Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Diggerman
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by RHOD
Christians keep telling me the most important thing about their religion is belief. Faith based belief in their one true God. Not how you live your life. Not how you treat others. Those things can all be forgiven. Belief is the thing God most needs from you.
When you see the word ‘believe’ in the New Testament, it
comes from a Greek word that means a whole lot more than just believing something in your mind. It means ‘to put your trust and confidence in.’ In Jesus. For salvation, to be reconciled to your Creator.

Then, since your sin is now paid for, go and live a life that reflects the love and forgiveness of God as you mirror that in your love and forgiveness of the people around you.

To 'believe' is to be convinced that what you believe is true and factual. Aside from social conditioning where the religion you grew up with, be it Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, what some folks consider to be evidence or find convincing is the stickler.
How many of you have "seen" co2? You believe it is real, you believe that plants need it, You believe that it causes "global warming". So here we have a man telling us that something invisible is real, Is this guy a scientist or a Pastor?

You can't see CO either. Let's do an experiment, you go seal up your garage, start your vehicle while you're in it, stay in it with the vehicle running all night and report back to us tomorrow morning.

Since you can't see CO, and by your reasoning, that make it not real, you believe this is perfectly safe.

Let us know how this works out for you.

When you do that, run your car in the garage while you are in it, God kills you. Hey, I think I understand this religion thing!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by JakeM78
There are a whole lot of people in the world that I wish didn't believe in god so they would stop killing in his name.

They would just keep killing for a different reason.

But not for God, right?

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Christians keep telling me the most important thing about their religion is belief. Faith based belief in their one true God. Not how you live your life. Not how you treat others. Those things can all be forgiven. Belief is the thing God most needs from you.
comes from a Greek word that means a whole lot more than just believing something in your mind. It means ‘to put your trust and confidence in.’ In Jesus. For salvation, to be reconciled to your Creator.

Then, since your sin is now paid for, go and live a life that reflects the love and forgiveness of God as you mirror that in your love and forgiveness of the people around you.

To 'believe' is to be convinced that what you believe is true and factual. Aside from social conditioning where the religion you grew up with, be it Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, what some folks consider to be evidence or find convincing is the stickler.
How many of you have "seen" co2? You believe it is real, you believe that plants need it, You believe that it causes "global warming". So here we have a man telling us that something invisible is real, Is this guy a scientist or a Pastor?

Something physical may be invisible to the naked eye, but it is detectable. We know what the properties of CO2 are because as a gas it is physical and detectable. As with argon, etc, we use it for many different applications, welding and so on.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
When you intentionally misquote what was said (like you clearly did) in order to support your position, then your position is a weak position.
"I don't know therefore GOD"
"It's beyond my comprehension therefore GOD."
"It's so wonderous therefore GOD."
"Science is too hard for me to understand therefore GOD."

How every you want to paraphrase it they are all bad arguments.
All science pivots on the big bang, Which is far harder to believe than a divine creator. You do not need religion to understand God.

Ok, if you say so.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You simply don’t believe the truth, especially if it doesn’t jive with your already established beliefs and agenda. You want the truth to be what you believe.
Think about what you have written here. Think hard about who this describes.

Last edited by Hastings; 03/29/24.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You simply don’t believe the truth, especially if it doesn’t jive with your already established beliefs and agenda. You want the truth to be what you believe.
Originally Posted by Hastings
It describes you, to a T, when it comes to your Hebrew Roots Movement psychobabble.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by DBT

Um, Yeah I've seen CO2. It's called dry ice in its solid form and easily visible. If you Christers had paid attention in 9th grade science class you wouldn't be saying such silly things.
If you paid attention you would have known that was actually water vapor.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
When you intentionally misquote what was said (like you clearly did) in order to support your position, then your position is a weak position.
"I don't know therefore GOD"
"It's beyond my comprehension therefore GOD."
"It's so wonderous therefore GOD."
"Science is too hard for me to understand therefore GOD."

How every you want to paraphrase it they are all bad arguments.
All science pivots on the big bang, Which is far harder to believe than a divine creator. You do not need religion to understand God.

Ok, if you say so.
Ummm, Give me one real factoid proving the bigbang, Im listening. If you can give evidence of this big bang, I will change teams.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I believe he may have meant that all science doesn't necessarily pivot on the big bang theory.

