Hop To
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20
A
Alan_C Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Good point Hastings! I never thought of that. The earth could have been a flatter place way back. In my youth I lived in a small town named Ione. Driving down highway 88 , on both sides of the road were small hills. There was a line so to speak about 25 feet above the highway in the hills with lava rock exposed. It’s like a high water mark. Whenever I drive through the area, those thoughts go through my head on a theory that it’s a high water marking. The area I’m trying to recall is about 200 feet above sea level. While I do believe in science, we still have a lot to learn.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Where did the water go, the polar ice caps.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kenjs1
In short, yes.
Jim1611- there is a recent documentary I just watched explaining a theory that relates to what you say. Researchers explore the notion that what was thought to have taken hundreds of centuries to form makes more sense when viewed as sudden massive earth upheaval event. The deposition of fossils being one of them. They show what they claim as similar evidence around the globe. I enjoyed it and it certainly seemed worth thinking about while they discussed it. Others of course are likely quick to debunk it.

One thing experience, if not recent events, has taught me is that settled science, isn't.

Thanks for mentioning the documentary. I've watched receding flood waters and how they change things in a matter of days and see the power at work. There is a museum in Kansas City, Mo. that deals with a recovered paddle boat than sank in the Missouri river close to that city years back. It was found under about 20 feet of sand and at least 1/2 mile from the current channel. The river changed course on it's own in under 100 years. It doesn't take thousands of years for water to alter the landscape.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The ocean, that's why the ocean is much higher now than it was. That is why the Black Sea was once a freshwater lake and now is part of the ocean.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Have you considered the melting glaciers as being part of that water? I have.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No I don't believe it or any of the other fantasies in the bible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I believe the Bible to be accurate truth.
The absolute Word Of God.
My existence depends on it! 😀
Reon

I believe it started out that way. I also believe that over the many thousands of years since, mankind has perverted His word to fit man’s own agenda.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
There is evidence of a dramatic ocean level rise due to global warming way back when. It would have flooded ancient farming settlements and some people would have escaped the flood. Hence the story of Noah and his boat.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Genesis 6
The Story of Noah

9 This is the account of Noah and his family. Noah was a righteous man, the only blameless person living on earth at the time, and he walked in close fellowship with God. 10 Noah was the father of three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

11 Now God saw that the earth had become corrupt and was filled with violence. 12 God observed all this corruption in the world, for everyone on earth was corrupt. 13 So God said to Noah, “I have decided to destroy all living creatures, for they have filled the earth with violence. Yes, I will wipe them all out along with the earth!

14 “Build a large boat[c] from cypress wood[d] and waterproof it with tar, inside and out. Then construct decks and stalls throughout its interior. 15 Make the boat 450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high.[e] 16 Leave an 18-inch opening[f] below the roof all the way around the boat. Put the door on the side, and build three decks inside the boat—lower, middle, and upper.

17 “Look! I am about to cover the earth with a flood that will destroy every living thing that breathes. Everything on earth will die. 18 But I will confirm my covenant with you. So enter the boat—you and your wife and your sons and their wives. 19 Bring a pair of every kind of animal—a male and a female—into the boat with you to keep them alive during the flood. 20 Pairs of every kind of bird, and every kind of animal, and every kind of small animal that scurries along the ground, will come to you to be kept alive. 21 And be sure to take on board enough food for your family and for all the animals.”

22 So Noah did everything exactly as God had commanded him.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim1611
In short, yes.
Jim1611- there is a recent documentary I just watched explaining a theory that relates to what you say. Researchers explore the notion that what was thought to have taken hundreds of centuries to form makes more sense when viewed as sudden massive earth upheaval event. The deposition of fossils being one of them. They show what they claim as similar evidence around the globe. I enjoyed it and it certainly seemed worth thinking about while they discussed it. Others of course are likely quick to debunk it.

One thing experience, if not recent events, has taught me is that settled science, isn't.

