Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
So, here is a picture(bad one)of two pieces of 308 win brass. Both are twice fired Federal with a very mild load(42.5 Varget, WLR primer, 155 Lapua Scenar). I'm getting these "pin hole" blow outs at the edge of the primers. Primer pockets are good and snug. Is this from bad brass, or a bad batch of primers? Thanks!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How old are those primers? Winchester had an issue with WLR's a few years ago, they will replace or refund on them (at least they did back then).

P.S. Bet you have a pitted bolt face too.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Definitely bad primers. I think there is a list of the bad Winchester primers serial numbers posted on the internet.
It’s too bad, but I don’t buy any Winchester components anymore. The brass is pretty much crap too.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had the same thing years back with Winchester LR primers, I called Winchester and they send me the Fed Ex label and told me to send them all unused primers and any unfired ammo, I sent them about 1200 primers and some ammo and they sent me 5000 new primers. They also had me ship my rifle to Ruger where Ruger replaced a bolt that had craters on the bolt face due to faulty primers, Winchester covered the cost as well.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
What is the lot number?

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Primers. Identical problem in a couple of rifles. A bunch of lot numbers are involved. There have been lists of problem lots by guys here.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
How old are those primers? Winchester had an issue with WLR's a few years ago, they will replace or refund on them (at least they did back then).

They are a few years old. Was trying to use some older stuff up. Man, I've never had this happen before!

Yes, my bolt face is now pitted in 4 spots. Barely used Kimber Mountain Ascent. Dammit!

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Mike_S
What is the lot number?

CNL589G

Standard Large Rifle primers

Last edited by longshot3; 04/04/24.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by longshot3
Originally Posted by Mike_S
What is the lot number?

CNL589G

Standard Large Rifle primers
Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

They are a few years old. Was trying to use some older stuff up. Man, I've never had this happen before!

Yes, my bolt face is now pitted in 4 spots. Barely used Kimber Mountain Ascent. Dammit!

The pitting is cosmetic but can be repaired. I had the same thing happen with Federal primers.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

The pitting is cosmetic but can be repaired. I had the same thing happen with Federal primers.
How can pitting be repaired?

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I called Olin and left a message with the person they said I needed to talk to about this. We'll see...

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Question: is a couple tiny pits on a breech face truly a bad thing? I've owned a few old rifles over the years that had some pitting, on one in particular the pitting was pretty egregious. I ignored it, the guns shot fine, and I couldn't see a thing wrong with brass, extraction, etc. Am I overlooking something?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
It's purely cosmetic, but on a like new Kimber Mountain Ascent. And,,I now have 3k large rifle primers that are potentially faulty. With large rifle primers being expensive and hard to find, I'd like them replaced. I can live with the bolt face, just bummed that it happened.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So, here is a picture(bad one)of two pieces of 308 win brass. Both are twice fired Federal with a very mild load(42.5 Varget, WLR primer, 155 Lapua Scenar). I'm getting these "pin hole" blow outs at the edge of the primers. Primer pockets are good and snug. Is this from bad brass, or a bad batch of primers? Thanks!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You were hiding under a rock weren't you? This is old news. Very old news. That sucks about your rifle. I'm not sure Winchester will fix it now, since the issue with those primers was about 5-10 years ago. I have a buddy that used those primers around 2016 or so, and it really etched his bolt face. He still uses the rifle as is. Still makes me leery about using WLR primers. Hopefully Winchester still honors the primer replacement, and maybe even fix your bolt face..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by duke61

Ask Winchester, they were liable a while back, when their bad primers etched a lot of guys' bolt faces..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Ask Winchester, they were liable a while back, when their bad primers etched a lot of guys' bolt faces..

Will do!

Not under a rock😂! I've always had a great stash of CCI and Federal. I haven't bought a primer in 3 years(like a lot of folks). But I did have a few bricks of WLR for back up, and broke into them last month. This is the first time in 28 years of reloading that I've used Winchester.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Tig weld and re-face the bolt face to factory dimensions is how the bolt face could be repaired.. .

Last edited by longshot3; 04/04/24.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had the same blow out, twice, but it was with the FC brass in 270Win. For me it was the brass that caused the problem. Rifle is a Rem 700. Face is etched but still using with no problems. I quit using that lot of FC brass and haven't been a fan of it since. Years ago, FC was good brass.

Last edited by railman58; 04/04/24.

It doesn't matter how fast you miss.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.