Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Originally Posted by Hastings
1000 acres for $16,000,000 and produces $800,000 worth of corn sounds pretty good. 5% return to pay the interest.

Please expand your logic and where you find those figures
Iowa land according to hlg posting above goes for $16,000 an acre. Year in and year out about a 200 bushel average is to be expected. 200 bushels at $4 is $800 which is about average more or less a little. $800 on 1000 acres will gross $800,000. If you paid $16,000 per acre just add 3 zeros to that to get your price on 1000 acres. 16,000 x .05 = 800

Your off on your calculator
Average yield on the $16000 land is well north of 240 by if your any type of good farmer
The guy I help 5 yr average is 235
$4 corn,,, you will go broke
Cash corn right now for fall delivery is $4.50 had opportunities last dec/jan to sell fall corn for close to $5
Your also forgetting that these progressive farmers ( which anyone can do ) buy puts/calls to make money as well
The best farmers I know( my job is also in ag) spend more time behind the computer screen than in a tractor
You can get 240 bushels to the acre if you spend a pile of money on fertilizer and new equipment to have 22" rows. But, without the fertilizer and the rain plan on 180 or 200 bushels.

The folks spending $16,00 or more per acre are not always farmers. They are new York speculators, lawyers and doctors looking to get a tax break. They also want $350 an acre rent on improved ground, per season. Improved ground means tile and erosion berms. No little farmer can do that.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
P.S Seed corn is over $100 per acre. Illinois set $4.68 per bushel as average cost to produce a bushel of corn in 2022.
My spreadsheet too big to attach but will email to anyone
This is what I figured on a new piece of ground
Fert $250 an acre
Chemical/fungicide $102 an acre
Seed $125 an acre
Equipment $135 An acre
Crop ins estimate is $40 an acre
Rent $275
Gross revenue $1176 (would have sold it for October delivery at $4.90)
Inputs and costs $944
Average per bushel cost $3.93
Left profit of $232 an acre
So back to my 500 acre grower
Gross revenue $588000
Costs owned ground 234150
Cost rented ground 151,480
Net income on 500 acres of corn =
$202370
I know there a few other costs associated but you can catch the drift
I can get zero percent interest on inputs from my retailer so cash rent and fuel is the only cost associated with operating loan of 7%

I was a crop agronomist salesman for 25 years before I took this role of a manufacture rep so still have a huge background in helping farmers attain profit

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
A
Alan_C Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by BFaucett
Originally Posted by Alan_C
The program just ended and it was called Greener Pastures. It took 4 years to film and appears to be about 4 years old. It was a film worth watching.

Is this the program?

GREENER PASTURES / Official Film Festival Trailer
video posted to YouTube on Jun 12, 2023

"Official film festival trailer for the documentary feature film, Greener Pastures. Screening worldwide in film festivals through 2023-2024.

Greener Pastures is an urgent and intimate look at American farming, told through the stories of farmers living at the intersection of climate change, globalization & a mental health crisis."

YouTube channel: Greener Pastures
That’s it! Thank you!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I watched a few local family farms do well. The ones that were most successful, just like any other business operated on a cash basis.

They did not have a banker with his fist in the John Deere dealers pocket, telling them they would not get an operating loan unless they also bought a tractor twice as big as they needed with all the comforts of the Taj Mahal.

But most fiscally wise young farmers live like paupers for the first twenty years while paying off the land, and livestock, if it is that type of operation. And today, most of those young people coming from parents wise enough to operate a successful family farm have a college degree.

As they watch their College class mates go into careers which will be paying 10 times what they will see from the farm, it is very tempting to abandon the farm life for a bigger payday.

One has to love the life, because it just does not pencil out any other way.

The one thing going for it, when you are ready to retire, you are sitting on a fortune in real estate, livestock, and equipment. That is, if you are wise enough to have kept it out of the bank's name.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BFaucett
The program just ended and it was called Greener Pastures. It took 4 years to film and appears to be about 4 years old. It was a film worth watching.

Is this the program?

...<snip>...

That’s it! Thank you!

You're welcome. [Linked Image from cloudynights.com]

Cheers! smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P.S Seed corn is over $100 per acre. Illinois set $4.68 per bushel as average cost to produce a bushel of corn in 2022.
Fert $250 an acre
Seed $125 an acre
Equipment $135 An acre
Rent $275
Inputs and costs $944
Gross revenue $588000
$202370
I can get zero percent interest on inputs from my retailer so cash rent and fuel is the only cost associated with operating loan of 7%

I was a crop agronomist salesman for 25 years before I took this role of a manufacture rep so still have a huge background in helping farmers attain profit
Fert $250 an acre
Seed $125 an acre
Equipment $135 An acre
Rent $275
Inputs and costs $944
Gross revenue $588000
$202370

I'm sure you are correct if everything falls into place. But $4 corn and 200 bushels happens. And my limited experience tells me there is never zero interest.

