OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
May as well throw a link to this subforum up, too.

I've learned a lot more about my Savages here than anywhere else. The Savage Collectors section was the reason I ended up joining this place. There is a whole lot of knowledge floating around here. 📚

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shirttail cousin......?

The Rifleman

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Koch boys have had some delays with part of our website when we test published, missed our January roll-out. Hope to have completely resolved soon.

This the rebirth of my old website "SAVAGE AUTOMATIC POCKET PISTOLS: A Unique American Legacy - A Forgotten American Handgun" that I operated from 1996 - 2009. I had to close it suddenly when my webhost discontinued hosting with 2 weeks notice while I was working on the road. I saved some, but have built the second version from scratch. New host's format/platform not as flexible as I'd like, but is workable.

Meantime, if you bookmark this it will have you ready when we publish final.

Savage Pistols

"Too often people do not recognize Opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like Work." Thomas Alva Edison
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Savage and Stevens, Arms and History. West
The Rifle in America. Sharpe
Great Hunting Rifles. Wieland

Overshadowed by the tomes listed by the OP but a good source nonetheless.

Wieland in particular offers a fairly thought out appraisal of the Savage lever gun from a practical/users point of view.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/28/24.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bailey Brower's book, and his article "The Birth of the .45 and the Savage Automatic Pistol"

Last edited by KeithNyst; 03/28/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have all the ones mentioned except the 'Great Hunting Rifles' by Wieland and I also have the books by Murry and Kimmel, and the pistol books by Stern & Carr, and the Stevens book by Strong .

I also have a very extensive collection of Savage & Stevens catalogs, which I refer to constantly. I find I now very seldom open any of the books, and if I do it is usually Rory's, David's or Brower's - the older references usually are just collecting dust, but I still would not want to be without any of them, they all have some good information if you are looking at more than just the 1895/1899/99's, if your focus is there, them some of them will be of little to no use. For me, with my focus on the Savage 22's, the references most of you find the most useful were of little use to me until recently when I started buying an occasional 1895 or 1899.

For sights 'Old Gun Sights' by Stroebel has a very good sections on Savage and on the major aftermarket suppliers like Lyman and Marble's. He also wrote a book about old scopes which I find useful. There is a newer book out on sights by Tom Rowe, it's a large book and covers a lot of very rare sights, but the section on Savage is not very good, it's just a couple pages and even has a Remington sight included as Savage.

One I have that I would warn against getting is 'Savage Arms History' by Joe Vorisek, my copy is full of notes correcting a lot of really bad errors. Cornell Publishing used to sell it, but I don't see it listed now, but they do have several other book by the same author, which based on the Savage book, I would not even consider buying.

Gene
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GeneB
There is a newer book out on sights by Tom Rowe, it's a large book and covers a lot of very rare sights, but the section on Savage is not very good, it's just a couple pages and even has a Remington sight included as Savage.

Tom Rowe's latest two volume set of books on the history of Stevens target rifles up to 1915 is excellent. Good hard coverage of the 44's and 44 1/2's. (And as an aside his & Greatbach's story of H.M.Pope's years at Hartford and Stevens, five volumes total, offer an intriguing peek at the state of precision arms making back at the turn of the century. Quite spendy books though. They're working on Pope's Jersey City years now, 1906-1940. I know Tom - I shoot with him a couple times a year - and I bug him to do Stevens from 1915-WWII which encompasses most of the Savage-owned era. He laughs and says Stevens went to sh*t under Savage's ownership and doesn't feel like delving into that mess, although there are a couple bright spots such as the 417-418 Walnut Hill series. I have to agree with him.)

Geez. Specialty gun books are becoming almost as expensive as the guns themselves.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The GunDigest 1981 has a very good section on the 1907 pistol. It covers when parts were changed.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 222Sako, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,298
Posts18,487,062
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.