Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dillonbuck: The VarmintWife and I just returned from an 8 day auto Safari through 6 western states and LITERALLY every person we ran across/dealt with/asked about accommodations etc had their hand out and MANY of these folks had NO qualms about directly asking to be tipped!
One server at a high end hotels restaurant was so blatant "I" stiffed him (no gratuity at all!)!
Especially egregious were the American Indian folks we dealt with.
Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth but we saw so many wonderful sights that it kind of made up for this new phenomenon.
In the common tipping circumstance (restaurant waiters) I tip 10% if service is pleasant and timely.
More on rare occasions.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Dillonbuck: The VarmintWife and I just returned from an 8 day auto Safari through 6 western states and LITERALLY every person we ran across/dealt with/asked about accommodations etc had their hand out and MANY of these folks had NO qualms about directly asking to be tipped!
One server at a high end hotels restaurant was so blatant "I" stiffed him (no gratuity at all!)!
Especially egregious were the American Indian folks we dealt with.
Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth but we saw so many wonderful sights that it kind of made up for this new phenomenon.
In the common tipping circumstance (restaurant waiters) I tip 10% if service is pleasant and timely.
More on rare occasions.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
That's good info VG. My wife and I are going to be in your area this year visiting YNP and the Tetons. Nothing closes my wallet faster than what you described. I'm a generous tipper....if the service is great but I'm really starting to get pissed off with the attitudes and pisspoor service.

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
The thing that turns me off is when an owner/ server expects a tip.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought this was going to be about cows....

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Got an eye opener last month at a local restaurant i take customers too. Go there 6-7 times a month and honestly never paid attention as it is the company card. Usually take 4-5 guys Yada yada. Last month i had 6 of us and once again i hardly pay attention to the main bill just the credit card signature and tip page. I add the 20%(she a great waitress always knows what i drink both a water and a bourbon or beer lol) and damn it seemed high. Got to looking at the order receipt and they AUTOMATICALLY add 18% gratuity to any party 6 and over. I asked her and she said that the owner started that a month ago. I’m like wow. Not her fault at all and depends on what i get if i have 6 people for her I usually add the extra. Not the rest of the clowns. But now i find im looking at every receipt form every restaurant to make sure on the extra tip crap. Damn subway for a lunch eat sandwich has the tip 18% 20% 22 % on the check out. I click 0 % for a sandwich i have to carry to the table myself, get my own drink, and throw my mess away.
Owners can screw their employees this way. Ran into the same thing in Dallas a while back. One gets a bit ticked at first, and we almost just left it at the percentage instead of adding extra. IE 18% but we were going to tip around 30%...

OTOH some have no clue that some places its how it goes. I'm good with a simple sign that says our folks do the best they can, gratuities are greatly appreciated. Easy enough.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ipopum
The thing that turns me off is when an owner/ server expects a tip.
I've heard this before too. Although the owner/guide I work for works his tail off as much and more than other guides. I dont' see why he shouldn't receive the same tip. I understand he has the chance to make more than the workers, but right now due to circumstances he is making less than he pays the guides. Hopefully nature will turn that around at some point.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Around here, and I suppose elsewhere, the order-at-the-counter-and-they'll-bring-it-to-you restaurants are asking for tips via their checkout before you even get any service. What's the likelihood you'll get good service if you say no to that, even though you'd be willing to tip afterwards?

Last edited by bpas105; 04/04/24. Reason: typo
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Only place to tip in our little town is the local Mexican restaurant. With real Mexicans running the place and wait staff. Good food. Good service. And I always leave a decent tip. Maybe they remember from visit to visit... wink

Apart from a monetary tip, another thing that is always appreciated is being "good customer"...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Arron charged me $1,590+/- to make 20k+/- BF of WP lumber...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ZeixY9jDZ6m33sC8

I gave him $1,800 cash... he was trying to figure out why... nobody had ever tipped him before...

IF I NEED HIM BACK FOR ANOTHER JOB... I AM CERTAIN HE WILL GLADLY COME BACK.

Sometimes tipping is just a smart practical business decision.

I’ve done the same for work done right on time.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Charter fishing boats, I understand the deck hand often gets no wage, just tips.

The boat captain gets paid for use of the boat.

I tip the deck hand the same as I can earn in a day, the captain half of that, when I have the whole boat booked.

