Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by RUM7
Different strokes I guess.
My dog often runs free and visits the neighbors out in our rural area. Of course, my neighbors all know him and like him alot. He often plays with the big black lab next door. Of course, the only thing he kills are feral cats and once a young coyote.
It helps he's not a pit and my neighbors are good people.

He does always have a GPS collar on and has learned his boundaries. We don't live on "rural" 2 acre lots.
My neighbor, who was also a good friend, had a female lab like that.
She spent as much time going up/down the mountain trails as I did during my trail runs and was well known in the area. I don’t think anyone cared because she was friendly (she learned quickly to stay out of my backyard where I built the kennel for my GSD since he didn’t like ANY other dog).
All was well until she got hit by someone on our road, then it was ‘that driver’s’ fault. Decisions have consequences.
When I start trapping I catch those kind of dogs within a few days. If the dog has a collar I let it go the first time. I just wish people would keep their animals on their own property or on a leash.
Maybe I didn't explain well. My dog's collar acts like an electronic fence. It just uses GPS. Not an ungrounded wire. I know where to let him roam and where not to.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those gps collars sound like a good deal?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Those gps collars sound like a good deal?
They work. I leave a perrty big buffer by the road because I don't trust it to be perfectly accurate. But so far, so good. Once they know the boundary, they don't push the limit.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Just an aside, I was walking my 70 lb Old English Bulldog (image below) last year at night. As we approached the fenced in yard of two dogs (a full blooded male Pitbull in his prime weighing about 65 lbs, and his female German Shepherd buddy, also in her prime), I noticed that they were both loose. Someone had left their gate open.

These two dogs have been acting like they've been spoiling for a fight with my dog for years from behind their fence, and now they were loose, and both charging at me and my dog with all anger and fury.

My dog just looked at them square, body braced for a fight as they charged towards him, and when they got within a couple of yards, with a low roar he launched himself in their direction, like, "Okay, lets do this." I could barely hold onto the leash.

At seeing this, both of them practically fell over themselves to stop on a dime within feet of my dog, and ran back to their property as fast as their feet would carry them. grin

It tickles me every time I think of it.

[Linked Image]

The_Real_Hawkeye,

I'm glad your 70 lb Old English Bulldog had what it takes to stop the advance of the Pitbull and German Shepherd.

Can you imagine if you were walking by with your young daughter or granddaughter. A young child does not have what it takes to stop an aggressive attack. A loose pitbull and a child in the same vicinity has the potential for a catastrophic outcome.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This or worse. This poor little girl will have to live with the horror of that attack every time she looks in the mirror.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’ve got a cousin that has a Blue Heeler that is very aggressive. We were talking today at a family function about how many people have been bitten by that dog.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I see pitbulls as a sociopaths dog. Usually some wanna be tough guy owns one because as a sociopath he thinks everything is about intimidation. I love most all dogs but few things upset me more then when a neighbor had 2 pit bulls that used to run free through our neighborhood.

I caught a coyote once trying to lure our dog out of the yard. I put a 75g amax through its high lungs at about 300 yards with my 223 AI. That neighbors pit bulls heard the shot and came running like bird dogs. Somehow the coyote got back on its feet despite being able to see daylight through the hole behind its shoulders.

Those pit bulls saw and immediately ran and tore it to shreds. After witnessing that I regretted not cracking off a few more rounds and putting the pits down too. A few days latter our other neighbor told us those Pitts had attacked her while jogging and drew blood before someone stopped to help. I told her I wished she would have told me that last week.

Luckily the old lady with the pits moved later that month. Before she moved I told her I thought her dogs were dangerous and I was glad to see them go. She said I know they are dangerous that's why I have them. She said she likes the fact that they are intimidating because people leave her alone. I said you better just hope they don't turn on you. She owned and developed our neighborhood and sold myself and our neighbors all pit bulls.

After she moved everyone started talking about how she lied to them and cheated them on their deals. She also told us that she wasn't going to allow homes under 4000 ft in the neighborhood and then changed it to 3200 right after we built a 5200' home with a 4 car. After hearing all the other neighbors story's I thought maybe that old lady was a sociopath. It would seem to fit with the pitbulls.

