Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SupFoo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Major General Smedley Darlington Butler (July 30, 1881 – June 21, 1940), nicknamed the Maverick Marine, was a senior United States Marine Corps officer. During his 34-year career, he fought in the Philippine–American War, the Boxer Rebellion, the Mexican Revolution, World War I, and the Banana Wars. At the time of his death, Butler was the most decorated Marine in U.S. history. By the end of his career, Butler had received sixteen medals, including five for heroism; he is the only Marine to be awarded the Brevet Medal as well as two Medals of Honor, all for separate actions.

In 1933, he became involved in a controversy known as the Business Plot, when he told a congressional committee that a group of wealthy industrialists were planning a military coup to overthrow President Franklin D. Roosevelt, with Butler selected to lead a march of veterans to become dictator, similar to fascist regimes at that time. The individuals involved all denied the existence of a plot, which included the father of George H. W. Bush, Prescott Bush, and the media ridiculed the allegations, but a final report by a special House of Representatives Committee confirmed some of Butler's testimony.

Butler later became an outspoken critic of American wars and their consequences. In 1935, Butler wrote the book War Is a Racket, where he alleged imperialist motivations for U.S. foreign policy and wars (such as those in which he had been involved). After retiring from service, he became a popular advocate, speaking at meetings organized by veterans, pacifists, and church groups in the 1930s.

Wikipedia - More Here

Last edited by SupFoo; 04/02/24.

SupFoo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Major General Smedley Butler, USMC, 1933: Smedley Butler on Interventionism (fas.org):

“War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.

I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we’ll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

I wouldn’t go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

There isn’t a trick in the racketeering bag that the military gang is blind to. It has its “finger men” to point out enemies, its “muscle men” to destroy enemies, its “brain men” to plan war preparations, and a “Big Boss” Super-Nationalistic-Capitalism.

It may seem odd for me, a military man to adopt such a comparison. Truthfulness compels me to. I spent thirty- three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country’s most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle- man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.” …….

It hasn’t changed in a century

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fugk off parrot.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Excellent post !

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
SupFoo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I Double Dare anyone on Campfire to call General Butler a "Putin Puffer" and a liar.

Last edited by SupFoo; 04/02/24.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maj Gen Smedley…
Personal friends with Sgt Maj Dan Daly.

Two Marines enshrined in USMC folklore. Badasses.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Huntz
Excellent post !

This.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Good stuff, Foo.

Interesting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

RIP, general.

Fear the crabcat.
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ol’ Gimlet Eye

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SupFoo

Major General Smedley Darlington Butler (July 30, 1881 – June 21, 1940), nicknamed the Maverick Marine, was a senior United States Marine Corps officer. During his 34-year career, he fought in the Philippine–American War, the Boxer Rebellion, the Mexican Revolution, World War I, and the Banana Wars. At the time of his death, Butler was the most decorated Marine in U.S. history. By the end of his career, Butler had received sixteen medals, including five for heroism; he is the only Marine to be awarded the Brevet Medal as well as two Medals of Honor, all for separate actions.

In 1933, he became involved in a controversy known as the Business Plot, when he told a congressional committee that a group of wealthy industrialists were planning a military coup to overthrow President Franklin D. Roosevelt, with Butler selected to lead a march of veterans to become dictator, similar to fascist regimes at that time. The individuals involved all denied the existence of a plot, which included the father of George H. W. Bush, Prescott Bush, and the media ridiculed the allegations, but a final report by a special House of Representatives Committee confirmed some of Butler's testimony.

Butler later became an outspoken critic of American wars and their consequences. In 1935, Butler wrote the book War Is a Racket, where he alleged imperialist motivations for U.S. foreign policy and wars (such as those in which he had been involved). After retiring from service, he became a popular advocate, speaking at meetings organized by veterans, pacifists, and church groups in the 1930s.

Wikipedia - More Here

Looks like true patriot to me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Rolling over in his grave after what has become of our Military and America

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SupFoo
I Double Dare anyone on Campfire to call General Butler a "Putin Puffer" and a liar.

Gen. Butler was against going and fighting for Bankers.

He would have encouraged Ukraine to fight for their freedom from the Orcs and he would have scorned Putin for invading Ukraine.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
Maj Gen Smedley…

I went on Camp Smedley Butler many times while on Okinawa. It's funny to think of the name Smedley in this day and age but my jarhead buddies said he was revered.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
was stationed at Camp Butler for 9 months many moons ago.....

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Foo’s right you know. It is a racket.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Seen him bad mouthed on a few firearms forums due to War is a Racket.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
He didn't understand how FDR's communist takeover was worse than what the business interests had in mind. Ironically, he sold out America when he might have helped salvage some of its original principles.

Last edited by Crash_Pad; 04/02/24.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Maj Gen Smedley…

I went on Camp Smedley Butler many times while on Okinawa. It's funny to think of the name Smedley in this day and age but my jarhead buddies said he was revered.

He's one of those Marines who's story is drilled into your head at recruit training, just like Robin Olds and Billy Mitchell is in the Air Force.
Good times!

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Strop10
Seen him bad mouthed on a few firearms forums due to War is a Racket.
Please elaborate.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

687 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,198
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.