Thanks for mentioning the documentary. I've watched receding flood waters and how they change things in a matter of days and see the power at work. There is a museum in Kansas City, Mo. that deals with a recovered paddle boat than sank in the Missouri river close to that city years back. It was found under about 20 feet of sand and at least 1/2 mile from the current channel. The river changed course on it's own in under 100 years. It doesn't take thousands of years for water to alter the landscape.

Look at what beavers can accomplish in a week.
When we first bought the property where we currently reside there were beavers present.
They could move the creek channel 50-100' in 7-10 days with ease it seemed.

FJB & FJT
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That being quoted exactly cannot be considered probable with our current level of understanding. Two of every kind of land creature won’t fit on the boat with food required. More likely if an “ark” were used it wasn’t a floating boat holding millions of life forms in current form. But an “ark” can be a suppository for genetic data allowing recreation in ways we are just beginning to understand. Yes God is real and is the Creationist in Charge. He may at times speak in ways we can understand that give us the creation records, but not necessarily the absolute logistics involved.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Noah’s Ark has always fascinated me. I’ve read conflicting stories on the subject. Would like to hear folks opinions and support that comes from the Bible . Let’s discuss this while being respectful to one another please!
There is literally no doubt that, interpreted literally, it never happened. Like much in Genesis, it is to be interpreted figuratively, e.g., God didn't literally form Adam with his hands from mud. That's a figurative way of stating that God set in motion events in precisely the way he knew that Adam would result.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

Mountains of NC. Explains it.

The way life should be.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Noah’s Ark has always fascinated me. I’ve read conflicting stories on the subject. Would like to hear folks opinions and support that comes from the Bible . Let’s discuss this while being respectful to one another please!
There is literally no doubt that, interpreted literally, it never happened. Like much in Genesis, it is to be interpreted figuratively, e.g., God didn't literally form Adam with his hands from mud. That's a figurative way of stating that God set in motion events in precisely the way he knew that Adam would result.

Look outside the Bible. Some sort of massive flood occurred in ancient times

No other reason for every culture referencing a flood. Unless it's God.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tskin
Yes I do. Jesus referred to the "days of Noah".
He also referred to a beggar named Lazarus who died, and a rich man who also died at the same time, and told a story about them. He wasn't actually talking about two literal people. Yet, if people were to ask him again about them, he'd refer to them again like they were real. It's the message that's real. The parable is the mode for conveying the message.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by pabucktail
It's true. Firstly because the word of God says so, and secondly because evidence of it abounds.
Jesus also said you must be born again. So, have you tried reentering you mom's womb and coming back out again? Why not? It's the word of God that you must.

The solution is that he was speaking figuratively.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Nope

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim1611
In short, yes.

Look at how the lower Mississippi River has moved around in Louisiana. It has been as far west as the Atchafalaya River and has flowed down what is now Bayou Lafourche. In the 1830s our Red River in north Louisiana cut a new channel to the east just above the historic town of Natchitoches and did not rejoin the main channel for over 30 miles.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gregintenn
In my mind, it doesn't seem plausible, but neither does a lot of things in the Bible. I do believe it happened, although I don't have the brain horsepower to explain it.

I surely wish he'd forgotten the yellow jackets.
And scabies, mosquitoes, gnats, etc..

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Yes, I believe. I also believe that there are many things, in the Bible as well as things in general, that are beyond our level of understanding. We are at once too quick to dismiss some things out of hand and too quick to accept "scientific" explanations for others.

As to the Ark, I grow very frustrated with those who endlessly repeat the "TWO of each species" when the Bible clearly states otherwise.
My brother's best friend growing up was a Jewish fellow. After high school, he entered training to become a rabbi, and was quite boastful with my brother about the depth of knowledge he had of the scriptures. My brother decided to play a trick on him and said, "Well, if you know so much about scripture, how many of each clean animal did Moses bring onto the ark." Boastfully, his friend proclaimed, "Three." My brother then told him that his knowledge of scripture was highly defective, as Moses didn't bring any animals onto the ark.

Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 22250rem, 12savage, 52 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,296
Posts18,505,329
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.