol' me.

Nile Croc on the sandbar. The opposite bank is Botswana.

Thick stuff!

Posed later back at camp for a nicer photo.

Rifle: Ruger M77 Mk II in .30-06
Handload: 220 gr Woodleigh Weldcore round nose at 2460 fps (10 shot chrono average)

Cheers! smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
For me, it took three days to get a shot the particular Zebra Stallion we spotted. Hard work to get close enough for a shot. Close second is definitely the Bushbuck in my case.

Attached Images
Pascals Zebra.jpg (49.05 KB, 346 downloads)
Last edited by FSJeeper; 03/27/24.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Hatari!

Arcus Venator
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I would like to shoot a nice Lesser Kudu but have been told that they are harder to find than honest politicians.

Especially since they are not found in South Africa.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have only been once, and the only critter we chased more than once was a big mature Kudu. I ended up with a great specimen, but it is the only animal we had to "hunt". We went to several ranches before we found one and killed it. It was a hunt, not a shoot for that guy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The hardest animal for me to hunt was the Selous Unicorn. In fact, I've only seen one in the wild. I shot mine with a 739 Rigby Magnum with open sights at a measured 3946 yards. It was running flat out when I hit it. DRT with one shot. It was a special handloaded 24K gold bullet out of an unobtainium cartridge case that chronographed 24fps on my new Garmin Xero.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It took me 4 trips to Africa before I shot my first Warthog, mainly out of desperation as he wasn't as big as others that I had seen. I asked my taxidermist to just lightly glue his tusks in so if I ever shoot a bigger one, I can just swap the tusks.

I shot my Vaal Rhebok the first afternoon that I got to the property that we were going to hunt them on. The landowner couldn't go with us that afternoon so he sent one of his helpers with us. The animals that we saw were very skittish and I had to belly crawl into position for a prone 200 yd shot with my .375 RUM. When the landowner saw my buck, he said that he could have found my a bigger one if we had waited until the next day.

I've always wanted to get a porqupine but have only seen one and couldn't get a shot.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Having been over a few times, Vaal Rhebuck can be a tough one to get. Most say it's the most difficult in the Southern African countries. Between habitat, spooky attitude and rarity they are hard to get.
If you want for all of Africa my PH in the Congo claims a yellow backed duiker may be the most difficult. Along with forest Sitatunga and bongo they make for a tough hunt.
Bruce

Last edited by Gillettehunter; 03/28/24. Reason: bad spelling
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think that it all depends on how much they have been hunted.

I have been quite a few times and think baboon are pretty clever but not sure you could call them plains game.

Zebra are usually pretty switched on in most instances. Big kudu bulls are like big mule deer bucks, pretty dam smart.

I have never witnessed a sharp sable or nyala but I am sure others have.

Just betting how smart a critter is directionally proportional to how hard they are hunted, although I have never seen a dumb baboon other than on a highway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,825
Posts18,477,900
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.