Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Are you incapable of getting a barrel cut and threaded?

not at all. there's a couple local firms that charge ~$125-$200 to do so.

I'm just a bit nervous about chopping down an otherwise beautiful stainless Browning BLR, but I'm warming up to the idea. I found a youtube video last night showing what one would look like, and it wasnt too ugly.

fact is I have a good bit of "store credit" at BPS/Cabelas that I was looking forward to burning on a new rifle if a perfectly configured one could be found.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I believe CVA and Bergara both have 18” models threaded under a grand.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here are more than a few you probably missed. I'm just killing time waiting to take the puppy on a walk. I know a few have a magazine you don't want, but with a 5 round mag they shouldn't hang too low. I didn't know your budget as well, so you got a bit of a mix. I like the Ruger Hawkeye Compact I posted if there is enough meat to thread 1/2-28. However, the M7 I posted is the easy button to what you want if it didn't have the DBM.

Bergara B14 Ridge 18"

Savage Impulse HH 18"

SAC Zermatt Origin build 18"

Browning X-Bolt SPR 18"

Savage 110 MagPul Hunter 18"

CVA Cascade .308 18"

Remington 783 FDE 16.5"

Remington Model 7 16"

Ruger Hawkeye Compact 16.5"

Sig Cross 16"

WC NULA .308 16.25"

Last edited by taylorce1; 04/03/24.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Seriously. Stop trying to find a factory rifle that will fit your specs, because it sounds like there’s not one out there that fits your specs. Buy a rifle with a longer barrel that fits your other specs and have it cut and threaded.

That way you’ll have exactly what you want, not “close enough”….except you really aren’t happy with it and it gnaws at you until you build exactly what you wanted to begin with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Seriously. Stop trying to find a factory rifle that will fit your specs, because it sounds like there’s not one out there that fits your specs. Buy a rifle with a longer barrel that fits your other specs and have it cut and threaded.

That way you’ll have exactly what you want, not “close enough”….except you really aren’t happy with it and it gnaws at you until you build exactly what you wanted to begin with.

Yep. If the factories don't make what you are looking for with the desired barrel length, just buy the standard rifle and chop/thread. I've done it several times. It's nice when you can buy the rifle ready to go, but sometimes it's easier just to make a few simple modifications and get what you are really after, rather than settling. Stock swapping, trigger swapping, and barrel chopping/threading are about like swapping wheels/tires/bumpers on a pickup. Make it what you want if the factory doesn't.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JPro
Stock swapping, trigger swapping, and barrel chopping/threading are about like swapping wheels/tires/bumpers on a pickup. Make it what you want if the factory doesn't.
Great analogy!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Look at the Tikka T3x Hunter Ranch Rifle: https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x...-x24-Bbl-Matte-Hunter-Stock-Blued-3.aspx

It's just under $1k as is. Selling the wood stock for a couple of hundred bucks and replacing it with a $50 polymer one would give you the money for a rail and rings.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 04/03/24.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Are you incapable of getting a barrel cut and threaded?

not at all. there's a couple local firms that charge ~$125-$200 to do so.

I'm just a bit nervous about chopping down an otherwise beautiful stainless Browning BLR, but I'm warming up to the idea. I found a youtube video last night showing what one would look like, and it wasnt too ugly.

fact is I have a good bit of "store credit" at BPS/Cabelas that I was looking forward to burning on a new rifle if a perfectly configured one could be found.

If you like the Browning, chop and thread it. It's not a "collectors item", they pump out new ones every day. If you want to burn your Cabelas credit, talk to the guys at the gun counter. They will order you what you want, it doesn't have to be a stock item. FWIW, I've hunted 16" Ruger Americans out of blinds and the safety noise is a non-issue with deer in close proximity. Just like most any safety, they're as noisy as you let them.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Here are more than a few you probably missed. I'm just killing time waiting to take the puppy on a walk. I know a few have a magazine you don't want, but with a 5 round mag they shouldn't hang too low. I didn't know your budget as well, so you got a bit of a mix. I like the Ruger Hawkeye Compact I posted if there is enough meat to thread 1/2-28. However, the M7 I posted is the easy button to what you want if it didn't have the DBM.

Bergara B14 Ridge 18"

Savage Impulse HH 18"

Browning X-Bolt SPR 18"

CVA Cascade .308 18"

Remington 783 FDE 16.5"

Remington Model 7 16"

Sig Cross 16"

WC NULA .308 16.25"

Look no further: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1044160886

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tikka 20" CTR in a reg Tikka stock. Comes with 20" barrel 5/8-24 threads already, just cut to whatever length you want.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Look no further: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1044160886 [/url]

That was my favorite as well, and on my watch list. I imagine it'll go higher than I want to pay right now. Custom action and Bartline barrel, throw a TT and Greyboe stock and go hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
Tikka 20" CTR in a reg Tikka stock. Comes with 20" barrel 5/8-24 threads already, just cut to whatever length you want.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Good option right there.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
“Short as possible “ is going to a 16” barrel no matter what rifle you choose.
Suppressor length would also play a part in my decision and opinion.
I have cans as short as 6.5” and long as 9”. Not sure what can you bought.
That 2.5” can make a difference in a box or tent blind.
As already mentioned, my opinion mirrors many. Buy the rifle you like and chop/thread.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have a Kimber Montana 308 that I only shoot suppressed.

I had the barrel cut to 18”, bedded the action and installed a trigger tech trigger. I use warne mountain tech steel bases with warne mountain tech 1” rings to mount my trijicon accupoint 3-9.

It shoots extremely well with 165g accubonds and the 150g ttsx. I’ve used it on a lot of blacktail deer, caribou and a Roosevelt elk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take a look at the Browning X-Bolt Speed SPR. I handled one the other day and it’s really nice. It has an 18” barrel.

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Bergara B14 Ridge 18"

Savage Impulse HH 18"

Browning X-Bolt SPR 18"

CVA Cascade .308 18"

Remington 783 FDE 16.5"

Remington Model 7 16"

Sig Cross 16"

WC NULA .308 16.25"

man.... tons of really neat options. thanks, as I was unaware of several of these options.

that Tikka from Europtic sounded like a great option too, as does the idea of a chopped Kimber MT mentioned later.

thanks for all the feedback, all.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Browning blr's aren't beautiful. They are a tool, it's up to you whether that tool is useful and/or it's your needs.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Since a quiet safety keeps coming up. Of the rifles I've played with, Weatherby Mark V's and Tikka T3x come to mind. For under (right at 1K) I'd get a T3x.

Remington and Winchester type safeties have all been some varying noise emitter in my experience.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Cva cascade 18" threaded barrel, very nice gun, has a cerakoted bergara barrel, shoots very well for around $700

Last edited by Browning308; 04/04/24.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That Tikka ranch rifle is ready to go at 16.1" on barrel length.
Look no further

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,808
Posts18,477,556
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.