Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just ordered a suppressor for 30 cal and would like to buy a dedicated 308 to use it on.

Goal: short as possible hunting rifle for deer hunting from a blind

spec requirements:
1. available in 308 cal
2. 16-18" barrel, shorter preferred
3. no extended magazines
4. reasonably lightweight
5. <$1k
6. 5/8" threaded bbl preferred

rifles that I've considered - and why I dont want them
1. Ruger American Predator - is nearly perfect, but has a really loud safety that I wouldnt want to hunt with.
2. Ruger American Ranch - again..... nearly perfect but not available in 308cal, and safety a bit noisy
3. ruger Gunsite - heavier than needed, and the ghost ring/scout sights not what I need in a suppressed rifle. also a bit pricey
4. Savage - has guns very like the above rugers that dont meet my objectives - which is too bad, cause I'm a huge Savage fan.....
5. Howa Superlite- my "best option" thus far. meets all above specs and crazy light at 4# 3oz, has a 1/2x28 threaded pipe
6. I already have a stainless/laminate takedown BLR in 308 that I can get threaded for <$200, but it seems sinful to chop such a pretty rifle that's probably worth $1k as is.....

but I'm open to recommendations from the crowd. certainly the 'Fire is never short on opinions.....

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Buy whatever rifle you prefer, then have a smith shorten and thread the barrel. The threads may be 1/2x28 but that works fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just finished this one, DIY pre-fit. Barrel is 20" but that's the shortest I could get from Proof for a pre-fit, you can go shorter with a custom barrel, maybe 18". Your budget would be best suited by taking a rifle you already own and having a barrel fit to you specs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 257Bob; 04/02/24.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
That BLR threaded at 16” with a nice thread protector will be useful. Faster follow-ups than a bolt gun and no gas in the face and port pop like most semis. After that, the Gen 2 American Ranch 16” looks like a lot of bang for the $. I’m convincing myself not to buy a REM M7 threaded 16” 308 I’ve found, but….

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This looks like a very good deal to me! The last receiver I bought cost more than this complete rifle.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026375876?pid=456578

Last edited by 257Bob; 04/02/24.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
A tad more than a grand ,but the Suppressor ready browning xbolt is an option

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the noise level of the safety is the issue with the American, could you not use the bolt handle as the safety and leave it up? Might be quieter to slowly lower a bolt handle.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
5. Howa Superlite- my "best option" thus far. meets all above specs and crazy light at 4# 3oz, has a 1/2x28 threaded pipe.

but I'm open to recommendations from the crowd. certainly the 'Fire is never short on opinions.....

I have the Howa Superlite, and it is a rifle that'll probably need tweaking. I posted about it here, it is light but 4 lbs 10 oz bare rifle by my sampling of one. Here is where I posted about it, New Rifle!

Here is another thread I posted on about the rifle, Hoping it shoots as good as it carries....Howa S.L.

I like the rifle but I have about $300 more in it than it cost getting things tweaked by my GS. I got a new ejector and spring, the scope base milled off and recoated, and tweaking on the magazine and magazine well to get it to feed better. I'm not saying the issues I've been dealing with are typical, but I've had to deal with these.

I'd love to try the Christensen Arms Ridgeline Scout, Skane has one he'd probably tell you about it. If you want a dedicated rifle for suppressor use I think it would be a good one. I just don't worry much about dedicated suppressor use rifle, I just make most of mine accept my suppressor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Ruger safety noise is only a problem if you're a conehead that just flips it. Some downward pressure, and slowly working it, cure those ills. But some are easily stumped.....

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
The Ruger safety noise is only a problem if you're a conehead that just flips it. Some downward pressure, and slowly working it, cure those ills. But some are easily stumped.....

false.

I fiddled with it for about 20 minutes, doing exactly what you're recommending and it was still audible.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
This one is 300BO

But for 308Win go Encore, then buy bbls with threaded muzzles.....

They make 22 subsonic just stupid quiet....

Short as you like....

Light weight, as you like....

NO dreaded safety noise....

Under a grand$$

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Muffin; 04/02/24.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by taylorce1
5. Howa Superlite- my "best option" thus far. meets all above specs and crazy light at 4# 3oz, has a 1/2x28 threaded pipe.

I have the Howa Superlite, and it is a rifle that'll probably need tweaking. I posted about it here, it is light but 4 lbs 10 oz bare rifle by my sampling of one. Here is where I posted about it, New Rifle!

Here is another thread I posted on about the rifle, Hoping it shoots as good as it carries....Howa S.L.

I like the rifle but I have about $300 more in it than it cost getting things tweaked by my GS. I got a new ejector and spring, the scope base milled off and recoated, and tweaking on the magazine and magazine well to get it to feed better. I'm not saying the issues I've been dealing with are typical, but I've had to deal with these.

I'd love to try the Christensen Arms Ridgeline Scout, Skane has one he'd probably tell you about it. If you want a dedicated rifle for suppressor use I think it would be a good one. I just don't worry much about dedicated suppressor use rifle, I just make most of mine accept my suppressor.

thanks for your feedback, and for sharing your experience on the Howa SL. I hope it works out long run!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

false.

I fiddled with it for about 20 minutes, doing exactly what you're recommending and it was still audible.
Is safety noise an issue when hunting from a blind?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

false.

I can't imagine the safety noise is a issue for almost all hunting, unless you are stalking within 10-15 yards?

Last edited by duckster; 04/02/24.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by duckster
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

false.

I can't imagine the safety noise is a issue for almost all hunting, unless you are stalking within 10-15 yards?

most of the time, it wouldnt be a problem. it's just an issue I dont like, and frankly, not a problem on any of the other rifles I already have.

I had my son stand about 20 yards down the isle at Academy, and he could still hear it. I tried two different Ruger Predators and both safeties were obnoxiously loud, despite my efforts to keep it quiet.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a Savage Hog Hunter in 308 that I use for suppressed loads and full power. It puts 150 grain GameKings almost in the same hole. I highly recommend it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a Savage Hog Hunter in 308 that I use for suppressed loads and full power. It puts 150 grain GameKings almost in the same hole. I highly recommend it.

Savage Hog Hunter would be ideal, if the barrel was a bit shorter.

on the 308, it's 20" long.

great recommendation otherwise.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Model 7 16.5 threaded

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Are you incapable of getting a barrel cut and threaded?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Model 7 16.5 threaded

thanks. I'll look into that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,094
Posts18,483,019
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.