W
WileyC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Back up for an Easter greeting.

Disregard the proclamation of Brandon, the current Oval Office interloper, with his sacrilege declaration of this day.

Forces of darkness can never overwhelm the forces of Light, although they do try.

DF

Yes Sir, DF! The Appointed One, whom I reference as 81M* is just a demonic placeholder.

Now, lets get this shotgun figured out!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wiley,

If the original owner/heir can't be identified, and after all these years, that is a real possibility. Then, what happens to this fine and rare old Ithaca?

How much time looking before it's declared unclaimed property? Not sure of the TN law on that.

I hope the original owner or their descendants can be identified. That would be a cool story. But, I'm being a realist, trying to not be a pessimist.

An old guy once told me, "a pessimist is an optimist with experience". Not sure I buy into that, but did get a chuckle out of it. And, he was serious....

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/01/24.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
How would a person go about proving this gun belonged to them at this point?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gregintenn
You'd have to trace it back to the original owner and if that person was deceased, then their succession would have to be the deciding law.

This is gonna be a real long shot.

It's amazing to me how the original crime report and info is no longer available.

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I assume that the person that bought the gun would retain ownership if the actual owner cannot be found. The way it worked in the pawnshop I worked at briefly was police would periodically run a check of all pawns checking for stolen property. If found the owner would be given the opportunity to buy their property back according to law. The pawnshop owner just let them have it back without penalty and absorb the loss but he brought charges against the thief if they could find him. Different states have different laws. I'd hate to see a fine firearm like that end up in a scrap yard cut up and sold for scrap by the police dept. Some departments auction off confiscated firearms and some don't. Some just scrap them.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gregintenn
You'd have to trace it back to the original owner and if that person was deceased, then their succession would have to be the deciding law.

This is gonna be a real long shot.

It's amazing to me how the original crime report and info is no longer available.

DF
That’s what I’m asking. Other than an original receipt of purchase which likely no longer exists, how would one go about it?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the British gangland movie involving stolen antique shotguns "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" with Jason Statham. Funny as hell.

W
WileyC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Wiley,

If the original owner/heir can't be identified, and after all these years, that is a real possibility. Then, what happens to this fine and rare old Ithaca?

How much time looking before it's declared unclaimed property? Not sure of the TN law on that.

I hope the original owner or their descendants can be identified. That would be a cool story. But, I'm being a realist, trying to not be a pessimist.

An old guy once told me, "a pessimist is an optimist with experience". Not sure I buy into that, but did get a chuckle out of it. And, he was serious....

DF
I don't know how all that would shake out. I assume that heirs of the original owner would be tracked down by the detective, since he seems really intent on following every lead he can get, and then see what TN law says.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I assume you gave him this link.

And like other posters here, I’m impressed with him and his persistence.

DF

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are still good people trying to do the right thing.

Even though I was only 1 year old, I do remember that I had a shotgun just like this that was stolen from my Tonka truck in 1972. I happened to get lost from my parents house in MI and somehow ended up in TN, where my beloved shotgun disappeared from theft.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RAS
There are still good people trying to do the right thing.

Even though I was only 1 year old, I do remember that I had a shotgun just like this that was stolen from my Tonka truck in 1972. I happened to get lost from my parents house in MI and somehow ended up in TN, where my beloved shotgun disappeared from theft.
Ha!

Good memory for such a young age. But you do recognize the gun. Good deal.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WileyC
Guys, I'm copying this from tndeer.com where I'm a member. It's a post from a police detective who is trying to find the owner of a rare and collectible shotgun that has been recovered several years after being reported stolen in Nashville. This site gets a huge amount of traffic and I wanted to share this here in hopes of it reaching somebody that knows where the shotgun belongs.....somebody wants this beautiful weapon back.......

"To who this may concern. Good Morning , My name is David Ogle AKA on TNDEER as Yotekiller011. I'm a Detective in Knoxville and have recovered a very rare 1933 Ithaca 28ga. Shotgun. This gun maybe 1 of 3 examples in existence according to the collector/broker that shipped it. Only 44 were ever made. I know that it was reported stolen in Nashville in 1972 but Nashville Metro Police said they don't have archives that old.
I know it's a long shot but if anyone knows of someone who was a Victim of the theft of this gun I'd really appreciate you having them call me. I'm a gun enthusiast just as many of you are and know if this belong to my family I'd want it back.
My goal is to get it back to its rightful owner or descendants."

Respectfully, Det. David Ogle, AKA Yotekiller011.
865 215-7032, or cell 865 254-6886

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My hat is off to you sir. Best of luck with your quest.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
WileyC: Seems "computers" never forget!
I hope the owner or their family can be contacted.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
WileyC: Seems "computers" never forget!
I hope the owner or their family can be contacted.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
That would be a great story.

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If they don't know who it was stolen from..... How do they know it's stolen ?

Hang on tight !
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by leemar28
Good question other than reported stolen in ‘72.

Details seem sketchy.

And that’s the problem.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Details seem sketchy.

And that’s the problem.

DF

Easy fathom, from a manual paper process to computer data base entry through many upgrades and main frame data storage transfers over the decades.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
Chances are really good that Metro Nashville does have the records but they are stashed away in a file cabinet somewhere. No one will take the time or go to the trouble to look them up. Truth be known there may not be anyone today who knows how. Sad story.
Rick

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Details seem sketchy.

And that’s the problem.

DF

I would imagine the serial number was put in the national system when it was stolen so it is still on record as stolen even though Tenn. Has lost their records.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Those lost TN records may be the missing key to unlock the mystery. Odds are against a resolution. But crazier things have happened.

DF

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (204guy, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,096
Posts18,502,011
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.