Print Thread
Hop To
I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
My Thread of yesterday, questioning the 800,000 Savage serial range, competently answered as only 502 rifles "documented" as produced within that huge rifles. Now... Make that 503 rifles as adding mine! smile Notably outside the established serial parameters! Here below, the narrative of my last Post in that Thread. Only the couple of pix there not copyable here as to add later. The main update message is that I have a 'pretty durn good; specimen!

That last Post from below sans pix:

I have one of those elusive 800K serial rifles! An error of old in recording the first digit of the Sn.
With resulting notation of "no such Sn". Recheck today with correct SN achieved first digit "8" instead of "6" and leading to the limited production 800K serial range with its Sn of 829002. Go figure!

The rifle, in 300 Savage, appears original & nice shape. The only other notation I had about the gun, a plus of nifty forged-integral front sight ramp. Otherwise, a quite decent 24" barrel, Schnabel forend & steel butt plat. As gun appearing 100% factory original! Believe it "sells itself" without reference to unusual SN fact! No Savage expert here!
Thanks for the information!
Later! smile smile smile
John

Last edited by iskra; 03/29/24.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 250-3000, serial # 835,260. Does anyone know the breakdown of 250-3K vrs. 300 Sav?

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Had a 300R 835xxx [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thought I would share the original message on 800K guns from the old G&K forum:

Mike and anyone interested. Here is a summary of the 800,000 S/N block. It seems apparent that the company set this block aside for some unknown reason as the dates are much earlier than lower serial numbers shipped a couple of years later. Second there are way less than 100K guns in this block.

The first posted s/n is 834,000 and is followed by blank records up to 834,777. A blank record is where the numbers are posted and have no entry against them and of course no product either. The first entry is at S/N 834,778 and is dated 11/6/53.

The following entries are mixed up to s/n 834899 and are dated 10 & 11 of 1953 with a sprinkle of some 1955 and 56 dates. 834900 to 834909 are blank. 834910 to 834994 have entries dated 10-1953 with some in 1954. 834995 to 835025 are blank. 835026 to 835262 are mixed entries with 10 & 11 1953 dates. 835263 to 835412 are blank. 835413 to 835451 show entries for 8/9/10/11 of 1953. 835452 to 835520 are blank. 835521 to 835539 show entries for 10/1954 and 7/1954. 835540 to 836051 are blank.

If I did my subtraction right this makes for 502 Model 99’s in this S/N block. The next entry is at 900000, which of course is where the new longer and open receivers to accommodate the .243, .308 and .358 Winchester rounds started. I hope this sheds some light, but not necessarily some answers, on this controversial series of numbers. Jack (aka JTC)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
iskra, there have been a few badly stamped or double-stamped 6xx,xxx series 99's where the stamp REALLY looked like an 8. I couldn't tell from the picture for sure if this was the case on yours.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
iskra, there have been a few badly stamped or double-stamped 6xx,xxx series 99's where the stamp REALLY looked like an 8. I couldn't tell from the picture for sure if this was the case on yours.

You said it, but I was thinking that too....

Boss code would be interesting....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Picture?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I have a 250-3000, serial # 835,260. Does anyone know the breakdown of 250-3K vrs. 300 Sav?

I have 12 in my data. 6 are in .250 and those 6l are EG's. Of the total, 5 are R's and 7 are EG's. I don't think the records list the calibers.

Last edited by Rick99; 03/31/24.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Rick, Do you have my 2? a 250 and a 300? just checking ,dont remember if i gave them to you or not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Rick, while that is a very small sample, the proportion of 250-3K's 300's is way higher than what was being produced in the first half of the 1950's. i.e. the production of 300's was much higher than the production of 250-3K's.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the LBC on 835,260 is 19E. therefore 1953

wyo1895
[email protected]

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Re 502 rifles into as of a possible 800,000... Winchester routed as Savage unheralded ?Odds" arising Savage rifle cast as "One of A Thousand" touting as "special"! What of odds arising; "One of about one in one in 1504" odds of Savge rifles"Rifles!" smile

Requested pix partially below as five pix limation. Also the notation of some "shopped" as in Microsoft free photo-editing App. Eenhance brightness and sharpness "enhanced" for clarity. for the purpose of clairity enhanced.
Thanks for the 'pro' input & updates, particularly as referencing a probably 1953 production date. My question arising, did Savage yet in that era utilize "forged integral ramp sight bases? Did they also feature fastener holes 'ostensibly' purposed holes accommodating the Lyman "tang sight mounts?

on the 800K series as mine "within" Below the said-rifle photos with a - for all collection wide applicable - disclaimer. Pix not made nor ever intended
disclaimer! None of my "file pix" ever intended for 'prime time'. Simply for personal "in Home" use! Thus, in the hindsight of decades hence, not entirely competent in some respects. Offered for what they do achieve as hoped "good representation".

Second the "ever" situation of serials number misread. And here, that very self-questioning situation of reverifying the "no listing" status of a "6", first digit prefix as "photo shop-esque enhanced serial numer at expense of pix coloraton. My derived belief, some "high nineties" ctually, applicable in this very rifle . My being 'put onto' my own error in small notation of a "6" initial serial number "No Record". Finally getting back to follow up. Leading to that photo clarity enhancement, providing for a renewed second inquiry! So, yes! The possibility of visual misconstrual of a serial number in block known to exist, as factually true. Yet also true, my considerable confidence of observing and construing the a factual "8" "possibly" valid. Compared to the previously construed "6" as deemed invalid number.

Moving right along to The Rifle pix! All that I have and my rifle nowadays sufficiently stowed as more than simply "inconvenience of retrieval!

