Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Love how gentle the owner of the Pit Bull was trying to get it off the Husky.

Me, owner of the Husky?

1 step forward. BLAM.

Bye..
So, when I was with my pure Pitbull at the dog park back in the early two thousands, and an elderly gentleman's Boxer charged him, grabbed him by the face, and wouldn't let go, instead of helping the man get his dog off mine (the Boxer actually bit my hand while trying to get a better grip on my dog's face), I should have drawn and fired?? Got it.

Your situation was different.

You do you. You're in a blue blue blue county. I guess you'd want to consider that.

Back before the prevalence of concealed carry, a few decades ago, I saw a lot of people in Albuquerque walking and running with a 9-iron. Next to a sword or firearm, that is a fairly good antidote for dog attacks.

There is a black dude who walks in my neighborhood with a long chain all the time.

Nobody seems to bother him. 🤣

Last edited by local_dirt; 03/30/24.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I've been handling insurance claims for over 30 years. For the last several years, I have handled property liability claims exclusively. Here's my perspective:

Dog bite claims are the the single most common liability claim made under a homeowners or renters policy.

Bully breeds (Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, etc) account for the largest share of dog bite claims, and produce the most serious injuries. German Shepherds are second in frequency, and nearly equal in severity. Other breeds such as Cane Corsos, Mastiffs, and Catahoula Leopard Dogs produce a disproportionate number of injuiry claims. Of the smaller breeds, Australian Shepherds are notorious ankle biters and produce a lot of claims by people bitten while jogging or riding bikes. Their bites can be quite severe.

Labs, Golden Retrievers and Collies may bite, but the number of claims people make as a result are negligible. If I handle the rare claim for a bite from a Lab, it's almost always a "Lab mix." When I ask what it's mixed with, I'm almost always told "maybe a terrier of some kind."

The most frequent excuse when an insured's dog gets out is about equal shares of: a) "my kid left the door/gate open", and 2) "the dog slipped out when I was taking a package from the Amazon guy." But I am also amazed at the number of people that simply cannot control their leashed dog. I've seen claims where women and children were literally dragged by their dog as it pulls to attack another dog or person. Others willfully let their dog run at large.

The most frequent comment about the severity of the injury by the dog owner is "it was just a nip." Or "he was just playing." Many dog owners are simply unwilling to confront the fact that their dog just tore someone up. That comment is almost always followed by, "I want to fight this, it wasn't that bad."

Here's the reality: If your dog bites someone, unless that person was actually trespassing or provoking your dog, you will be 100% liable in states with strict liability laws, and there's a lot of those states. If your conduct was egregious or reckless, and that conduct allowed the attack or bite to occur, you may be liable for punitive damages, and punitive damages are usually not covered by your insurance policy. In states without strict liability laws, you will likely be liable if there was a leash law you violated - such as your dog running at large. "One Bite Rules" in states can be overcome if you had ANY notice of any prior aggression or bites. Most juries are not going to stiff a bite victim.

If your dog bites someone, no matter how "sweet" it is, you are now in possession of a dog that bites. You will likely lose your homeowners or renters insurance. Many insurers do not want to insure a home that houses a dog that has bitten.

Lesson - control your dog.

10g’s,

Thank you for taking time to post this!

Something like this should be required reading for dog owners. Pitbull owners almost never have insurance because they can’t get it and if they do have it, they usually lied on their insurance application…which voids their coverage.

Useless damn mutts!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't hate pitbulls.
I just don't understand. There are so many amazing dog breeds out there. If you are not using them on wild boar, I have no idea why people would chose them.
If people were smart and didn't chose them, they wouldn't be so popular and therefore not nearly as prevalent. Less pits would equal less bites.

But asking people to make smart, informed decisions seems to be asking way too much these days......

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I’ve owned four houses. Everyone time I got home owners insurance they refused to cover me if I owned a pit and it’s in the documents

Wonder why?!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RUM7
I don't hate pitbulls.
I just don't understand. There are so many amazing dog breeds out there. If you are not using them on wild boar, I have no idea why people would chose them.
If people were smart and didn't chose them, they wouldn't be so popular and therefore not nearly as prevalent. Less pits would equal less bites.

But asking people to make smart, informed decisions seems to be asking way too much these days......

Why? Some watch shows <see vid> and want to be part of that mindset.

GOA
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Our beagle was the ultimate kid's dog. Could trust him with everything except guarding you sandwich when you left the room. He was the hit of the neighborhood. He loved playing with our kids and their friends. Took him for a walk in a public park and many kids came over and played with him. Then one @10-year-old girl came over and he changed. His hackles went up and his teeth were bared. She and we separated ways and back to playing will all the kids. She approached a while later and same reaction. What was he sensing with this cute little girl I never knew.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Our beagle was the ultimate kid's dog. Could trust him with everything except guarding you sandwich when you left the room. He was the hit of the neighborhood. He loved playing with our kids and their friends. Took him for a walk in a public park and many kids came over and played with him. Then one @10-year-old girl came over and he changed. His hackles went up and his teeth were bared. She and we separated ways and back to playing will all the kids. She approached a while later and same reaction. What was he sensing with this cute little girl I never knew.
Future Democrat probably. Dogs know.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Angus1895
It’s amazing how calm the husky appears.

