Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
have not held one, but that thing looks awesome. only thing I dont like is the metric thread on the barrel.

+1, I don't want to buy a thread adapter or new end cap to direct thread my suppressor. The other option is to buy another suppressor to dedicate to running a metric end cap that I'd still have to buy separately from the suppressor. If the barrel was long enough to cut back and thread, I would like better than adding more parts to my suppressors.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
That’s a 16’inch

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The 16" barrel would be a deal breaker for me, with a 20" then I would consider one.
A 20" barrel is short enough that it still handles well from the cab of a pickup or utility vehicle but is not so short as to be totally obnoxious from the muzzle blast.

It's called a suppressor

My take on suppressors is pretty simple - even using a suppressor hearing protection is still needed so I prefer a 20" barrel to get the muzzle blast a bit further away.
Then there is the $200 that is needed to pay the .gov for owning one, also suppressors are ridicuously overpriced at $400 - $600 dependant on the brand.

So basically why not a 20" barrel and a pair of earmuffs which are still necessary even though I would have spent the extra $600 - $800, especially for a rifle that is only used occasionaly for a coyote or other varmint.

Hearing protection is not necessary on a 16” rifle with a hearing safe can. The hearing safe part is the operable part of that phrase, as some cans out there now aren’t hearing safe.

Hunting coyotes with a suppressed rifle is something that needs to be experienced. The chances of doubles increases greatly.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
have not held one, but that thing looks awesome. only thing I dont like is the metric thread on the barrel.

+1, I don't want to buy a thread adapter or new end cap to direct thread my suppressor. The other option is to buy another suppressor to dedicate to running a metric end cap that I'd still have to buy separately from the suppressor. If the barrel was long enough to cut back and thread, I would like better than adding more parts to my suppressors.

The rifle comes with a 5/8x24 adapter.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The rifle comes with a 5/8x24 adapter.

I'd still prefer not to use a thread adapter. As a second choice I'd run an ASR muzzle brake.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why?

If you’re worried about tolerance stacking then the muzzle brake is the same situation as a thread adapter. A metric endcap from Silencerco is 60 bucks. A lot cheaper than another can. Or just use the Tikka supplied thread adapter and not worry about it because it’s a non-issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The 16" barrel would be a deal breaker for me, with a 20" then I would consider one.
A 20" barrel is short enough that it still handles well from the cab of a pickup or utility vehicle but is not so short as to be totally obnoxious from the muzzle blast.

It's called a suppressor

My take on suppressors is pretty simple - even using a suppressor hearing protection is still needed so I prefer a 20" barrel to get the muzzle blast a bit further away.

To each their own, but if you delve into the hearing-safe topic a little more, you may find out that your stance is subject to change.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The best money I ever spent on a Firearm/Firearm Accessory, was money spent on a quality suppressor. I have a 16 inch Christensen Arms Ridgeline, chambered in 308 Win. With a Silencerco Omega can onboard, it is handy, wieldy, and deadly out of a hunting blind. Absolutely safe without hearing protection, and a joy to hunt with. This rifle from Tikka is a step in the right direction for folks who don't have to hunt in wet weather where the wood can be a detriment.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I just picked up a CGS Hyperian K(my first and only can to date) that I intended to use on a short barreled Bergara in 6.5 as well a CMMG Dissent in 300 Blackout.

The Bergara was supposed to be a calving time truck gun but now I'm half-ass afraid to have the setup in the cab as the suppressor is so light I'm afraid it'll hit something(axe, bottle jack, random chit, etc..) and break.

Over worrying I'm sure.

That little Tikka looks interesting.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by DrDeath
That’s a 16’inch

Yep

My badd

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I just picked up a CGS Hyperian K(my first and only can to date) that I intended to use on a short barreled Bergara in 6.5 as well a CMMG Dissent in 300 Blackout.

The Bergara was supposed to be a calving time truck gun but now I'm half-ass afraid to have the setup in the cab as the suppressor is so light I'm afraid it'll hit something(axe, bottle jack, random chit, etc..) and break.

Over worrying I'm sure.

That little Tikka looks interesting.

If your can was aluminum as some are it might be an issue, but since yours is titanium I wouldn’t worry. And if you are worried about protection, buy a can condom.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
The best money I ever spent on a Firearm/Firearm Accessory, was money spent on a quality suppressor. I have a 16 inch Christensen Arms Ridgeline, chambered in 308 Win. With a Silencerco Omega can onboard, it is handy, wieldy, and deadly out of a hunting blind. Absolutely safe without hearing protection, and a joy to hunt with. This rifle from Tikka is a step in the right direction for folks who don't have to hunt in wet weather where the wood can be a detriment.
I’m right there with ya. A suppressor was one of the best firearms purchases I’ve made. Truly made shooting fun again - like being a kid with a new box of 22 ammo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Many a time a condom has kept me worry free, great idea, thanks.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
If you don’t have/like/want suppressors, then the world is chock full of 20”+, non-threaded rifles for your needs. If you DO have suppressors, there aren’t nearly enough 16-18” threaded setups available vs other stuff. Not much longer than 18” is not even on my radar these days. I have the ‘regular’ rifles I need. I just don’t shoot much without a suppressor. I don’t see that changing. There are a myriad of reasons, many of which those without suppressors won’t fully comprehend….until they do.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 04/07/24.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Regarding the .223 chambered models, If they’d left those God-Awful sights off the SS version, AND fed it w/CTR magazines I believe a whole bunch of people would’ve been all over the turnkey platform.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Absolutely

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hint............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Those worried about hearing, I'll bet north of 75% of all hunting shots taken while standing up are done without hearing protection. Simple fact of the matter.
Longer barrels are certainly more noise friendly than short ones. A suppressed 16" barrel is easier on the ears than a naked 26".
I have a 308 with 18" barrel that i built just to shoot suppressed. While shooting at a pair of blacktails last year, my buddy commented how nice it was that my rifle was suppressed.. if I'm at the range, i wear protection, in the field, i need to hear stuff and don't always have time to put plugs in.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I’m right there with ya. A suppressor was one of the best firearms purchases I’ve made. Truly made shooting fun again - like being a kid with a new box of 22 ammo.

Oh. My. Fking. Gawd!
You need a centerfire rifle to sound like a .22lr to enjoy it?! Awe, u poor wittle baby, with your sensitive little ear drums.

Try a fking 50 cal machine gun, where your issued 3m plugs didn't seal good in yer greasy fkn ear canals.

Because you hadn't showered in over a week on a mission in a combat zone.

Oh my gawd; I'll be laughing for DAYS.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,798
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.