Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
At the Sportsman show there is a booth advocating a lead ban wondered who was behind this did some looking and found this.

https://www.audubon.org/news/new-fe...s-and-fishers-looking-safer-alternatives

Looked like a well funded group to be at the Sportsman show pushing their agenda, big money to have a booth there.

Last edited by kk alaska; 04/06/24.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Looks like the audubon society is a bunch of leftist clowns. There's also an article in the link there about a "progressive" condor family with two moms. What a bunch of propaganda.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Our Oregon Moose and Goose organization was on that kick for a couple of years I think mostly due to a push by their then director. Their ambassador displayed images of mostly ground squirrels vaporized with 17's, Swifts, etc. Did not look good. No images though of the lowly 22 LR effects. Never really caught on and the push has pretty much disappeared. We do, however, still have a boatload of hawks, eagles, owls, ravens, crows, magpies, and seasonal vultures.

We have a tendency though of tracking California, and there's a push to bring up some condors.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/06/24.

1Minute
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
They could care less about the millions of wind turbines in the Ocean, or the millions of acres of solar panels in Antelope, bird, deer, and other animal habitat, and then prove that their outrage is Politically Motivated.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Went to an Environmental health seminar years ago. This is food code stuff, water treatment plant standards, clinic and hospital operations, infectious disease prevention stuff.

It's an old practice that requires a credential.

Anyhow, at the seminar, there was a foolish idiot from Yukon Kuskokwim Health. He was a UAF guy. Talking lead core bullets and how his "270 with all copper bullets is best. To sink his point home, the fkn moron had slides in his PowerPoint presentation showing x-ray photos of varmints shot with thin jacket varmint bullets!

Alarmed by how the crowd was swayed by this, I spoke up and said it was disingenuous, what he's showing to the audience. That I had slower velocity, larger caliber, lead-core premium bullets recovered from Alaskan game that retain better than 90% of their weight.

How could fkn UAF allow that slanderous [bleep] to be presented to the public?!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I was a grad student at U of Montana a student did a similar project but his x-ray scans showed birds of prey that had been eating gut piles with traces of lead throughout the bird’s system. Supposedly from C&C or solid lead bullets shedding some of their weight in the lungs/gut piles. That university sponsored the study too but I wouldn’t doubt some of the funding for the study from greenie NGOs.

I have no clue if that student ever had any influence on MT FWP, but I never heard anything more about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
When I was a grad student at U of Montana a student did a similar project but his x-ray scans showed birds of prey that had been eating gut piles with traces of lead throughout the bird’s system. Supposedly from C&C or solid lead bullets shedding some of their weight in the lungs/gut piles. That university sponsored the study too but I wouldn’t doubt some of the funding for the study from greenie NGOs.

I have no clue if that student ever had any influence on MT FWP, but I never heard anything more about it.

Live birds, not autopsied dead ones, right?

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Looks like the audubon society is a bunch of leftist clowns. There's also an article in the link there about a "progressive" condor family with two moms. What a bunch of propaganda.

They fu(ked up the hunting out in California, and it was all the same made up bullshit.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ron Spomer is a big advocate of copper bullets. He says he doesn't want to see lead banned, but then proceeds to push the same drivel that the anti lead/ lead banners use. Lead shot and lead bullets have minimal secondary effect on wildlife and the environment. A handful of carrion eaters may die each year, but certainly not enough to hurt the population.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I seriously question the whole avian lead poisoning from projectiles. To hear the antis talk, they’d have you believe that every gut pile and wounded/lost animal is riddled with lead particles.

I’m willing to bet we could never see the actual necropsy results of dead avian carrion feeders. Any dead avian carrion feeder will be listed as lead poisoning the same as every hospital death during the scamdemic was attributed to covid.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by kk alaska
...........Looked like a well funded group to be at the Sportsman show pushing their agenda, big money to have a booth there.

Another global warming/climate change scam. They're at a sportsmans show because the show promoters don't care about anything but booth income, and sportsmen are stupid enough to suck up leftist propaganda like a chocolate shake on a hot summer afternoon, proving that you don't need to kill your enemy. All you have to do is convince him that death or surrender is the only way to get them to shut their lying mouths (which, of course, is just another damned lie............)

NRA Life Endowment Member
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Having a booth to openly oppose hunting sports through an agenda getting support at a Sportsman show is concerning!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Having a booth to openly oppose hunting sports through an agenda getting support at a Sportsman show is concerning!

And the “show” was probably well aware of the agenda being brought in.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A year or so ago the USFWS published the results of state and their own studies. More lead than expected was found in bald and golden eagles and a larger proportion of golden eagles than more than anticipated significant levels of lead in their systems.

The lead from bullets is unique and can generally be distinguished from other lead sources.

As elkmen1 pointed out, the left wing environmentalists don’t seem to be as concerned about wind turbines, when both turbines and lead are killing a lot of raptors.

Regardless, a prohibition on lead core bullets is likely coming. How it will happen, state by state ban, federal lands ban , or an overall federal ban, will remain to be seen.

In the end, this isn’t much different than the lead shot ban.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lead ban? Wonder what they think of sinkers, split shot, lead wire for fly tieing, halibut jigs, etc

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Those things are in the conversation too.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sadly, they are too late. Every last Alaskan condor is now extinct.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
In Alaska, we'll first see a ban on lead hunting bullets on federal lands. ADFG will ante in not long afterwards. Thankfully, I hunt mostly state lands, one reason being that previous years of moose hunting on federal lands got so onerous.

Copper bullets of equal weight are a lot longer, and with numerous calibers and the required overall cartridge lengths that will fit the action, powder capacities are reduced. I'm not a fan at all. I love velocity with my weight.

Last edited by Huntster; 04/06/24.

NRA Life Endowment Member
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A simple solution here. Shoot and use lead anyway. You have to draw a line on stupidity, (and control) somewhere. I have lots of c/c bullets that I am going to continue to use long into the future.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am a old school hunter that grew up on hunting game, varmints critters with lead core bullets. for the last two years I have deer hunted exclusively with lead free bullets in a 6mm ARC. Other than cost per practice round I see little downside to breaking away from using lead core bullets for hunting.

Guess I am less bothered by the aims of these interest groups than I have been in the past.

Though to be honest I am more concerned by the chemicals widely used in todays farming practices & their impact on wildlife & mankind, than I am by the lead exposure to wildlife & mankind.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,298
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.