Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
I have a custom Mauser action .22-250 I got off Gunbroker. The rifle was almost finished when I got it, but was missing some parts and the receiver was partially in the white. I replaced the missing parts and had the receiver Belgian blued and the head spacing checked.

Now I am trying to mount a scope on it and have discovered that the single rear hole is not in a standard location. I had originally planned to use a 2-piece set of Talley bases. I ordered them while the rifle was still out getting blued and I didn’t remember it only had one hole in the receiver. Upon seeing that it only had one hole, I measured it and it looked like an EGW one-piece, 3-hole picatinny rail would fit and be more secure. But, the rear receiver hole is in the wrong spot (just slightly too far back), so that mount doesn’t work.

I know I could get an undrilled rail and then try to do three holes in exactly the right spots (or have someone do it for me). But is that necessary? Can I get enough stability out of using the two-piece Talley mount with only one screw? Or is there another, better option?

Edit - thanks for the help. Between the replies below and a very helpful Leupold tech, I got everything sorted out.

Last edited by Q_Sertorius; 03/29/24.
GB1

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
This configuration will require me to shave a corner off the Talley mount, which I don't mind doing if it will work and offer enough stability for the scope. But is there a better option?

Attached Images
IMG_7272.jpg (12.54 KB, 104 downloads)
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Two piece bases = 2 holes per base. I bought a lot of Mausers that had been drilled and tapped for one piece bases. So, only one hole in the rear bridge and that hole isn't in the right spot for an off the shelf rear base. I used a lot of Leupolds because they have narrower hole spacing. Or, made or modified existing bases to work. And of course, added that second hole to the bridge.

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by z1r
Two piece bases = 2 holes per base. I bought a lot of Mausers that had been drilled and tapped for one piece bases. So, only one hole in the rear bridge and that hole isn't in the right spot for an off the shelf rear base. I used a lot of Leupolds because they have narrower hole spacing. Or, made or modified existing bases to work. And of course, added that second hole to the bridge.

Thank you for the reply. That's what I thought. I knew that this "project rifle" would be a bit of work, but I didn't realize how many complications I would encounter.

The rear hole is just a bit too far back and very awkwardly placed to put in new holes.

Attached Images
Stupid Hole Placement.png (32.22 KB, 96 downloads)
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
I measured the holes again with a caliper instead of my measuring stick. They are 4.33 center to center instead of 4.275. So close and yet so far. And that measurement is going to help me solve my problem, because that is the width for the one-piece FN Mauser base.

Edit - I solved this with the help from a tech at Leupold. Even though I had originally planned on using another brand of rings and mounts for the rifle, I feel compelled to go with them now. The tech was so patient and knowledgeable.

Last edited by Q_Sertorius; 03/29/24.
IC B2

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've used these bases in this situation: https://www.leupold.com/std-mauser-98-2-pc-matte

The holds are narrowly spaced so yo can add that second hole and still have room on the bridge for the base.

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by z1r
I've used these bases in this situation: https://www.leupold.com/std-mauser-98-2-pc-matte

The holds are narrowly spaced so yo can add that second hole and still have room on the bridge for the base.

Thanks for the second reply! That looks like a good option if the one-piece Leupold mount I just ordered doesn't do the trick!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 1936M71, 72 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,684
Posts18,493,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.