I recently met a dog rescue lady that rescued pitbulls and said one should never be put down. She was a big time leftist and asked why I had wire haired pointing griffons. I told her because I wanted bird hunting dogs that my kids weren't allergic too. She made some snide comments about hunters and gun owners. I then told her I couldn't believe she advocated Pitt bulls but was against gun ownership.

She then said guns kill more people than pittbulls. I said no, no gun has ever killed anyone on its own. Guns don't have brains and don't just suddenly decide on their own to tear the face off of a 3 year old girl. I told her that Pitt bulls are the reason I bought my wife an 38 special to carry while walking our bird dogs.

Bb

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by acooper1983
ive had pits most of my life, as have my parents/grand parents. They do have prey drive, most definitely. the vast majority of incidents occur because inexperienced owners that cant control them own them, because they look cool. There isnt enough context in that video to tell what happened, huskies are known for being mouthy dogs, and it very well may have wrote a check its ass couldnt cash. Once was walking my dog in a nearly deserted park, with my 95lb unaltered male, some complete moron decided he should ignore leash laws and was letting his large black lab run all over, his lab ran up to my dog and i told him he needed to leash his dog and keep it away from mine, his dog attempted to assert dominace (ran up and attempted to jump on my dog) and got its ass kicked in about 3 seconds, and it was well deserved. I didnt let my dog do any real damage in that brief exchanged, but an idiot owner, or an inexperienced owner could have had a major problem.

thanks for your pit owner input. Having an animal with a high prey drive is a great choice for a family dog? =wtf?

lol. a dog runs up to your psycho pit and you think your psycho pit is justified and should should kill the dog? you seem proud as a pit owner your dog could another family's dog. you must be a proud union member I bet that donated to Biden? All unions donate millions to pedos like Biden

pits look cool? They all look like they need a bullet in the back of their heads

why do all pit owners look like child molesters?

thanks for reminding everyone on here what schitty dogs pits are and what losers there are that choose them. I've shot my share of vicious pits in the course of my work and wish I shot more after witnessing all of the faces they tore off of children and the senior citizens they multilated and ate
You’re a FN idiot. A unleashed dog of any breed has no business running up to a person or a leashed dog. I've had friends drive into my property and their dog jump out of their truck to play. By the time I got my Hotshot to get my dogs of his it was over. You shoot one of my dogs on my property I'm face shooting you instantly.

It’s confused old boomer idiots like you who shouldn’t own firearms or dogs. I wouldn’t let my bird dogs 500 miles from your coon ass Trailer park single wide. Lol

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
From my experience after owning bulldogs for 50+ years, it's always the owners fault. It's definitely easy to set a bulldog up to fail, but there's not any other breed of dog that will protect your property and loved one's against people or animals like a bulldog.
Agreed.

When professional burglars were surveyed in prison, they ranked dogs by how much they'd deter them in their decision whether to burglarize a particular house. The two top ranking dogs were Pitbulls and Doberman Pinschers. Many stated that they'd choose another house rather than burglarize one with either a Pitbull or Doberman in it.

Where do professional burglars get their degrees? Lol

The best protection is any dog breed that barks and brings attention. Burglars don’t analyze a home owners’ dog breed background before determining whether they rob a house. This is just silly lol

Why do insurance companies refuse to write policies for dangerous breeds??

Last edited by ribka; 03/31/24.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Just an aside, I was walking my 70 lb Old English Bulldog (image below) last year at night. As we approached the fenced in yard of two dogs (a full blooded male Pitbull in his prime weighing about 65 lbs, and his female German Shepherd buddy, also in her prime), I noticed that they were both loose. Someone had left their gate open.

These two dogs have been acting like they've been spoiling for a fight with my dog for years from behind their fence, and now they were loose, and both charging at me and my dog with all anger and fury.

My dog just looked at them square, body braced for a fight as they charged towards him, and when they got within a couple of yards, with a low roar he launched himself in their direction, like, "Okay, lets do this." I could barely hold onto the leash.

