Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
It's a perverse race to see who can squeeze the producer the hardest.

And to top it off....the tax payers get to make up the difference if there is no money left over.

Banker needs his too you know.
Check out the history as pioneers moved west and started farming. Bankers were right behind them convincing them to borrow and expand.

USDA programs are pushed by guess who?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal
Learned a lot. Thanks guys. Tell you this tho - tree farming sucks. Plant and wait 8-12 YEARS for the crop with a lot of the same disease/weather concerns commodity farmers have in between.

During the CRP heyday trees were better.

Put your land in CRP...plant timber....receive money every year for crp contract and then sell timber when contract expires.

We farm Christmas trees. Not me, extended fam for the past 100 years.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Learned a lot. Thanks guys. Tell you this tho - tree farming sucks. Plant and wait 8-12 YEARS for the crop with a lot of the same disease/weather concerns commodity farmers have in between.

Put your land in CRP...plant timber....receive money every year for crp contract and then sell timber when contract expires.

I grew up on an orchard. Plant, work for four years, 5 minutes of hail wipes out the first crop...... I told my dad "thanks, but no thanks".

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We're lucky that parts of this country are too rough to farm.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Any calves Sam?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Crime doesn’t pay.

Neither does farming.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A wonder why one would choose their children to continue the hit/miss of farming/ranching. I get tradition...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My great grandfather started farming in west central Ks in 1892. He was followed by my grandfather, father and brother, who continues to farm it today. Each grew the farm in size and ran it as a business. All were successful. Not every year was a success, but each of them I would say did quite well financially.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good question--but there's a certain feeling of independence, even if it may vary considerably.

My father's parents homesteaded in central Montana in 1919, though separately. My grandmother filed first, when homesteads in the West had been increased to 320 acres--and built herself a tarpaper shack. A year ot so later a Norwegian claimed the neighboring 320, and after they married a year or so later, had an entire section--which also included a year-round stream.

Both had come from the Midwest, where all the land was already owned. Unlike most homesteaders, they "proved up", owning the land five years after their claims. They also worked other jobs aside from growing grain (which their kids helped in), but eventually it worked out very well as a long-term investment.

Similar investments have also worked out very well for other Montanans.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Good question--but there's a certain feeling of independence, even if it may vary considerably.

My father's parents homesteaded in central Montana in 1919, though separately. My grandmother filed first, when homesteads in the West had been increased to 320 acres--and built herself a tarpaper shack. A year ot so later a Norwegian claimed the neighboring 320, and after they married a year or so later, had an entire section--which also included a year-round stream.

Both had come from the Midwest, where all the land was already owned. Unlike most homesteaders, they "proved up", owning the land five years after their claims. They also worked other jobs aside from growing grain (which their kids helped in), but eventually it worked out very well as a long-term investment.

Similar investments have also worked out very well for other Montanans.

Thoughts on 2024 - 2074?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bottom line is you have to love farming/ranching to stay in.

The wife's family has lived off of the income from 300 acres.

Family has owned more but lost it when family got sick,land back then cost .25 an acre.

It can make a living wage if you manage it right but you won't be driving a new PU or car every year.

The farm is currently farmed on 1/4 share and owner pays for the well pump and 1/4 of inputs like ins.,fert and weed killer and such.

The Mother in law made around 28,000 the last several years because she has a good farmer that loves farming.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

We shįt canned our fake tree and have only bought real trees for several years.

Fugg plastic.

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by IA_fog
1000 acres for $16,000,000 and produces $800,000 worth of corn sounds pretty good. 5% return to pay the interest.

Please expand your logic and where you find those figures
Iowa land according to hlg posting above goes for $16,000 an acre. Year in and year out about a 200 bushel average is to be expected. 200 bushels at $4 is $800 which is about average more or less a little. $800 on 1000 acres will gross $800,000. If you paid $16,000 per acre just add 3 zeros to that to get your price on 1000 acres. 16,000 x .05 = 800

Your off on your calculator
Average yield on the $16000 land is well north of 240 by if your any type of good farmer
The guy I help 5 yr average is 235
$4 corn,,, you will go broke
Cash corn right now for fall delivery is $4.50 had opportunities last dec/jan to sell fall corn for close to $5
Your also forgetting that these progressive farmers ( which anyone can do ) buy puts/calls to make money as well
The best farmers I know( my job is also in ag) spend more time behind the computer screen than in a tractor
You can get 240 bushels to the acre if you spend a pile of money on fertilizer and new equipment to have 22" rows. But, without the fertilizer and the rain plan on 180 or 200 bushels.

The folks spending $16,00 or more per acre are not always farmers. They are new York speculators, lawyers and doctors looking to get a tax break. They also want $350 an acre rent on improved ground, per season. Improved ground means tile and erosion berms. No little farmer can do that.

kwg

Running 30” rows down here, last year one of the driest on record whole farm average was 234
Gotta put fert on , planter is 15 years old, and no rain still made the bushels

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
[quote=Jim_Conrad]Input salesmen don't come to your farm to make you money.
Ya reckon? Zero interest always means it's charged on the front end. Or maybe there's a trap built in where if you stumble it hits you like a ton of bricks.

Zero interest no hidden fees no up front. Double check prices with competitors same or better. (I’m not that dumb either not to check and ask questions )

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I grew up on a farm, my parents still own it. They have 250 acres and milked around 50 cows. Today they live there yet and are pretty well off. They never went on any vacations raised 5 of us kids and saved all their money, only investing in bonds. You cant do what they did today but they never ever borrowed any money except from my grandpa to buy their farm. They paid $250 interest no principle every month until grandpa died.

I go back there every week and love it. They still doing their thing at 84 years old living in the house that grew dad grew up in. They are good people and always pay their bills. They never pay any bill until the last day that it is due. Its their money until then.

My dad told me when I was a kid farming is getting really tough. It used to be when he needed something like a new manure spreader there was always money in the checkbook to buy one. These days its not always the case… that was 50 years ago lol

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Hutterites around here appear to be doing quite well.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Upperplainsman
Hutterites around here appear to be doing quite well.

I know some Hoots.

Generally not as prosperous as you might think.

I used to think they were killing it.

I am MAGA.
A
Alan_C Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Good info/stories. My dad always liked farming and raising cattle. He always made some money. I think good business practices and being frugal with good work ethics are a must to be a farmer. No doubt some real farmers here !

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Good info/stories. My dad always liked farming and raising cattle. He always made some money. I think good business practices and being frugal with good work ethics are a must to be a farmer. No doubt some real farmers here !
Go fugk your arsehole Alan.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Alan_C Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Go fugk your arsehole Alan.
Why do you have so much hate in you? Don’t worry , be Happy !!! Have a Happy Easter !

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,690
Posts18,475,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.