Questions, comments and/or complaints, solicited! smile
Best!
John

Attached Images
R60-2U.jpg (19.83 KB, 154 downloads)
R60-3.jpg (17.53 KB, 151 downloads)
R60-4.jpg (20.85 KB, 151 downloads)
R60-6U.jpg (29.94 KB, 151 downloads)
R60-8U.jpg (16.63 KB, 151 downloads)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by iskra
Re 502 rifles into as of a possible 800,000... Winchester routed as Savage unheralded ?Odds" arising Savage rifle cast as "One of A Thousand" touting as "special"! What of odds arising; "One of about one in one in 1504" odds of Savge rifles"Rifles!" smile

Requested pix partially below as five pix limation. Also the notation of some "shopped" as in Microsoft free photo-editing App. Eenhance brightness and sharpness "enhanced" for clarity. for the purpose of clairity enhanced.
Thanks for the 'pro' input & updates, particularly as referencing a probably 1953 production date. My question arising, did Savage yet in that era utilize "forged integral ramp sight bases? Did they also feature fastener holes 'ostensibly' purposed holes accommodating the Lyman "tang sight mounts?

on the 800K series as mine "within" Below the said-rifle photos with a - for all collection wide applicable - disclaimer. Pix not made nor ever intended
disclaimer! None of my "file pix" ever intended for 'prime time'. Simply for personal "in Home" use! Thus, in the hindsight of decades hence, not entirely competent in some respects. Offered for what they do achieve as hoped "good representation".

Second the "ever" situation of serials number misread. And here, that very self-questioning situation of reverifying the "no listing" status of a "6", first digit prefix as "photo shop-esque enhanced serial numer at expense of pix coloraton. My derived belief, some "high nineties" ctually, applicable in this very rifle . My being 'put onto' my own error in small notation of a "6" initial serial number "No Record". Finally getting back to follow up. Leading to that photo clarity enhancement, providing for a renewed second inquiry! So, yes! The possibility of visual misconstrual of a serial number in block known to exist, as factually true. Yet also true, my considerable confidence of observing and construing the a factual "8" "possibly" valid. Compared to the previously construed "6" as deemed invalid number.

Moving right along to The Rifle pix! All that I have and my rifle nowadays sufficiently stowed as more than simply "inconvenience of retrieval!

Best!
John

What....?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by iskra

Best!
John

must be a friggen lawyer.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Yup! Suspicions confirmed! "Friggen Lawyer!" smile smile smile I do try to cover all bases and that does affect orderly flow of story.
So! Pablum/bedtime version... My specimen Model EG pre factory scope D&T ere in every spec notable indluding receiver ring nomenclature atop versus offset as D&T accommodating. Serial, 828002 as amended upon "better pix as sharper.

Lawyer speak: "828202" SN, "beyond reasonable doubt", below as enhanced pix reflecting! Conclusion as about the best resolution, figuratively and literally, available just now!

Concerning the wider 800K entire such SN "conundrum as presented." Suggesting perhaps focus as 'where disappeared, as better focus on Savage Firm motive to distort production figures altogether.
'Ghost Production."

Such analogy in Remington Firm concluding total 20+ year production alleged topping over 30,000 by serial number indications. Indeed my own highest Model 30 SN over 30K! Yet John Lacy in an Official Remington Society Journal Publication, noting a substantial SN discrepancy as factually asserting only 23,785 produced! Remington was a known 'bumpy depression survivor as many Firms.

Inflated production numbers a known falsity tactics of varying "motives". inference of such in exactly the situation of production factual nonaccountability. Such bad motives as upcoming stock offerings, buyouts, loans procured or even 'Sub-braded sophisticated inventory thefts. Then too, the possibility of "clandestine Govt sanctioned production" or some "likely firearms" stuff! Some few conventional 99 Models injected into "stream of commerce" as false flag SN objects of 'misinformation by inference'. Construing valid serial numbers supporting entire range, before & after inferentially assumed! Sounding wild? Any wilder than better part hundreds of thousands rifle serialed production simply "gone missing"? The matter of "thinking outside bean-counter box!" Rather, what if... Projections of such greater figures conjured in perspective of "motive & intent". Such "methodology" not unusual. Only as the degree of ghost figures as arising to dramatic numbers! Perhaps viewing from wrong perspective beyond evil deeds. "Govrnment sanctioned clandestine transaction(s). The "cover up" of an entire different rlife model production where Savage was deemed best positioned to perform.
Who knows, but the "CO" accounting as best explaining "most likely Big Picture!"

Just a Quote: "Friggen Take"
Best!
John

Attached Images
R60-11U.jpg (8.04 KB, 120 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 03/31/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Loggah, got you for 2. Thanks smile

I bought CMHJohn's 300 R.

Rick...

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reading through that old posting I noted a statement I had made..."I have 7 in my data, 2 R's, 5 EG's. Two are lettered. One shipped 11/`53, one 8/`54. LBC's are E and F.

I thought maybe the first digit, "6" & "8", of the serial machine were hard to tell apart and every so often they would error and stamp some in the 800,000 range. But the seven I have data on are in the 834xxx and 835xxx range which if was intended to be 6xx,xxx serials would probably have LBC's from 1952 and would not be from 1953/1954. Well so much for that theory! "

Further thought, just because they were made doesn't mean they were used. They might have set in a pile in the vault till someone decided a way for them to be used.

Rick...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the old post CTW says the 800,000 serial #'d rifles he's seen were drilled through the stamp. My 835,260 isn't drilled through the stamp. It's not D&T'd

wyo1895
[email protected]

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That was one theory i had
Seemed everyone i had seen was drilled

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 3,021 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,431
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.