The pitbull seems very jovial.

The people showing these dogs perhaps should switch to goldfish. Or flowers.

EXACTLY! AND PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED. That wasn 't an attack. If it was, the Husky was looking to commit suicide

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jc189
Pitt Bull owners are always quick to say my dog has never acted aggressively. Or not my dog, she is a female and as sweet as can be. Or my dog wouldn't hurt anybody.

The daughter of a friend of mine had a pitt bull. Same story, my dog wouldn't hurt a flea. Well one day, for no apparent reason, the pitt bull attacked there 2 year old boy. The dog latched on to his face and almost killed him. The boy was airlifted via trauma helicopter to a trauma center. He's lucky he survived.

They are all good dogs, until they are not. And when that trigger gets pulled very bad things happen. It may never happen, but the potential is ALWAYS there.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the same thing as loading one of your guns, taking the safety off, and telling your kids here go play with this. Ticking time bomb.

Exactly.

The breed should be exterminated.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The first and most lasting thing I learned as a USAF SP MWD handler was “[bleep] rolls down leash. It ain’t necessarily the dog and more likely the owner. And, after working 25 years as a LEO I have yet to be bite by a pit bull. Am I careful around them? Yes. I’m also careful around other large breeds such as German Shepherds, Mastiffs etc. The only dogs I’ve been bitten by on duty have been border collies because their owners don’t have enough sense to stay on the same side of me as the dog is and the dog nips me in the thigh every time trying to move me like cattle. Again, the dumb owner not the dog.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Interesting thought process by some. Are Pitt bulls genetically predisposed for the behavior? Perhaps and so are a lot of dogs. Some of the crankiest SOB’s and prone to fight I’ve seen have been Plott hounds. Get them too close together after a bear chase and they will go at it with each other guaranteed. Taking a Pitt or other alpha dog to a cutesy dog show is stupid to start with. They don’t belong there. So here’s an analogy. Go back to the 70’s or 80’s to a good old fashioned hole in the wall bar or honky tonk with a bunch of men who had a respectable level of testosterone and a few beers and then compare it to whatever kind of hang out the current generation of manbun snowflakes frequent. Thinking that dog show would look mild in comparison.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I wonder if our resident Pit owners would come on here and admit WHEN it goes off?

Roger STX is the only one I know of that has admitted to pushing the limits with a pit.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's another side of the story- A few years ago in our town a policeman was walking down the street to visit with some folks, which is isn't unusual in this town as community policing is the charter here and we get along well with our police department . In any case, a yellow lab charged at the policeman out of nowhere with it's hackles up and teeth bared. As it approached, the cop shot it several times, killing it just before it reached him. He was reprimanded, the city was sued and lost a large settlement, and the policeman lost his job. Yes, our city, which used to be a town of approximately 8K residents and a conservative farm community has grown into a community of 109,000 drawn by high tech growth and is decidedly going blue more each day.

Growing up our family always had dogs and my dad's favorite was boxers and he had a bit of a puppy mill going on in the garage. Keep in mind this was 60-65 years ago. One of my earliest memories was watching them bob the tails of those puppies. The female boxer we had was the sweetest dog you've ever met- it would sleep on the front porch with the neighborhood cats, dogs, and even a family of raccoons . The male , on the other hand, was the most vicious dog I've ever seen then or since. It would literally tear cats into pieces and would do just about anything to get to a cat. Once it bit my mom on the foot when she tried to get a cat away from it and my mom retreated to the house until we got back a couple days later from a hunting trip. My dad was the alpha male to that dog and was the only person he would ever listen to and with him gone, the dog felt like he was running the show. When we got back and my dad heard about what happened he didn't even unpack before he took care of it. He took out his Remington 760 30-06, tossed a bone out in our pasture as far as he could throw it, and when the dog went to retrieve it he shot it and we buried it right there. We had 8 kids in the family and dad couldn't afford to have a vicious dog around the family.

I usually love boxers- they are goofy and look really great and are usually great family dogs, but they aren't the smartest breed around. We have also had labs and once a Pomeranian. Of all of them I think I hated that yapping little Pomeranian the most. I can't tell you how many times it bit me on the ankles when I was a kid. It suddenly disappeared one day and my folks simply said it ran away. I didn't really care either way as I was just glad it was gone.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
We have been a lab family. LOTS of upland hunting.

Neither of them would ever think about biting a human.

Our labs are gone now. We waited a year and a half until a Corgi pup came into our life by accident.

She is cool as hell!

Last edited by Rooster7; 03/30/24.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by brinky72
Interesting thought process by some. Are Pitt bulls genetically predisposed for the behavior? .