Waitresses in sit down restaurants are paid at a rate that requires tips to make a wage. The IRS assumes they get tips and bills them accordingly.

If you can not afford to tip the waitress, you can't afford to eat at the restaurant. Get back in the car and go to MCDonalds.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Let's start with I believe a tip is a gift for service above expectations.
Or should be. (Let's avoid the wages......)

Forget about waitstaff and a few service workers traditionally rewarded for good work.

It gotten completely out of hand, with everyone having their hand out.

I ordered from Traverse Creek today, $30 worth of parts, 5 or 6 dollars to ship it USPS.
Working through the order process, I WAS GIVEN THE OPTION TO TIP!
For an online saw parts order!
It was even broken down, %5, 10%, 15%, 20%. Just click on which one you didn't want anymore.

Two day delivery, bet mine doesn't get shipped for two weeks now.

I'd find a new place to order saw parts and let them know why.

Been thinking about just that.
Figured I’d cool my jets and let this play out.

Wondered how fast my order would process without a tip? Sent it early yesterday, got an email at lunch time today telling me a label was created, but not picked up. As of now 3pm, it hasn’t shipped.

They sat on it for more than a day before they created a label… too late to ship today?

I could have had it Saturday did the muffler and tried it out. Now I won’t.

Instead of telling them to pound sand as someone who wasn’t a customer, I’ll be able to tell them I’m done as a customer.

Soliciting tips, poor service….

Punishing customers for not tipping?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
If you can not afford to tip the waitress, you can't afford to eat at the restaurant. Get back in the car and go to MCDonalds.

Stands to reason that anyone who has made 25,714 posts will say something stupid and you did not disappoint.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Marley7x57

Stands to reason that anyone who has made 25,714 posts will say something stupid and you did not disappoint.

Seems you took the post personally! Good!

I hope your daughters and grand daughters have to support themself waiting tables someday. It is good honest work.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Marley7x57

Seems you took the post personally! Good!

I hope your daughters and grand daughters have to support themself waiting tables someday. It is good honest work.

Tips are earned, not required and if someone gets a tip has rarely has f-all to do with if the patron is a brokedick or not.

Me

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Possibly not. Yet broke-dicks often use their broke-dickedness as justification for "stiffing" waitresses and others in the service industries.

It is commonly heard, "If they don't like working for seven $/hr, they should find a different job."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Possibly not. Yet broke-dicks often use their broke-dickedness as justification for "stiffing" waitresses and others in the service industries.

It is commonly heard, "If they don't like working for seven $/hr, they should find a different job."

Again - the belief that a waitress who doesn't like working for X should find something else - zero connection to being a brokedick.

Me

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Not to say at all, that a crappy, negligent, sour puss waitress deserves any tip at all. Nor does she deserve a tip just because she hangs most of a set of DDs out in your face. Though the latter does seem to make a big difference.

It is not by accident that waitresses refer to big titties as "the money makers."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The pay for full-service sit-down wait staff is, or used to be anyway, based on the expectation that tips will augment it significantly. That should improve the service and help keep the prices down. Policies vary among establishments, some requiring tips be shared among the servers and bus people. I tip 20% to start, only dropping to 15% for somewhat sloppy service. I’ll go higher for really good service. Carry-out staff may or may not get tips, usually that’s a jar shared among all those folks. Pretty girls get more, surprise surprise. Such is life….

Fast food people don’t get tips, and around here they make pretty good hourly wages for entry-level work.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Teal

Again - the belief that a waitress who doesn't like working for X should find something else - zero connection to being a brokedick.

Again, just justification.

And not all penny pinching cheapskate asswholes are actually broke-dick. Many wealthy people brag they got that way, by not frivolously tossing money around. Another justification.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The pay for full-service sit-down wait staff is, or used to be anyway, based on the expectation that tips will augment it significantly. That should improve the service and help keep the prices down. Policies vary among establishments, some requiring tips be shared among the servers and bus people. I tip 20% to start, only dropping to 15% for somewhat sloppy service. I’ll go higher for really good service. Carry-out staff may or may not get tips, usually that’s a jar shared among all those folks. Pretty girls get more, surprise surprise. Such is life….

Fast food people don’t get tips, and around here they make pretty good hourly wages for entry-level work.

Well Said!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 63 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.