At seeing this, both of them practically fell over themselves to stop on a dime within feet of my dog, and ran back to their property as fast as their feet would carry them. grin

It tickles me every time I think of it.

[Linked Image]

You quite obviously have some physiological complex, maybe you were picked on when you were a tike. Who knows, you should seek help

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It’s been a long time ago, but I was considering a Staffordshire Terrier in the mid 70’s. These were much smaller dogs than the current overbred monstrosities, average weight was 30 to 35 pounds. The breeder has been in business for years, I was a little cautious and passed.. I didn’t hear much about them again until the crazy people took over the breed.

I wound up getting an English Bulldog from championship stock, he was very docile and loved being around people. I don’t think I ever saw him growl at another dog or person. He was a smart, for a bulldog smile

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JB in SC
It’s been a long time ago, but I was considering a Staffordshire Terrier in the mid 70’s. These were much smaller dogs than the current overbred monstrosities, average weight was 30 to 35 pounds. The breeder has been in business for years, I was a little cautious and passed.. I didn’t hear much about them again until the crazy people took over the breed.
You're talking about the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, as distinct from the American Staffordshire Terrier. You sort of combined the names together, there.

Awesome little dogs. I came very close to getting one, myself, back in the late 1980s. Went to many shows to see them, and to interact with them and their owners, looking into puppies, but never quite pulled the trigger on getting one. I bought a Doberman Pinscher pup instead. About the best dog I've ever had.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
You're talking about the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, as distinct from the American Staffordshire Terrier. You sort of combined the names together, there.

Awesome little dogs. I came very close to getting one, myself, back in the late 1980s. Went to many shows to see them, and to interact with them and their owners, looking into puppies, but never quite pulled the trigger on getting one. I bought a Doberman Pinscher pup instead. About the best dog I've ever had.

I bet a Staff. Bull puppy is insanely expensive these days.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
They were far from inexpensive back in the late 1980s, either.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't know why so many people like pitts. They're ugly damn things.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In many cases the dog is smarter than the owner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had 4 of the cacksucklers in my corrals this morning. Sadly, I was only fast enuff to swat 2 of them. One was a full pit, and 3 were mixes. I'm assuming a mom and 3 grown pups.The pit hauled ass as soon as I shot the first one, and the 4th made it into the weeds where I never saw them again. No neighbors within 3 miles, and none have pits. The meskins across the interstate might, but I've never seen any over there. Mighta been dumped here.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
They were far from inexpensive back in the late 1980s, either.

I've always wanted one of those. Might bite the bullet one day, but two dogs in the house is plenty at the moment. My daughter and my sister are both enamored with a local family's miniature Bull Terrier (Spuds McKenzie / Target dog). He's a cool little guy at 25-30lbs but I'd hate to know what they paid for him. Sister has been a vet tech for years and she says she's generally most leery of new German Shepherds that some in her clinic. They've been the most "bitey" dogs she's dealt with that have the power/size to do real harm. The little ankle-biters are still probably the most prone breeds to bite at all, but they are too small to do much.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

They were from an English breeder living in PA, IRRC. A really good English Bulldog was $400, the Staff was $500 at the time.They looked more like muscular terriers than the American. He was really picky about potential owners, fenced yards only with signed documents to not breed them unless approved by the breeder. I wasn’t very knowledgeable about the breed at the time, they are very handsome dogs.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
They were from an English breeder living in PA, IRRC. A really good English Bulldog was $400, the Staff was $500 at the time.They looked more like muscular terriers than the American. He was really picky about potential owners, fenced yards only with signed documents to not breed them unless approved by the breeder. I wasn’t very knowledgeable about the breed at the time, they are very handsome dogs.
I had precisely the same issues with the breeders who I wanted to buy a pup from. Exactly, even down to the agreement not to breed without their permission. I thought it was very strange, which might be why I never pulled the trigger on a purchase. Not that I had any intention of breeding, but they made it sound like I wasn't buying a dog so much as entering an agreement to care for one of their dogs.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am always amazed that folks who buy dogs bred to point and retrieve expect them to do so but deny that dogs bred to fight and kill will do so. IMO, they confuse dog loyalty with genetically programmed disposition.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 77 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.