A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll join in with the MRI crowd. As someone said, demand one.

Fuggin sawbones and insurance companies can shove it up their wazoos when it comes to backs.

2010-2011 or so I did something at work and messed up my back. Along with the pain was the start of sciatica. PT didn't do much, THEN they allowed an MRI. "Oh, Mr Geno you have stenosis in your lower vertebrae and some slightly bulging discs. Your not at the point for shots or surgery yet, keep up the exercises, but you WILL be back"

FF to 2015, back getting worse. Reg doc says "have to send you to PT" which was problematic as I was leaving work in about 3 weeks and the soonest I get a PT appointment was a month. So I get to take the script to where my wife was living and where I stayed during the off season. Another 2-3 weeks before I could get a PT appointment, then 6 weeks, 2 sessions, $25 copay each time and no relief, other than being relieved of $300. PT guy says I'll send a report to you doc here.

report gets to doc, the call me in and send me to the x-ray folks. I go home. Get a phone call that afternoon, "can you come in tomorrow for an MRI"

Gee, do you think the back Doc back in 2011 might have known what the hell he was talking about when he said I would be back.

Fuggers, the lot of them. Had to go through the same scheidt with my shoulder. x-ray showed some "arthritis" so that's our diagnosis for now, take some pills and use ice. "We can't authorize and MRI if you don't have a specific injury incident" Yeah, right. So last winter as I was opening the chicken Gulag I heard my shoulder pop. In to the doc I go, MRI authorized, yep, torn rotator cuff. No scheidt I say, I told you that nearly two years ago.

Without doing an MRI it's like bringing the car to the mechanic and saying something under the floorboards is making noise and the mechanic says "Change the oil and air up the tires good" without putting the car up on the rack and taking a look.

Get an MRI and find out what's actually causing it. BEFORE going to chiropractors or PT or starting an exercise program or you may find yourself in worse shape.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Two friends who have sciatic pain swear by inversion tables.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
Holee molee this pain is real!!

Any tricks out there or will have I have to deplete my Quaalude inventory over this?
As was said, MRI is a must. Ive been through the worst pain in my entire life at the end of last year. They were treating me for a hip injury, due to unbearable pain that was coming from deep in my hip. I lost all feeling from the knee down on my right leg. I spent a month early on, not sleeping more than 2 hours a night. I never missed a day or work but couldnt even sit in a chair. I was taking 10 advils to get to work and home, under the direction of my doc. The pain was something I couldnt even imagine was possible. Im a very happy person and if that was life moving forward, I couldnt see living anymore it was so extreme. That said, they stuck me in PT for 3 months. It did eventually start to help, but when my issue was still bad, they finally ordered 2 mris. One for the hip and one for the back. Ended up having multiple disks bulged and the one that was causing all the issues, was the L5/S1 disc. Completely blown and had my sciatic nerve pinched against a bone. They want to do a fusion surgery, but I have currently declined. Once we figured out what was happening, we were able to start doing exercises that actually targeted the issue. Within a month, my feeling came back and my pain level is down to a 1-2 at worst. All that said, GET AN MRI!!

You’re gambling with your health. While you feel good now, that could change in an instant. Back injuries in the belt area can affect not only your back, but the strength in your legs and the function of things like your bladder and bowel. Your erections could go away.

You are really fortunate that your feeling is returning. When your nerves are severely pinched, they can die downstream of the pinch. When the pressure is removed, there is no guarantee that the nerve recovers even a bit, let alone a full recovery.

Unfortunately, I know a lot of this from personal experience. Coming up to 19 years since my disc blew out and caused cauda equina syndrome.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I ruptured a disc on Nov 19, 2022. Was in excruciating pain for three months as the docs made up their minds. Appointment in two weeks, then schedule tests in two weeks, then get the results in two weeks, then an MRI in...you guessed it. Finally got surgery on February 19, 2023. By that time, the sciatic nerve had been pinched for so long it had deteriorated. Doc says if it didn't regain function in a year it probably never would. It's been 13 months now. It hasn't.

Coupled with the fact that I also developed arthritis in both hips, I now walk like Walter Brennan in Rio Bravo and get exhausted doing anything at all. I can feel that nerve down my leg, but it's deadened, just a numb rope. Thankfully, the lightning bolts and the stabbing needles are gone but I get random screaming cramps in my calf and foot. T'ain't fun, McGee.

The only advice I can give you is to never ever go to a chiropractor. Nothing they can do will help, and can cause severe injury. See the best genuine spinal Doc in your area and trust him or her.

Yep. I can relate.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tdbob
Losing weight and walking helped me.

Mine wasn't as bad as some of what's been posted, but walking 3-5 miles a day and a lower inflammation diet really helped me out a lot when my back was all f'd up. Walking just fixed a knee issue I just had too.

Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
Wall sits for a minute, several times a day.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MRI MRI MRI! I know that's been beaten like a rented mule already but until you know what's really the matter you can't know the way to treat it. It could be from a myriad of cause, ranging from a simple nerve impingement that physical therapy could fix easily all the way up to spinal cancer.

I had the L5/S1 fusion surgery way back in 2009, I was in mortal agony. Recovery was bad, but it had to be done. I have heard that surgical techniques have improved a lot since those days. The steroid/lidocaine shots can help immensely with getting muscle spasms stops so you can get some rest, then physical therapy to keep pressure off of the nerves IF that is what's wrong. Osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, ankylosing spondylosis, degenerative disc disease, bone cancers, autoimmune conditions, extremely severe muscle spasms from overuse, just too many things can cause that kind of sciatic nerve pain. That's an area with big nerves and big muscles that's easily damaged.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Lost 50lbs, started walking 2 miles every day and quit going to the chiropractor all really helped me.
Chiropractor helped for the first 6 mos or so, then I missed a few appointments and was feeling better and realized it was doing more harm than good at that point.
Inversion table helps if I tweak it bad and wake up stuff as a board. I need to get in the habit of stretching every morning

Construction work for 35 years now, takes a physical toll.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

My knee replacement made an inversion table a no no. I used the table in the past to get temporary separation of L4 and L5, but that is out now.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have lived with Sciatic nerve pain for lots of years now. Several different Doctors, several MRI's. All say the same thing. One operation, Hydrocodone by the handfuls , they finally quit doing anything, a bunch of back shots from two different pain clinics. Quit all that, and hurt no worse than I did when spending most of my time at the Dr. Drink whiskey, which kinda knocks the edge from the pain, does not stop it, and lots of days,you feel like doing nothing. Such is my life. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

My knee replacement made an inversion table a no no. I used the table in the past to get temporary separation of L4 and L5, but that is out now.

I use a Yoga Body Yoga swing my kids bought me for Christmas. I love it. I do all sort of stretches and exercises with it. It holds you at the hips so knees shouldn't be an issue. It only costs around $100 too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I walk a half mile on my treadmill every morning. That's about all I can do but it does loosen up my back and hips a bit. If I don't, I'm a wreck.

I have kidney issues, so I can't take NSAIDs. Six Tylenols a day, with aspirin addition when it's especially bad. Started taking daily Turmeric capsules in the hopes of reducing inflammation. We'll see.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

I use a Yoga Body Yoga swing my kids bought me for Christmas. I love it. I do all sort of stretches and exercises with it. It holds you at the hips so knees shouldn't be an issue. It only costs around $100 too.

Thanks, I will check it out. Have missed the inversion table, but my knee replacement was so painful I dare not mess it up.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A huge issue is that the term Sciatica is often used as a general term to describe lower back pain. First you need to know exactly what is causing the pain. There are some videos on YouTube to help you diagnose and treat the exact cause.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RHClark
A huge issue is that the term Sciatica is often used as a general term to describe lower back pain. First you need to know exactly what is causing the pain. There are some videos on YouTube to help you diagnose and treat the exact cause.
That’s what the MRI is for.

Find the cause of the pain, then treat, DO NOT GUESS

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton
I have lived with Sciatic nerve pain for lots of years now. Several different Doctors, several MRI's. All say the same thing. One operation, Hydrocodone by the handfuls , they finally quit doing anything, a bunch of back shots from two different pain clinics. Quit all that, and hurt no worse than I did when spending most of my time at the Dr. Drink whiskey, which kinda knocks the edge from the pain, does not stop it, and lots of days,you feel like doing nothing. Such is my life. miles
Sometimes nerve damage is permanent. Some drugs such as gabapentin and duloxatine might possibly help if you haven't tried those already.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You also have to have a qualified professional read that MRI.

Many insurance adjusters masquerading as Doctors are either unqualified to read an MRI, or are just incompetent in general.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Over 35 years ago I ruptured L5-S1

20 years ago I ruptured L3-L4

Discectomy in 2005 helped immensely but never 100%

Ruptured another in 2019 and had unbelievable sciatica

Surgeon advised against surgery as the outcome was a toss up between better, the same, or worse

Took a different approach at that point after noticing that all the PT was related to strengthening the posterior chain. Started doing deadlifts along with other posterior chain strengthening exercises added to my routine

It cured me. Absolutely the best my back has been for 37 years.

Getting stronger is never the wrong answer

https://www.t-nation.com/training/bulletproof-your-lower-back/

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
Cortizone/steroids in a 7 day run or injection work wonders. Don’t hesitate to see an orthopedic doctor and pronto. You will be glad you did.
Good luck!
Rick

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1234, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 73 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,784
Posts18,495,971
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.