Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PM’d

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The bummer about hydraulic or PTO winches is the rig has to run. Sometimes that's why you need the winch.

I've used Warn and Ramsey. I see lots of Ramsey on towtrucks, but two of mine are older USA Warn that I've rebuilt due to wear.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigNate
The bummer about hydraulic or PTO winches is the rig has to run. Sometimes that's why you need the winch.

This.....

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Originally Posted by Irving_D
The badlands from harbor freight has been a beast of a winch without breaking the bank
This
They supposed be included in the next big sale on April 8th.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I don't buy Chinese anything if they're are other options but the Badlands Apex 12,000 winch has a good reputation for being dependable. My understanding of the early failures of the Badlands was with the original model before the Apex, which apparently they made some changes.

Note that Matts Offroad Recovery staff have those Badland Apex on their recovery vehicles and I am sure they use and abuse them more than most.

My son just put the Badlands Apex 12,000# on his TJ Jeep although he just got it for Christmas and has not tested it well yet.

All of that said, and like some others mentioned, if that Warn is the older 8000 (M8000) series I would just have the motor rewound or the gears replaced if available. Doing that would avoid a lot of work that changing winches/brands would entail.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
12K pound Warn has been on my rigs for well over 30 years. When I get a new one the winch comes off the old and goes onto the new. Still pulls good so I will continue to use it.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Had a SuperWinch on my F150’s for 20+ years

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My Power Wagon came with a 12-K , that’s how they’re made , plates underneath, 456 rear end, lockers and disconnect sway bars, all my ATV and UTV have winches, several times only way to get un stuck.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another good winch that is in direct competition performance wise with Warn is a Sherpa.
https://sherpa4x4.com/collections/winches

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I really didn't want to take the bumper off, so I came up with a solution of how to get the winch out w/o having to remove the bumper.

.I removed one bar light and cut a hole in the top of the bumper for a new trap door. I'll reinforce the bumper and weld tabs back on the piece I cut out so it can be bolted back together.
I lifted the winch out after unbolting the wires and took it apart. Motor fried. Need to do some welding, cleanup, regreasing the planetary gears, replace a bearing and the cable, and replace the motor for about $240. I can increase capacity with snatch blocks so I'll just run this one for now. It's all wired for it and I have four new solenoids on standby so I might as well just use it.

New trap door

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Planetaries need a good cleaning.

This 4.5 hp motor seems to have been used on more than one Warn winch model. That leads me to believe the gear sets are where you get the greater weight rating. I'm going to call and talk to Warn about that tomorrow. I want to upgrade anything I can.

LOL
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Is Consuela buying the parts, Brother Roy?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Good walk through and pics. I wonder if it would pay to install larger wires to the motor . Just like jumper cables, the big ones carry more juice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The difference between my Warn 12k Zeon and the next “smaller” model is the gearset. Same motor and housing.

Now with even more aplomb
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had winches all Warn on my trucks since 1980....they have got me out of some nasty messes plus a number of other people....never will owen a truck with out one....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Feral_American

This.....

One could always rig up an auxiliary hydraulic package but the expense vs. the times you'd need it probably wouldn't weigh out. But the one time you did need it....

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JPro
The difference between my Warn 12k Zeon and the next “smaller” model is the gearset. Same motor and housing.

That's what I'm seeing. Thanks for the verification.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rooster7

This.....

One could always rig up an auxiliary hydraulic package but the expense vs. the times you'd need it probably wouldn't weigh out. But the one time you did need it....

Check out this guys getup. He compares a bunch of winches and quantifies their performance. What I like is he talks fast and covers all the ground very quickly. Sorry I can't link it.

Youtube Best Winch? Is BADLAND Better Than WARN, Smittybuilt ...

LOL
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Rooster7

This.....

Check out this guys getup. He compares a bunch of winches and quantifies their performance. What I like is he talks fast and covers all the ground very quickly. Sorry I can't link it.

Youtube Best Winch? Is BADLAND Better Than WARN, Smittybuilt ...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m not familiar with the hydraulic winches. If life expectancy better? How about the draw on the battery vs an electric winch. Does a dedicated small pump draw less?

Seriously interested. And ballz, that’s a cool setup on your yota.

MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 15 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.