Seriously....?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by brinky72
The first and most lasting thing I learned as a USAF SP MWD handler was “[bleep] rolls down leash. It ain’t necessarily the dog and more likely the owner. And, after working 25 years as a LEO I have yet to be bite by a pit bull. Am I careful around them? Yes. I’m also careful around other large breeds such as German Shepherds, Mastiffs etc. The only dogs I’ve been bitten by on duty have been border collies because their owners don’t have enough sense to stay on the same side of me as the dog is and the dog nips me in the thigh every time trying to move me like cattle. Again, the dumb owner not the dog.

fascinating. lol. appears you learned nothing or are a pathetic attempt at trolling

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
boxers are great family dogs? lol

Originally Posted by Sheister
Here's another side of the story- A few years ago in our town a policeman was walking down the street to visit with some folks, which is isn't unusual in this town as community policing is the charter here and we get along well with our police department . In any case, a yellow lab charged at the policeman out of nowhere with it's hackles up and teeth bared. As it approached, the cop shot it several times, killing it just before it reached him. He was reprimanded, the city was sued and lost a large settlement, and the policeman lost his job. Yes, our city, which used to be a town of approximately 8K residents and a conservative farm community has grown into a community of 109,000 drawn by high tech growth and is decidedly going blue more each day.

Growing up our family always had dogs and my dad's favorite was boxers and he had a bit of a puppy mill going on in the garage. Keep in mind this was 60-65 years ago. One of my earliest memories was watching them bob the tails of those puppies. The female boxer we had was the sweetest dog you've ever met- it would sleep on the front porch with the neighborhood cats, dogs, and even a family of raccoons . The male , on the other hand, was the most vicious dog I've ever seen then or since. It would literally tear cats into pieces and would do just about anything to get to a cat. Once it bit my mom on the foot when she tried to get a cat away from it and my mom retreated to the house until we got back a couple days later from a hunting trip. My dad was the alpha male to that dog and was the only person he would ever listen to and with him gone, the dog felt like he was running the show. When we got back and my dad heard about what happened he didn't even unpack before he took care of it. He took out his Remington 760 30-06, tossed a bone out in our pasture as far as he could throw it, and when the dog went to retrieve it he shot it and we buried it right there. We had 8 kids in the family and dad couldn't afford to have a vicious dog around the family.

I usually love boxers- they are goofy and look really great and are usually great family dogs, but they aren't the smartest breed around. We have also had labs and once a Pomeranian. Of all of them I think I hated that yapping little Pomeranian the most. I can't tell you how many times it bit me on the ankles when I was a kid. It suddenly disappeared one day and my folks simply said it ran away. I didn't really care either way as I was just glad it was gone.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by acooper1983
ive had pits most of my life, as have my parents/grand parents. They do have prey drive, most definitely. the vast majority of incidents occur because inexperienced owners that cant control them own them, because they look cool. There isnt enough context in that video to tell what happened, huskies are known for being mouthy dogs, and it very well may have wrote a check its ass couldnt cash. Once was walking my dog in a nearly deserted park, with my 95lb unaltered male, some complete moron decided he should ignore leash laws and was letting his large black lab run all over, his lab ran up to my dog and i told him he needed to leash his dog and keep it away from mine, his dog attempted to assert dominace (ran up and attempted to jump on my dog) and got its ass kicked in about 3 seconds, and it was well deserved. I didnt let my dog do any real damage in that brief exchanged, but an idiot owner, or an inexperienced owner could have had a major problem.

thanks for your pit owner input. Having an animal with a high prey drive is a great choice for a family dog? =wtf?

lol. a dog runs up to your psycho pit and you think your psycho pit is justified and should should kill the dog? you seem proud as a pit owner your dog could another family's dog. you must be a proud union member I bet that donated to Biden? All unions donate millions to pedos like Biden

pits look cool? They all look like they need a bullet in the back of their heads

why do all pit owners look like child molesters?

thanks for reminding everyone on here what schitty dogs pits are and what losers there are that choose them. I've shot my share of vicious pits in the course of my work and wish I shot more after witnessing all of the faces they tore off of children and the senior citizens they multilated and ate

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
From my experience after owning bulldogs for 50+ years, it's always the owners fault. It's definitely easy to set a bulldog up to fail, but there's not any other breed of dog that will protect your property and loved one's against people or animals like a bulldog.

Life is good live it while you can.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
From my experience after owning bulldogs for 50+ years, it's always the owners fault. It's definitely easy to set a bulldog up to fail, but there's not any other breed of dog that will protect your property and loved one's against people or animals like a bulldog.
Agreed.

When professional burglars were surveyed in prison, they ranked dogs by how much they'd deter them in their decision whether to burglarize a particular house. The two top ranking dogs were Pitbulls and Doberman Pinschers. Many stated that they'd choose another house rather than burglarize one with either a Pitbull or Doberman in it.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 80 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.