Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Time marches on.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

HONOLULU — The last living survivor of the USS Arizona battleship that exploded and sank during the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor has died. Lou Conter was 102.

The native of Wisconsin died at his home Monday in Grass Valley, California, following congestive heart failure, said his daughter, Louann Daley.

The Arizona lost 1,177 sailors and Marines in the 1941 attack that launched the United States into World War II. The battleship's dead account for nearly half of those killed in the surprise attack.

Conter was a quartermaster, standing on the main deck of the Arizona as Japanese planes flew overhead at 7:55 a.m. Dec. 7 that year. Sailors were just beginning to hoist colors, or raise the flag, when the assault began.

Conter recalled how one bomb penetrated steel decks 13 minutes into the battle and set off more than 1 million pounds of gunpowder stored below.

The explosion lifted the battleship 30 to 40 feet out of the water, he said during a 2008 oral history interview stored at the Library of Congress. Everything was on fire from the mainmast forward, he said.

"Guys were running out of the fire and trying to jump over the sides," Conter said. "Oil all over the sea was burning."

His autobiography, "The Lou Conter Story," recounts how he joined other survivors in tending to the injured, many of them blinded and badly burned. The sailors only abandoned ship when their senior surviving officer was sure they rescued all those still alive.

The rusting wreckage of the Arizona still lies in waters where it sank. More than 900 sailors and Marines remain entombed inside.

Conter went to flight school after Pearl Harbor, earning his wings to fly PBY patrol bombers, which the Navy used to look for submarines and bomb enemy targets. He flew 200 combat missions in the Pacific with a "Black Cats" squadron, which conducted dive bombing at night in planes painted black.

In 1943, he and his crew where shot down in waters near New Guinea and had to avoid a dozen sharks. A sailor expressed doubt they would survive, to which Conter replied, "baloney."

"Don't ever panic in any situation. Survive is the first thing you tell them. Don't panic or you're dead," he said. They were quiet and treaded water until another plane came hours later and dropped them a lifeboat.

In the late 1950s, he was made the Navy's first SERE officer — an acronym for survival, evasion, resistance and escape. He spent the next decade training Navy pilots and crew on how to survive if they're shot down in the jungle and captured as a prisoner of war. Some of his pupils used his lessons as POWs in Vietnam.

Conter retired in 1967 after 28 years in the Navy.

Conter was born in Ojibwa, Wisconsin, on Sept. 13, 1921. His family later moved to Colorado, where he walked five miles one way to school outside Denver. His house didn't have running water so he tried out for the football team — less for a love of the sport and more because the players could take showers at school after practice.

He enlisted in the Navy after he turned 18, getting $17 a month and a hammock for his bunk at boot camp.

In his later years, Conter became a fixture at annual remembrance ceremonies in Pearl Harbor that the Navy and the National Park Service jointly hosted on the anniversaries of the 1941 attack. When he lacked the strength to attend in person, he recorded video messages for those who gathered and he watched remotely from his home in California.

In 2019, when he was 98, he said he liked going to remember those who lost their lives.

"It's always good to come back and pay respect to them and give them the top honors that they deserve," he said.

Though many treated the shrinking group of Pearl Harbor survivors as heroes, Conter refused the label.

"The 2,403 men that died are the heroes. And we've got to honor them ahead of everybody else," Conter told The Associated Press in a 2022 interview at his California home. "And I've said that every time, and I think it should be stressed."

"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I graciously tip my hat to this gentleman for a life well lived.

Wow, what a ride.

RIP Mr. Conter.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The 'Greatest Generation'. There will never be another...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you can say that again

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
A wonderful tribute to an outstanding - yet humble - patriot. Thank you for sharing and for reminding us that even in the midst of all of the current insanity, we have much to be grateful for.
RIP for sure, and Godspeed.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We are a better nation because of men like Lou Conter

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Your welcome to post this in my thread in the general campfire thread. I do not possess the ability’s you have, but have the good intentions . That was a good read!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We will remember them

Johno

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great comments and tributes here as I also agree!

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
We are a better nation because of men like Lou Conter

Damn straight

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Read that yesterday and truly an impressive and historic story. He lived just up the road from where I am. As a side note, Jimmy Doolittle and Chuck Yeager also called Grass Valley home.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
From past information , all the battleships were wooden decks . It was the first of its kind because aeroplanes were used to drop bombs onto the top of heavily armored ships protected from torpedoes and attack up to the gunnals . It's always a source of amazement how excited children introduce their own brand of fiction into original stories to flower things up according to their own insecurity even when they are given all the correct information by a person that was there to tell the story acting as if it didn't really happen .

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As said, thank God for men/women like him of the truly "Greatest Generation"

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 56 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.