Having said that, "give me one factoid that proves" any complex theory is basically impossible. And simplistic.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Matthew 19:26

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It describes you, to a T, when it comes to your Hebrew Roots Movement psychobabble.
It is not me that has "established beliefs and agenda". I admit there's a lot I don't know. The record is sparse but it does show a huge rift between Jesus' first churches in the years after his death and a certain revisionist of his message. That is clear. He had to be rescued by the Roman Army.

Jesus clearly did not claim to be God. He talked about God constantly as his father, prayed to God, gave credit to God.

I wasn't there. I could be wrong. I don't have "established beliefs and agenda". But I don't believe God cancelled the covenant and the miracle of the reincarnated nation of Israel is a huge clue. I will keep an open mind but the record of the early Christian followers of Jesus that formed churches in Jerusalem, Asia Minor, and even Ethiopia indicates they maintained a fealty to the Hebrew faith and expelled a preacher that claimed visions to the contrary.

I will keep reading the scriptures that we have and some of the discarded ones, but I cannot find evidence that Jesus claimed he was God. The statement about the Father and I are ONE is ambiguous at the very longest stretch, and I would take it to mean " I speak for my Father who sent me".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jesus clearly did not claim to be God.
Yes He did. Clearly. And His disciples “worshipped” Him because He was God. And they knew it.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll just put this in. Matthew 19:26

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
YES!

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The statement about the Father and I are ONE is ambiguous at the very longest stretch, and I would take it to mean "I speak for my Father who sent me".
You choose to take it that way so it’ll jive with your already established beliefs and agenda.

The Apostle John also clearly said that Jesus was God.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes He did. Clearly. And His disciples “worshipped” Him because He was God. And they knew it.
Think about it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hasting
Think about it.
YOU think about it. Honestly for a change.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It's complicated to me. Some verses make a distinction.

- “If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe. I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me, but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me.” Jn. 14:28.

- “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.” Jn. 15:1-2.

- “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Mt 24:36; see also Mk. 13:32.

Matthew 24:36 and Mark 13:32 seem to suggest that Jesus (“the Son”) is distinct from God because even Jesus will not know of his own second coming ahead of time. If so, this seems to distinguish the Son and the Father as having different levels of knowledge and power.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hasting
Think about it.
YOU think about it. Honestly for a change.
I think and read about Jesus' ministry a lot. And about the early church led by the men Jesus publicly called. In my mind I argue against and examine my beliefs in an attempt to see if I'm down a wrong road. I will keep that up. Questioning and examining claims by the present day "Christian" mainstream churches is not a sin. Churches that are by the way, mostly the lineal descendants of the Roman church.

I think even you would agree the church completely ran off the rails when it partnered as the enforcement arm of the government. The Jesus that I read the teachings of could never support murder and coercion especially in support of an evil civil government. Back then the church would convict and then turn the "miscreants" over to the civil authorities to be burned alive as a warning to other dissidents. Pretty similar to what the church "leaders" of his day did to Jesus as a message to his followers that they could expect the same.

I'll keep studying and considering the other side that agues against what I've learned from my study so far but I can assure you I'm far from alone in my beliefs.

You may be entirely correct in your belief of the deity of Jesus and the end of the covenant but so far I think not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God clearly separated the temporary and conditional and fulfilled and retired old covenant that He made with only the ancient Israelites…not to be confused with the everlasting and unconditional Abrahamic Covenant…from the unconditional and everlasting New Covenant that He made through Jesus with ALL of the people in ALL of the world.

Jesus made this crystal clear with His parables of the new wine in old wineskins and a new cloth patch on an old garment. They are incompatible. And this was made crystal clear well before “the church ran off the rails when it partnered with the enforcement arm of the government.”

But the Judaizers ‘still’ taught that a person had to become a Jew and abide by the Law of Moses in order to be a follower of Jesus. So Jesus’ “called” apostle Peter and His own brother James (who was the leader of the church in Jerusalem) unhitched the church from the worldview and value system and regulations of the Law of Moses. They did this at the First Council of Jerusalem, well before “the church ran off the rails when it partnered with the enforcement arm of the government.”

But modern day Judaizers still exist. Clearly.

Page 57 of 64 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 63 64

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,298
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.