Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
Spruce Pine is right down the road from us, and we use the Wal Mart shown in the video.

Makes me wonder what they are teaching in the academy these days?

I am unsure why EMS didn't respond; I wonder if dispatch didn't notify EMS and why the officer on scene didn't request EMS?

Well, the victim will get a payday out of this.

As a Type II diabetic, I guess we'll need to start going to the Wal Mart in Elizabethton or Johnson City, TN so in the event my sugar drops I don't end up arrested or worse.

StarchedCover

Their Teaching them the Minneapolis Approach..

Never take a Knee

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
A routine call for the EMS. I worked hundreds of "Low blood sugar" calls when I was a paramedic. These cops are some dumb asses.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
In the tasered epilitic in the UK case I referred to, the person was having a fit / seizure in the sports centre reception or entrance to changing area.

Sports centre gym people are meant to have basic first aid training. So are police, fire brigade. Hell even I did have working offshore oil and gas ,now heavy civil structural engineering/ occasionally on site.

I think that was why the UK Judge hearing the case was not happy...

But I agree circumstances/ urgency and risk play into it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Was not there. Will not speak to what was or was not done. Previous experience as an EMT for 15 years. Brittle diabetics can become VERY combative when they crash.

At the paper mill, one of the union millwrights was a smaller guy, 5-6, 160 pounds. And a brittle diabetic. Would go drinking with his buddies after work. Not eat anything. Not take his meds. Show up at the mill the next morning. And as soon as work started, his sugar would crash and he would try to kick EVERYBODY's azz. Mill would call EMS. We would get there and find 3 or 4 big burly millwrights holding this guy down. Give him a coke or a glass of OJ, and 5 minutes later he starts looking around "OH... I did it again..."

Again, I was not there. But I can TOTALLY believe that a crashing diabetic put up a HELLUVA fight when the officers pulled him out of the car. If he was a gym rat to boot, yeah, quite the rodeo...

Dude their job is to let the guy beat their azz.....he's low on blood sugar for gawd sake!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in the 90s a man had attempted to get on the interstate and run his car off the road beside the on ramp. Nothing serious, he just drove off into that deep hole. When we got there with the crash truck he was outside his car leaning on it, acting like a stumbling drunk, and very combative when we tried to approach him. He wanted to fight any of us that got close. We couldn't smell/see any alcohol so we just figured drugs and went into containment mode until rescue or LEO showed up.
When rescue got there a couple minutes later they knew the man from previous rescue calls and talked him into taking a tube of glucose. They ended up giving him two. When that kicked in he immediately calmed down to normal and was emphatically apologetic for trying to fight with us. I haven't seen a situation like that since, but it was a lesson learned about diabetics and a sugar drop.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

S
Strop10 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Spruce Pine is right down the road from us, and we use the Wal Mart shown in the video.

I am unsure why EMS didn't respond; I wonder if dispatch didn't notify EMS and why the officer on scene didn't request EMS?

As a Type II diabetic, I guess we'll need to start going to the Wal Mart in Elizabethton or Johnson City, TN so in the event my sugar drops I don't end up arrested or worse.

StarchedCover

You might do well to avoid Spruce Pines altogether. Without knowing your occupation, Spruce Pines may not turn the investigation over to SBI so quickly.

Do you not get local news at all? Radio, newspaper. Tv?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
A routine call for the EMS. I worked hundreds of "Low blood sugar" calls when I was a paramedic. These cops are some dumb asses.

They know about exemptions and immunities.☝️

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
They Also Know that the Danger Level is Parabolic..

