Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Do you believe the story the earth is only 6000 years old? What is your reference for this belief and can you explain it rationally?

I know of the biblical references that supposedly support this belief, but as I have explained many times on this site- I am a believer in the bible but I don't take everything in the bible as literal fact. It is evident much of the bible is allegory and metaphor meant to convey a message. Where things get tricky is knowing what is factual and what is not. Keep in mind that in 1616 Galileo was chastised and imprisoned by the church for heresy because he believed the earth and all the planets revolved around the sun instead of the earth being the center of the universe, as the church believed at the time. There are myriad examples over time that show discrepancies in biblical stories but I don't feel that should affect the true meaning that is being conveyed by biblical stories.

To further complicate this discussion, what other discrepancies in church teachings or biblical stories have you read that disprove some of the church beliefs but are insufficient to dim your belief in God's written word or has impacted your view of how to envision the Bible and, in the larger picture , your view of Christianity over the millennia.

I think we have beat the Moses and the Ark story to death a bit already...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No! But, who’s to say what a day was to the Lord at the time of creation! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep in mind that in 1616 Galileo was chastised and imprisoned by the church for heresy because he believed the earth and all the planets revolved around the sun instead of the earth being the center of the universe, as the church believed at the time.
Also keep in mind that at that time, the RCC was anything BUT Christian. The Inquisition was totally Satanic and the church was all about power and money. They wouldn't allow anything that might decrease their power and influence over the governments of Europe.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And flat…..

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gee think about it... if God was to make the earth to support life as it is right now and as He intended, he would have had to create a "old earth" or an earth as it is right now. Hmm... if there was fruit in the garden of Eden then the plants and trees had to be created "old" as we call them... I do not see a 5 day old tree producing fruit... God also had to create layers of earth for things to live in and the nutrients in the soil to support the life on the earth... I certainly believe God had knowledge that we would - could use oil as we do and thus created it... not just some chance happening over a billion years.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope I believe the earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old

living the good life every day
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
yes plus several billion years...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeepers.

maybe if flave returns y'all will have something else to worry about?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No. IIRC at one time scientists to the best of their knowledge thought that the Earth was 500 million years old. Then someone else said it is likely 1 billion years old. Then another guy looked at it and said it should be 2 billion. Presently the best scientific minds think it is about 4.5 billion years old. The only question is when will the next scientist come up with another age.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
You must deny knowledge in order to make room for faith

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Not this again.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
🙄

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister
Do you believe the story the earth is only 6000 years old? What is your reference for this belief and can you explain it rationally?

I know of the biblical references that supposedly support this belief, but as I have explained many times on this site- I am a believer in the bible but I don't take everything in the bible as literal fact. It is evident much of the bible is allegory and metaphor meant to convey a message. Where things get tricky is knowing what is factual and what is not. Keep in mind that in 1616 Galileo was chastised and imprisoned by the church for heresy because he believed the earth and all the planets revolved around the sun instead of the earth being the center of the universe, as the church believed at the time. There are myriad examples over time that show discrepancies in biblical stories but I don't feel that should affect the true meaning that is being conveyed by biblical stories.

To further complicate this discussion, what other discrepancies in church teachings or biblical stories have you read that disprove some of the church beliefs but are insufficient to dim your belief in God's written word or has impacted your view of how to envision the Bible and, in the larger picture , your view of Christianity over the millennia.

I think we have beat the Moses and the Ark story to death a bit already...
You are obviously trying to push me out of my job.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this a Ringman call out? /s

Carpe' Scrotum
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
No. For Chrissakes my ex mother in law was older than that.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, I do. God created it as aged like he did Adam and Eve and all the animals. The chicken came first in order to produce eggs.
Take care!
Rick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. At least that and maybe more given there are living trees (bristlecone) that are 5K+.

1Minute
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have no idea how old the Earth is. I am a follower of Christ. There are lots of things I do not know. I believe what the Bible teaches. I further believe the Bible is not a complete history of everything that ever happened.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Yes, I do. God created it as aged like he did Adam and Eve and all the animals. The chicken came first in order to produce eggs.
Take care!
Rick
Agree

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 14 invisible), 1,415 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,491
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.