Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a swell time!

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Well, from my house looking south, it appears to be trying to clear.
Who🤷‍♂️ Knows

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Looks busy.

[Linked Image from weather.gov]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many years ago while I was at Site Summit we seemed to get our worst winds and heavy wet snow in April. We would get snowed in at the launching site and spend several hours waiting for the snow blower to push it's way through the huge drifts just to change crews. I surely don't miss those winds and heavy snow storms. The launching site was at 3200 feet and the barracks was at 4000 ASL.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't consider it spring here (SE Oregon at 4,500ft) until mid-June. It just might be safe to finally plant one's tomatoes. Even then, we've had snow in July and August. Got a couple inches yesterday.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/30/24.

1Minute
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by kwg020
Many years ago while I was at Site Summit we seemed to get our worst winds and heavy wet snow in April. We would get snowed in at the launching site and spend several hours waiting for the snow blower to push it's way through the huge drifts just to change crews..........

LOL..........A couple of my co-workers in a blower and a D-7 got caught in a whiteout on the mountain trying to cut their way to the site. They were there for two days waiting so they could see where they were going.

NRA Life Endowment Member
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I have shunshine now. Crazy.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntster
Many years ago while I was at Site Summit we seemed to get our worst winds and heavy wet snow in April. We would get snowed in at the launching site and spend several hours waiting for the snow blower to push it's way through the huge drifts just to change crews..........

LOL..........A couple of my co-workers in a blower and a D-7 got caught in a whiteout on the mountain trying to cut their way to the site. They were there for two days waiting so they could see where they were going.
What year was that ?? I was there in 1975 and 1976.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
We had wind overnight, but no snow. Wind is starting to settle a bit. It’s now 34 gusting 51, but was much higher last night. Dogs do not like that!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

kwg

I can't pinpoint it, but it was definitely sometime after 1974. We were maintaining the road even after the missile battery deactivated, because lots of agencies had commo towers up there, and needed access for repairs and maintenance. After that event, our organization balked at opening it up in winter, and pressured everybody to use snowmobiles and helicopters for winter access.

I was an active duty engineer in '74/'75, and I know a guy who was detailed up there about then. I think he was there until deactivation. Have you seen these?

https://home.army.mil/alaska/application/files/6315/0912/6115/Fort_Richardson_Cold_War.pdf

https://www.nps.gov/places/nike-site-summit.htm

https://www.nikesitesummit.net/

Last edited by Huntster; 03/31/24.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We got a couple inches at our place last night and it was still coming down pretty good when I left for work. The drive into Anc at 0530 this morning was pretty f****** heinous though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We got enough snow to make the ground white here again. I had big palms of cleaning up dog crap this evening.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Rain here in Sterling yesterday pm. No snow. Wind seems to be slacking off a bit.

Something tinny sounding was banging around half the night. I'm putting off going to see what. Hope it's nothing to do with the garage roof- think it's a panel I have covering a boat trailer. Need more coffee before I go out.

Bet the poly tarps over the snowmachines are gone, or at least off, also.

I wonder if AlaskaAir will let me do a walkaround the plane in the morning- just to make sure no doors have blown off? I know how to do that!

Last edited by las; 03/31/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I see one of my tarps way out behind the house!

Power outages from above east foreland down out east end.

https://outage.homerelectric.com/

We got electrons now after being out 6/7 hours.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I drove down to Thompson Pass Friday evening for one last white-tailed ptarmigan hunt...holy hell was it a mess yesterday. I didn't even get out of the vehicle. I just turned around and headed back home. Weather man said 35+ MPH gusts and 12-18 inches of heavy snow was expected yesterday...I wouldn't doubt that was correct.

Gusts in the Delta area were supposed to have been approaching 60+ MPH but I never saw anything that bad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntster

kwg

I can't pinpoint it, but it was definitely sometime after 1974. We were maintaining the road even after the missile battery deactivated, because lots of agencies had commo towers up there, and needed access for repairs and maintenance. After that event, our organization balked at opening it up in winter, and pressured everybody to use snowmobiles and helicopters for winter access.

I was an active duty engineer in '74/'75, and I know a guy who was detailed up there about then. I think he was there until deactivation. Have you seen these?

https://home.army.mil/alaska/application/files/6315/0912/6115/Fort_Richardson_Cold_War.pdf

https://www.nps.gov/places/nike-site-summit.htm

https://www.nikesitesummit.net/
I left in June, 1976. The Site closed in July 1979. I knew some of the road clearing crew back then. Chuck Anderson was a guy from Iowa who worked for the Army maintaining the Site and clearing roads. I don't recall the other guys names at this point. I actually started up the cat one day to pull a friend out of a snowbank not far from the launching area. It was always plugged in to a heater. The commander came by and saw me in the cat and I thought I was toast. But, he made me the backup snow blower driver and cat driver instead. Unfortunately, I never got it recorded on my driving record for future use.

I will be back in Anchorage for a reunion in September. (16 to 20th) I understand we will be going back up the hill for another tour. I was there in July of 2022 for a visit with some friends. It was somewhat surreal seeing it in it's present condition.

It was quite the place in the 1970's. I left San Antonio in late November 1974 and reported to Ft. Richardson December 16th 1974. I spent 18 months at the Site.

kwg

My son in law has a good friend who lives in Palmer. Unfortunately, I don't know his name.

Last edited by kwg020; 03/31/24.

Hailing yesterday, snowing today, I'm ready for some actual sunshine.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
........I left San Antonio in late November 1974 and reported to Ft. Richardson December 16th 1974.........

LOL..........I reported for duty on Dec. 18, 1974. We might have been at the Replacement Co. at the same time at Bldg. 650. Within a month of our arrival there were two earthquakes; a 7.0 and a 7.1.........I think. They were strong ones.

I worked with Chuck Anderson as a civilian for several years (I hired on with post engineers in 1981). I believe he retired in 1988 or so. Does the name Dennis Hubbard ring a bell?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Power was out for 24 hours, so no water, no heat, no snow, just wind.

The beer survived, so all is well. Still searching for a place to live in greater Soldotna area.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

215 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,792 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.