Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Curious to see if there is a consensus on what tools to carry in your hunting bag just in case something goes wrong with the rifle. For me, the focus is on scope related issues with tools like a bore sighter, torx driver, and lens cleaning gear. A sectioned rifle cleaning rod mostly for stuck cases and to clear the bore, but also with minimalist bore cleaning consumables, and a multi-tool designed for firearms. Also carry some small rifle parts and screws.

What tools are you carrying in your hunting bag?

Last edited by FSJeeper; 03/31/24.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
This subject came up a little earlier on this forum, and of course went on for a while. It started on 2/20/2024...

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John's right on that.

It might be a little more interesting if you differentiate between what you take with you to camp, and what you carry in the field.
The answers will of course vary dramatically on the nature of the hunt, since, for instance, if backpacking, the field and your camp may be the same.

So I'll add a question - what is the minimum you'll have with you while actually hunting? Obviously, "it depends." I always have a lightweight breakdown cleaning rod to clear the bore if necessary. And for those of my rifles that wear Leupold QD bases (which is about half of them), an ultralight spare scope already sighted in (Typically a Leupold M8 2.5X or 4X Compact).

Cheers, and Happy Easter
Rex

F
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks Mule Deer and TRex. Found the post, this one is redundant, 24 Hour won't let me delete it.

Here is the post Mule Deer was referring to: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...a-adequate-field-repair-kit#Post19231684

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
All I carry is ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All my hunting is within 20 miles of home, every day starts and ends at home.
Dad's place is even closer to most hunting places.
There really isn't anything I can think of that I'd be happy to fix that wouldn't end up at Dad's or home.

When traveling, screwdrivers, Do-Alls, cleaning equipment...
Always had a spare rifle for traveling too.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A multi tool and microfiber towel in the field. Cleaning rod and wrenches in the truck.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Usual assortment of screwdrivers, Allen keys etc in the car. If I'm using my Remington 308 I'll also have an Israeli Mauser in the car as a spare - they have the same headspace so my reloads work in either.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I always have tools in the truck, along with basic gun cleaning supplies and cleaning rod. Only carry a multi tool and a partial roll of duck tape in my pack to “fix things”.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TRexF16
It might be a little more interesting if you differentiate between what you take with you to camp, and what you carry in the field.

I always bring a complete parts set in the form of another rifle. Or two. Or seven. And some handguns. laugh

I almost always hunt about a five hour drive from home, but never more than an hours walk from "camp", which is a cabin. So I don't bring any tools "afield".

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
All my hunting is within 20 miles of home, every day starts and ends at home.
Dad's place is even closer to most hunting places.
There really isn't anything I can think of that I'd be happy to fix that wouldn't end up at Dad's or home.

When traveling, screwdrivers, Do-Alls, cleaning equipment...
Always had a spare rifle for traveling too.

Pretty much describes what I do. No more traveling, so the spare artillery is at home, 20 minutes away.

If I were going out in the wild, a compact red dot could easily sub for a spare scope for a rifle with no irons.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
T.P. in a sealed bag always , new throw away lighter , roll of electrician black tape , green army string type rope , multi - tool , i used to carry a flash light but now days the stocking hat with LED light does work much better. in my truck i carry lots of equipment including a dirt shovel ,snow scoop shovel and a bag full battery tools including saw-all and different blades. truck has a case of water , a case of MRE`s with the heaters in each meal pack , first aid kit in truck too, gun cleaning kit and extra gun of same cartridge.

Last edited by pete53; 04/05/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On the actual stalking part of the hunt? just my rifle, knife, compass and fire at a minimum, good small flashlight. Now as far as what do I take with me and leave at the compound, tent, etc. I always take two rifles on what I can "money hunts" a spare, previously sighted scope and a small tool kit, medicine kit and OF COURSE a bottle (or two) of my favorite whisky and a box of cigars..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I use USGI sustainment pouches and ziplock bags to organize whatever I decide to carry in my Johnson Woolen Mills wool daypack. If I'm going to hunt more than an hour or so from home I bring a spare/loaner rifle, usually a S&W C in 30-06 with a Bushnell Scopechief 2.5-8x32 installed. I tailor my load to the specific mission at hand. My still hunting kit being different from my sit on a stand kit. Being a former mechanized infantryman, my mantra is that it is better to have and not need than to need and not have, so I pack heavy as long as I don't have to carry it far on my ever ageing back.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I do all my deer hunting close to home so I carry nothing other than ammo. When I go on my annual elk hunt I again carry nothing as I have always used either a model 70 or a ruger model 77. I’ve never had a gun-related problem in over 50 years, even when hunting in Alaska. I’ve been lucky I guess.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use a Winchester 70 CRF or a Ruger 77 never had a problem in over 50 years.....if I used a different brand of rifle I would always have an extra in the truck because I know there would be a problem.....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
most of the time big game hunting i carry a Ruger #1 but when in big bear country its either a Winchester model 70 , Ruger 77 sometimes a Browning BLR. now since bears , cats and wolves are becoming a problem and these populations are getting to high i decided to also carry a x-draw holster with a smaller Ruger 357 Mag. too. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I always bring two rifles, got to have a spare.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[/quote]hanco]I always bring two rifles, got to have a spare.[/quote]

I do too. Went on a quail hunt close to 50 years ago and had a firing pin break on first covey. Always take a backup gun since then.

Texas bred and born
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
When actually in the woods my only tool is a Swiss Army Knife. It'll deal with any screws that may need turning, and for cutting bite-size chunks off of a piece of sausage. (I sometimes even debate whether to take along a "proper" knife - I've actually gutted deer with just the SAK in a pinch - but tradition holds that I equip myself with a sheath knife too so it's there also.)

I used to pack an Otis emergency cleaning kit with coiled up flexible cleaning "rod", mainly in case of a need to clear a barrel. Since after 30 years of having it handy and never once needing to use it, it now resides with all the other crap I "might need" back at base of operations be it home, motel, or camp. Little by little over the years I've learned not to be anal and fret over "what might happen". I don't even mess with a day pack anymore, just a canvas shoulder bag, ex-Israeli medic's bag, mainly for the snacks/water/book - stuff I actually have a use for on a day spent guarding the trees.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,865 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.