Just curious, what do you or your company sell.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Fert $250 an acre
Seed $125 an acre
Equipment $135 An acre
Rent $275
Inputs and costs $944
Gross revenue $588000
$202370

Fert $250 an acre
Seed $125 an acre
Equipment $135 An acre
Rent $275
Inputs and costs $944
Gross revenue $588000
$202370

I'm sure you are correct if everything falls into place. But $4 corn and 200 bushels happens. And my limited experience tells me there is never zero interest.

Just curious, what do you or your company sell.
And that is why you carry crop Insuance and forward sell/buy puts calls.
Last year was no brainer you made money with crop insurance
This year with spring price will be tough
But that is why you focus on your game and production history
Forward selling then protecting with puts/calls
I mainly do HTA contracts which is setting price today and picking your basis(grain freight) later but before you deliver. Say I sell October. Corn for $5 my basis could be anywhere from -.30 to + .10
I would be disappointed is all I grew was 200 bu corn, I’m fertilizing for 300 and doing some other nutritionals etc to try and push on some acres. My local county average is 194 and we have some pretty crappy ground in places and flat black in others( I’m in the flat black zone) almost too flat stays wet.
Zero interest everyday here with one coop . It’s an inhouse financing and if you buy everything from them they offer zero due December of the year.

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
I worked for a retail coop for 25 years now I work for Syngenta selling corn and soybean herbicides and fungicides

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Input salesmen don't come to your farm to make you money.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Ya reckon? Zero interest always means it's charged on the front end. Or maybe there's a trap built in where if you stumble it hits you like a ton of bricks.

The only credit card I use is for fuel, an Exxon card because I get 10 to 20 cents a gallon off. They just sent me 3 or 4 pages of legal size paper with small print outlining the new terms. I am good to go if I pay on time in full like I have done, but Boy Howdy the costs if you slip up or take a cash advance. In addition to any penalties the interest is 34% going back to day one.

One of my good friends is in the air conditioning business. It is interest free for one year if he installs your HVAC. I hemmed him up on it and he admitted it (interest) was on the front end. And if you don't pay in one year you have problems.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My wifes 3 uncles farmed a bunch of ground together and rented all of it North Arkansas delta. They worked hard at it. They understood the business aspects of when to book and how much. They were smart about buying their inputs for the year. They were all millionaire sharecroppers.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Ya reckon? Zero interest always means it's charged on the front end. Or maybe there's a trap built in where if you stumble it hits you like a ton of bricks.

The only credit card I use is for fuel, an Exxon card because I get 10 to 20 cents a gallon off. They just sent me 3 or 4 pages of legal size paper with small print outlining the new terms. I am good to go if I pay on time in full like I have done, but Boy Howdy the costs if you slip up or take a cash advance. In addition to any penalties the interest is 34% going back to day one.

One of my good friends is in the air conditioning business. It is interest free for one year if he installs your HVAC. I hemmed him up on it and he admitted it (interest) was on the front end. And if you don't pay in one year you have problems.

It's a perverse race to see who can squeeze the producer the hardest.

And to top it off....the tax payers get to make up the difference if there is no money left over.

Banker needs his too you know.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
My wifes 3 uncles farmed a bunch of ground together and rented all of it North Arkansas delta. They worked hard at it. They understood the business aspects of when to book and how much. They were smart about buying their inputs for the year. They were all millionaire sharecroppers.

That's cool.

I didn't realize there was an Arkansas Delta.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Learned a lot. Thanks guys. Tell you this tho - tree farming sucks. Plant and wait 8-12 YEARS for the crop with a lot of the same disease/weather concerns commodity farmers have in between.

Me

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Back in 1966 I read an article in a farm magazine. Short story, Farm, farming 6000 acres made $6000

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
In my area, northeast Missouri, the family owned farms here are usually running about 3000 acres. Some of that is rented ground. I have no way of knowing their finances or care to but they all are driving the newest and best pickups and farm equipment, live in the nicer homes around here and take plenty of vacations every year. If they're hard up it isn't showing by the way they live.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The bank has more money for them if they run short.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Teal
Learned a lot. Thanks guys. Tell you this tho - tree farming sucks. Plant and wait 8-12 YEARS for the crop with a lot of the same disease/weather concerns commodity farmers have in between.

During the CRP heyday trees were better.

Put your land in CRP...plant timber....receive money every year for crp contract and then sell timber when contract expires.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim1611
In my area, northeast Missouri, the family owned farms here are usually running about 3000 acres. Some of that is rented ground. I have no way of knowing their finances or care to but they all are driving the newest and best pickups and farm equipment, live in the nicer homes around here and take plenty of vacations every year. If they're hard up it isn't showing by the way they live.

Sounds kinda like you care a little bit.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It is the entre Midwest

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,714
Posts18,475,547
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.