Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
These are over 4 years old. 800 CCA size. One reads 150 CCA, the other reads 600 CCA. I know prices are up. Any suggestions for their replacements?

Sam......

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
They still make and sale, Red top and Yellow top batteries, saw them at AutoZone, high but good

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have been having pretty good luck with the Duracell line from Sam's. The ones in my Duramax are probably at least 6 years old and working fine. Our car is about 8 years old and starts every time. I have not put a load tester on them but plenty of juice to spin them right over. 12 volt batteries as a rule start to get a bit sluggish before they crap out giving you a warning they are dying.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
the little red battery icon on the instrument panel is staying longer after cranking up than it used to. That's why I had the batteries load tested. I am looking at using the same Delco battery or maybe in Interstate. I can't see paying double for one of the new AGM batteries though. It's a 2005 truck

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Walmart's Everstart are made by Johnson Controls, one of the big 3 battery makers in the country. They're good quality and their prices are a bit lower than most of their competitors.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought 2 batteries for my Dodge Cummins from Costco. Forget the brand off hand, but they were almost half the cost than Napa, AutoZone, etc. Been 2 years no issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For years I swore by Odyssey.

Not anymore. Bought 2 for the Duramax in October 2021 that were replaced under warranty this past January. Just over 2 years of service. mad

Had another 2 in a sports car, neither of which lasted 3 years. The first was replaced under warranty during COVID ... after a months-long wait for it to arrive. When the replacement died, again well before 3 years, no warranty coverage. That car no longer has an Odyssey in it.

Two Odyssey batteries for a Duramax are now priced at near $900 including shipping and Cali tax! shocked

No more Odyssey for me. Damn shame too. I had a set of Platinum (?) from Sears that were rebranded Odysseys that lasted me almost 10 years in that same Duramax. THOSE were batteries.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
the little red battery icon on the instrument panel is staying longer after cranking up than it used to. That's why I had the batteries load tested. I am looking at using the same Delco battery or maybe in Interstate. I can't see paying double for one of the new AGM batteries though. It's a 2005 truck
Interstate batteries aren't anything near what they used to be. I had 2 that never made it out of warranty. I won't buy them again.

For now I have an Everstart in the GMC and a Napa battery which is branded AAA in the wife's car.

The Everstart is only 2 years old so I cannot say whether it will be a decent battery or not and the AAA is just a few months old.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/06/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
the bright spot in all of this is that the truck actually belongs to my son. I sold my two cars, and now just use this truck. He pays for the insurance, tag, all maintenance and repairs. I pay for the fuel I use.
He says to buy one of the new AGM batteries. That Walmart Everstart one looks good.

Sam......

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Already had to replace both batteries in my 2019 Duramax. I can't do it myself anymore.Shop told me todays new trucks with all the computers and electricla running expect three years out of batteries

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
the bright spot in all of this is that the truck actually belongs to my son. I sold my two cars, and now just use this truck. He pays for the insurance, tag, all maintenance and repairs. I pay for the fuel I use.
He says to buy one of the new AGM batteries. That Walmart Everstart one looks good.
I put an Everstart AGM in our Highlander last fall. It lasted 2 months. At least it died within their 90 day return for refund policy. I hope you have better luck with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I bought 2 batteries for my Dodge Cummins from Costco. Forget the brand off hand, but they were almost half the cost than Napa, AutoZone, etc. Been 2 years no issues.
Likely have Interstate labels on them. Also likely made by Clarios, which bought Johnson Controls battery division a few years ago, which also makes the Everstarts at least for some Walmart regions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin
For years I swore by Odyssey.

Not anymore. Bought 2 for the Duramax in October 2021 that were replaced under warranty this past January. Just over 2 years of service. mad

Had another 2 in a sports car, neither of which lasted 3 years. The first was replaced under warranty during COVID ... after a months-long wait for it to arrive. When the replacement died, again well before 3 years, no warranty coverage. That car no longer has an Odyssey in it.

Two Odyssey batteries for a Duramax are now priced at near $900 including shipping and Cali tax! shocked

No more Odyssey for me. Damn shame too. I had a set of Platinum (?) from Sears that were rebranded Odysseys that lasted me almost 10 years in that same Duramax. THOSE were batteries.
Any experience with the Full Throttle brand?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Interstate doesn't make batteries. They're a marketing firm. They buy them from several sources.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy what you can afford. I paid $500 for a couple for my super duty last year. Needed them and auto zone was just down the road.

Just like anything nowadays, not made the way they used to be

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Late model cars put more stress on batteries with all the electronics. Even when the key's turned off, there's a good bit of power draw going on. After market add-ons can be a problem if they're powered without the key being on. I read something about a back-up camera that would kill a battery in 2 days if it wasn't started and run. It was wired to be on all the time.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Walmart's Everstart are made by Johnson Controls, one of the big 3 battery makers in the country. They're good quality and their prices are a bit lower than most of their competitors.
I have had great service from Walmart batteries !!!!!!

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought my Dodge Cummins pickup in '12 with 60k on it. I don't remember what kind were in it when I bought it but I replaced them sometime around '14 with Everstarts. I replaced them again a couple years ago with more Everstarts. I can live with 2 sets of batteries in 10 years and the 2d set should last a long time yet since they're fairly recent.

For the record - I have add-on backup lights and a trailer hookup camera. Both are wired after the key switch so there's no risk of leaving them on and running down the batteries.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Wound up going with the regular Interstate 78 series 800 CCA lead acid batteries.

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 30 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.