S
anyone make small primer pocket 243 brass

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
https://www.petersoncartridge.com/m...gs/243-winchester-brass-cartridge-cases/

Peterson Brass makes it with small or large primer pockets....

Said Graf & Sons Offers it.

I think I am going to order some and try it out myself.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
https://www.petersoncartridge.com/m...gs/243-winchester-brass-cartridge-cases/

Peterson Brass makes it with small or large primer pockets....

Said Graf & Sons Offers it.

I think I am going to order some and try it out myself.

seen that but its listed on the perterson page temporary discontinued, didn't know if anyone else offered it

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
2 minutes ago Grafs had it in stock, the buy button on Petersons takes you right to it.

Swifty
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Swifty52
2 minutes ago Grafs had it in stock, the buy button on Petersons takes you right to it.

takes you to the peterson 243 brass with large rifle primers pocket not the 243brass with small primer pockets

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
don't you have to bush your bolt and change firing pins? I do in my AR10 6.5 creed to use SRP brass

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by steveredd1
Originally Posted by Swifty52

takes you to the peterson 243 brass with large rifle primers pocket not the 243brass with small primer pockets

My bad, misread.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
don't you have to bush your bolt and change firing pins? I do in my AR10 6.5 creed to use SRP brass
I don’t think so in a bolt gun. I never had an issue firing SRP brass in. 6.5 CM and then firing LRP brass in the same range session.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Neck down small primer 308 cases.....

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Feral_American

i gave that a thought, neck thickness isn't a issue as winchester 243 brass is .012, winchester 308 brass is .014. plus i could aways turn them, the length is where im at 243 brass 2.40, 308 brass is 2.17. I used a 3 die step to neck down, 708, 260, 243

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Without looking, thought I saw that they also had 260 and 7/08 brass with small primer pockets.

Definitely have some CreedMore brass with small primer pockets.... Would a sizing die make a CreedMore dimensionally usable? Never tried it, so that is why I ask....maybe someone else has.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

i gave that a thought, neck thickness isn't a issue as winchester 243 brass is .012, winchester 308 brass is .014. plus i could aways turn them, the length is where im at 243 brass 2.40, 308 brass is 2.17. I used a 3 die step to neck down, 708, 260, 243

The length will grow enough to trim.

All my 243 (a few hundred) and 260 brass ( a couple hundred) have Lapua 308 headstamps. I use the same dies in steps, and anneal between steps. I do it to gain a neck thickness that is both concentric, and something I want not something I have to settle for. If I needed/wanted small primer brass I'd not hesitate a second to do it that way.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is the advantage(s) of small pocket brass in .243?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

The small primer is used mostly for target shooting. It has just enough primer compound to reliably ignite the powder charge which might produce more consistent results on targets.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Without looking, thought I saw that they also had 260 and 7/08 brass with small primer pockets.

Definitely have some CreedMore brass with small primer pockets.... Would a sizing die make a CreedMore dimensionally usable? Never tried it, so that is why I ask....maybe someone else has.

picked up a box of Peterson 260 rem SRP brass tonight, very nice looking brass, think the 260 brass is a better fit than necking down 308 brass, they will need fire formed

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

If you can't find large primers but have lots of small primers, I'd see an advantage in that.....

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
my overall review on Peterson brass after getting ready to load, its just as or better than Lapua, 1 grain + or - on weight, primer pockets uniformed and flash holes centered, checked neck thickness with ball mic after 5 i stopped, they come in gray shell box with styrofoam to keep the brass fron deforming,

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would just neck down Lapua .308 small primer brass. I had initial trepidation but I found that neck turning and neck reaming is not all that hard. My first experiment was harder than this one .. I made some .257 Roberts cases out of .270 Winchester which meant I was working not just with the necks but having to thin brass for the new necks that had been part of the heavier case sidewalls. No issues. This is a thing you've only got to do once per case, you don't have to re-turn the necks, etc every reloading. So certainly correctly headstamped brass is easiest .. but this is not hard.

And so far as why .. primers. I've managed some large rifle primers lately but before that, Federal 205 GM AR match primers and Remington 7-1/2s, nominally match primers, were fairly easy to get.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

picked up a box of Peterson 260 rem SRP brass tonight, very nice looking brass, think the 260 brass is a better fit than necking down 308 brass, they will need fire formed

Having experimented with trying to neck down 30 cal brass to 6mm, I'd go that route with no hesitation. With 30 cal you'd have to trim the neck thickness. I end up with a lot of 308 brass I pick up at the range ( NOT when democRATS are in office tho, price goes up and people don't get rid of it or just let it lay.. ), Its fine to neck 308 down to 7/08 or 260.. to 6mm starts to get to be a stretch, without more attention.

I'll have to relook at the Peterson web site. I would like to try some 243 with a small rifle primer pocket. If they have it in 260, then I'd be good to go. First time in a decade or two, I've had to BUY store brass. MY needs have been covered with all of the once fired brass left on the ground at our local range. Its the one good thing about being so close to California..
They come up here and look at their used brass being trash, so they leave it laying where it falls. For some reason, they think their daily range use fee, ( not being members ) includes ROOM SERVICE. At the same time, I can't keep track on how many times I've heard the comments of " Who CARES, Its Oregon!"

Appreciate the free brass..... Their negative comments about Oregon, they can go back to where they friggin Came FROM!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Having experimented with trying to neck down 30 cal brass to 6mm, I'd go that route with no hesitation. With 30 cal you'd have to trim the neck thickness. I end up with a lot of 308 brass I pick up at the range ( NOT when democRATS are in office tho, price goes up and people don't get rid of it or just let it lay.. ), Its fine to neck 308 down to 7/08 or 260.. to 6mm starts to get to be a stretch, without more attention.

I'll have to relook at the Peterson web site. I would like to try some 243 with a small rifle primer pocket. If they have it in 260, then I'd be good to go. First time in a decade or two, I've had to BUY store brass. MY needs have been covered with all of the once fired brass left on the ground at our local range. Its the one good thing about being so close to California..
They come up here and look at their used brass being trash, so they leave it laying where it falls. For some reason, they think their daily range use fee, ( not being members ) includes ROOM SERVICE. At the same time, I can't keep track on how many times I've heard the comments of " Who CARES, Its Oregon!"

Appreciate the free brass..... Their negative comments about Oregon, they can go back to where they friggin Came FROM!

im using peterson SRP 260 brass, they need to be fire form to dimension, loaed all 100 up with sierra 85gr hpbt gameking, screwed a old 243 barrel on and will sit out on my deck and fireform brass shooting at whatever. one other thing peterson 260 brass sized to 243, the OAL is 2.035, as a 308 case resized to 243 is 2.018

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 1minute, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.