This is what happens when Society Fractures

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by akrange

You have no idea why SBI is investigating do you?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This example shows how complex the LE/EMS job can be. The brittle diabetic thing is no joke! Our EMS had a guy naked in bath tub full on water. They fought him and lost trying to get him drink some OJ. After EMS members received a broken nose and a broken finger , they called us for a manpower assist. A 20 minute fight ensues, in a tiny bathroom with a wet naked man. 2 EMS and 2 Deputies in a tiny bathroom with very combative man. Fighting/ trying to control a naked person is very difficult, let alone a wet person. In the end, I needed 4 stiches in my left ear, another Deputy was bitten on his arm. Everyone one of us was hurt in some way. We were able to get some soda in him and he slowly came out of it. He was fine after that. No charges we filed, the guy was deemed NCR. Hell of a fight. But, of course our forum arm chair experts would have handled that incident without any struggle at all. Their opinions are most often based no real experience which makes their wisdom even more profound. Fini.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Strop10

Because there are "allegations of excessive force".

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Kind of difficult to know what happened without a video.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

The video is irrelevant. The cawps were wrong no matter what. They should be executed in the town square. Let the diabetic guy do it.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 04/05/24.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Because there are "allegations of excessive force".

Unlikely it would have got there this quickly, if at all, under normal circumstances.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

StarchedCover

You might do well to avoid Spruce Pines altogether. Without knowing your occupation, Spruce Pines may not turn the investigation over to SBI so quickly.

We never travel to Spruce Pine often, usually to take in the Wal Mart a couple of times a year as it's one of the closest ones to us.

I'm on a mountain ridge @ 4220 feet outside of a small town with a population of about 800 people, our nearest neighbors are over a half mile away and most of them are seasonal residents, so we have our peace and quiet here in the "High Country" of NC.

As for local news there isn't much, the Avery Times is published once a week, nearest TV stations are in Asheville, NC or Johnson City, TN , we get Charlotte stations on satellite. I haven't been to the barber shop in a couple of weeks so I am out of the loop for sure.

StarchedCover

Last edited by StarchedCover; 04/05/24.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by cs2blue
This example shows how complex the LE/EMS job can be. The brittle diabetic thing is no joke! Our EMS had a guy naked in bath tub full on water. They fought him and lost trying to get him drink some OJ. After EMS members received a broken nose and a broken finger , they called us for a manpower assist. A 20 minute fight ensues, in a tiny bathroom with a wet naked man. 2 EMS and 2 Deputies in a tiny bathroom with very combative man. Fighting/ trying to control a naked person is very difficult, let alone a wet person. In the end, I needed 4 stiches in my left ear, another Deputy was bitten on his arm. Everyone one of us was hurt in some way. We were able to get some soda in him and he slowly came out of it. He was fine after that. No charges we filed, the guy was deemed NCR. Hell of a fight. But, of course our forum arm chair experts would have handled that incident without any struggle at all. Their opinions are most often based no real experience which makes their wisdom even more profound. Fini.

I thought they saved him by getting him out of the car he had been sitting in for a long period of time to keep him from walking in to traffic?

Spruce Pines dude is just lucky they didn't recognize what he was and force alcohol on him.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

StarchedCover

We never travelled to Spruce Pine often, usually to take in the Wal Mart a couple of times a year as it's one of the closest ones to us.

I'm on a mountain ridge @ 4220 feet outside of a small town with a population of about 800 people, our nearest neighbors are over a half mile away and most of them are seasonal residents, so we have our peace and quiet here in the "High Country" of NC.

As for local news there isn't much, the Avery Times is published once a week, nearest TV stations are in Asheville, NC or Johnson City, TN , we get Charlotte stations on satellite. I haven't been to the barber shop in a couple of weeks so I am out of the loop for sure.

StarchedCover

Well this happened back in February so the local media must be doing their job in keeping it on the down low.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

The video is irrelevant. The cawps were wrong no matter what. They should be executed in the town square. Let the diabetic guy do it.

What is it with all the anti-cop videos lately? Reminds me of all the "young person died unexpectedly " BS.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Jeff Riordan once stated video was never intended to be used against police, just to back up whatever they said.

That could go either way with this one.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Jeff Riordan once stated video was never intended to be used against police, just to back up whatever they said.

That could go either way with this one.

Strop10 once said he didn't always bìtch about cops. Turns out, he is not only a lazy coward, but a liar lol

Keep bìtching, that will solve everything

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,253
Posts18,486,286
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.