Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thinking about using some Christmas gift cards on a compact set of binos to be dedicated to the turkey vest. Something small and light weight. For those that keep a set in theirs, what size do you prefer? Does a little 25mm objective give up much to a 28 or 30?

Last edited by redleg733; 01/06/24.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use 8x30s and find them ideal. I could see smaller being nice too, especially fitting in a bag or vest easier.

Yes, I use mine at first and last light for flydowns and roosting but I don’t consider the low light gathering need for turkey as much as deer, for what it’s worth if you have your mind set on compacts.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I carry 8x32's for all my hunting. I carry them in a chest rig, always at the ready and not in the way. Seems I'm always looking at something. I feel binos are an asset to any hunt. Enjoy!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suggest that you twice before buying compact binoculars for hunting.

Compact binoculars with objective lenses that are closer together than the ocular lenses actually reduce your depth perception. And they general have smaller exit-pupils making them "darker" which isn't really desirable when hunting, especially in early morning or evening. They are good for compactness, primarily. I'm not saying don't buy a set. Just that you will be sacrificing advantages to get to a small package.

Roof-prism and porro-prism are the way to go. Porro-prism will generally give better depth percetion than roof-prisms, because the objective lenses are farther apart. Porros are general brighter than roofs, all other things being equal, becasue there are fewer refractions in porros than in roofs. But porros will be a bit wider than roof, but can be a bit shorter.

In my opinion, keeping the exit pupil a 5 and above is desirable. That will help produce a nice bright picture. Anything above 7 is probably not helpful since the human pupil can't really dilate bigger than 7mm.

8x40s, 7x35s, 6x30s are all give you a 5mm exit pupil. (Going above 5 is going to require a larger objective and will make for a bulkier binoccular.)

I have been hunting with Steiner Military/Marine 6x30s for many year. I think I bought them in the late 80's or very early 90s. 6X is fine, especially in thick woods. They have a very wide field of vision. They are super light, and super quite, rain proof, and are very clear. I'm not sure Steiner still makes them in the Military/Marine line, but I think I've seen them in the Predator line.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In the alternative, I would recommend Kowa 6x30s. I've handled these and the glass is fanatasic, they are light, same big FOV, and water proof. And they are available at a very good price point. In fact, I think Kowa could sell them for more than they do.

https://www.kowaoptic.com/kowa-yf-ii-6x30-porro-prism-binocular

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/07/24.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I use the Kowa 6x30’s and have zero complaints.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I carry 8x32's for all my hunting. I carry them in a chest rig, always at the ready and not in the way. Seems I'm always looking at something. I feel binos are an asset to any hunt. Enjoy!

Same, except I carry 10x42 Nikons.

Never, ever have I found them cumbersome or in the way.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’ve went from Swaro 10x32 EL’s, to Swaro 10x30 CL’s, to Kowa Genesis 8x30, back to Swaro 10x30 CL’s and currently have Zeiss Victory 8x25. These little things have completely displaced the need for a 32mm class bino. Two guys over on Rokslide put me on them..now my thoughts mirror theirs….

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Love my Leica 8x42 rangefinders in their Marsupial Gear harness with call pockets attached. Works under a vest for short hauls or under my Eberslystock backpack for long hauls with big panel blinds and chairs. A range finding bino is a true game changer for turkey and big game hunting. Check out the Vortex Furry. Cheap, but decent glass and will range out to 5,000 yards. Two hunting pards have it and I've seen it range that far in the NM desert.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Name dropper... lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep, he asked for suggestions!

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Appreciate the input. I have a set of the SIG range finding binos that I usually carry in a chest rig for big game hunting. They are 10x42 (I think, without going to look at them), and while I really like them, they are just big a bulky for toting around hunting Midwest turkeys (eastern half of Nebraska). I was leaning more towards something 30mm or smaller for these. Small and light weight to fit in a vest pocket.

Couple great suggestions above. I appreciate all the thoughts and input. Feel free to keep them coming.

Adam

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a set of Steiner Predator AF 8x30mm

I love them in the woods. I have tried smaller binocs but wasn't happy with them. The fold down eyecups and Auto Focus work great with my eyeglasses.

https://www.steiner-optics.com/binoculars/predator-af-8x30

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
I use the Kowa 6x30’s and have zero complaints.

Same here.

WWP53D
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yoder, I have a pair of Zeiss just about like that. I used them sometimes (if I don't forget and leave them in the truck) If I do, I have a Zeiss monocular I carry in my vest. I also have a small pair of Pentax 8x25's in my belt type vest for hot weather.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ready to go for gobblers in the morning.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had a hen fly down on us and stay for 20 mins. Had one gobble 1x at daylight within 200 yards but never heard him again.

We found another bird on the way back to the house but have to head towards baseball so will hopefully have a story to tell later this weekend about him.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Zeiss victory 8x32

Gobblers were on fire in the piedmont of SC this morning…youth day tomorrow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run Swaro EL 8.5x42s for everything I do here. They carry well in a Marsupial gear harness.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Small Monocular or some Pentax micros is all I carry. I just need a peak, instead of true glassing 90% of the time. I keep some decent 8x42s in the truck.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I carry a 7 X 40 Leitz binocular. They are fairly compact and light. I hunt around a lot of fields and I would rather leave my favorite call behind than forget my binoculars.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,076
Posts18,482,691
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.