Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cbennett
Fire Retardant clothing on here, but I have (8) of the FN Baco M 70's, several New Haven M 70's and a Pre 64 Model 70. I have had 50% luck with the Ernie's springs, some went to 3 pounds or less, some would not go below 4 pounds.
On a whim I ordered a Timney for my Super Grade in French Walnut, it will not be my last. Remove and replace trigger, great crisp 2.5 pound pull.
like i said, those springs vary in pull weight!... but most of the problem is the rough contact surfaces in the MOA trigger... careful smoothing & polishing of the contact surfaces(including the ends of the sear return spring & the sear surface it rides on) will greatly reduce pull weight & improve consistency... "Ten+ BACO's" aka bsa, say's all of his Ernie's springs pull @ 2 1/2 lb or better and are consistent Too!, also says there's no pulling the trigger apart and "fine tuning", not going to happen!... LMFAO!, glad i didn't know that before i fixed my 3 MOA's... PS: i also considered the Timney trigger, but i don't like the straight trigger piece shoe on those, much prefer the curved one on the factory trigger... that's when i got down to business and figured out how to improve the MOA...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by duke61
Mcarbo has a spring for $20ish - Get this one if you have older Win 70 open trigger, works great
M-CARBO also has a 2 spring kit for the MOA (box) trigger which also includes a sear return spring... i find them lighter & more consistent on average than the Erniethegunsmith spring based on the 3 of each i've bought...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fit and finish of the trigger internals are the biggest player. That's why sometimes springs give varying results...they can only do so much against the sear angles and engagement surface finish.

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
The fit and finish of the trigger internals are the biggest player. That's why sometimes springs give varying results...they can only do so much against the sear angles and engagement surface finish.
Yep!... Thank's for chiming in Sir... it's all about the friction!...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some open stock spring from McMaster Carr that works well. There's a corelation between firing spring pressure to the lower limit of trigger sear pull weight, too.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wolff springs had a big pack of small springs for the same cost as a mcarbo. Take the factory spring out, find one lighter but similar diameter, cut to length and reinstall. 2# no problem. These triggers are quite good once lightened. Order a stronger striker spring from wolf while you’re at it. Another nice improvement.

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
AU7mm08,
I agree that the MOA trigger is garbage. I tried installing an aftermarket spring and didn’t have any improvement that was satisfactory. Then ordered the Timney and the ergonomics are not the same as the Winchester trigger. Not satisfied.

Another option that I have considered is JARD trigger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put an Ernie spring in my MOA trigger with no noticeable improvement - maybe 1/2 lb reduction. Can't get a nice, crisp break. Tried the Timmy and, as others have noted, the trigger shoe sucks, especially on a hunting rifle.

Question for the spring-snipping experts. Every spring I've seen has a full turn and the ends. This would seem to provide better contract with the surfaces it sets and pushes against. Now when you start clipping on them, don't you end up with a needle point that now bears against these same surfaces. This just doesn't seem good to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Snipping a spring to length hasn’t given me problems.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,107
Posts18,502,243
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.