Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
My most favorite bike of any I've owned or ridden, including Harleys, was my Suzuki DR-650, a tad more nimble version of the KLR-650.

Scarce as hen’s teeth around here, might be finally going out of production after all these years. Still carbureted, they never fuel injected it like the KLR which does not augur well for the future. Already unavailable in Australia.

Quicker and lighter than a KLR, better suspension, better in the dirt. One thing I really like about the KLR is its water cooled. Stalled in traffic that fan kicks in and blows hot air all over your knee, so it overheats your knee and not so much the motor.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
had a KLX 650R that was one bad SOB . A guy really needed some pretty serious inseam to reach the ground I was fine but most people were not..

https://ridermagazine.com/2013/10/04/retrospectve-kawasaki-klx650-1993-1996/

Last edited by ldholton; 04/06/24.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've owned a couple in the past, I just wish they could shave a hundred pounds off them.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JOG
I can try to one-up that. I ran an event with my son-in-law. I did a 5K, he did a 10 mile. At the finish they gave out the same shirt for both events so I went and hung out with the 10-milers. We all had a good laugh at the 5Kers. Son-in-law looked a little piqued.

My 2016 Isle of Man TT t-shirt is the real deal, so is my son’s 😎

Only problem is most people over here have no clue what it means.

Maybe we should get Harley t-shirts.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I still have my KLR 650 but it needs a big bore kit and a different carb. Saet is too soft and is one of the worst seats I have ridden on. The new ones are much better. I have a KLX 250 which is a decent little bike and a Suzuki V Strom which is a very good road bike. I'll probably not buy another new bike. I can't warm up to all the electronic gimmickry. GD

IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by JOG
I can try to one-up that. I ran an event with my son-in-law. I did a 5K, he did a 10 mile. At the finish they gave out the same shirt for both events so I went and hung out with the 10-milers. We all had a good laugh at the 5Kers. Son-in-law looked a little piqued.

Maybe we should get Harley t-shirts.

Nah, stick with the TT shirt, or even a straight jacket - I like to know who the crazy people are. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
No?

I thought you were on a payment plan for something.

Anyway...how are you gonna get on that thing? Step stool tied to a rope?

That was the ac unit.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I got the camo version. Love it, just don’t have time to ride as much as I want to.

I should put the battery back in tomorrow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I almost entered the TT in 88. Couldn't get our hands on a TZ-500. Damn... That was a long time ago.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by local_dirt
No?

That was the ac unit.

Hahaha!

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I was a smart man, I’d hop on one right now. I’d just be using it to get to gravel forest service roads, then on to fishing spots or camping. no serious dirt.

But, I have been reading/watching too much content on the Aprillia Tuareg 660.

Fuggin’ Iteys go and make some in incredible s—t, with the some of the worst reliability in the world… Oh and heaven help you if you need a part shipped from Italy…

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rear window defroster finally get you?

LOL
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Christ, an old XR500 will mor'n get it done, with Honda reliability.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[q
[quote=Jim_Conrad]No?

That was the ac unit.

Hahaha!

ac? water heater?…… who does that?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
If I was a smart man, I’d hop on one right now. I’d just be using it to get to gravel forest service roads, then on to fishing spots or camping. no serious dirt.

But, I have been reading/watching too much content on the Aprillia Tuareg 660.

Fuggin’ Iteys go and make some in incredible s—t, with the some of the worst reliability in the world… Oh and heaven help you if you need a part shipped from Italy…

“Desmodromic valves”, the answer to a question nobody asked 🙂

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
You’ll love the fuel injection.

I’m 6’4-6’5 and the the KLR was a good fit me.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by greydog
I still have my KLR 650 but it needs a big bore kit and a different carb. Saet is too soft and is one of the worst seats I have ridden on. The new ones are much better. I have a KLX 250 which is a decent little bike and a Suzuki V Strom which is a very good road bike. I'll probably not buy another new bike. I can't warm up to all the electronic gimmickry. GD

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away the Harley crowd used to rag on Japanese bikes as being “disposable”. Back in the ‘80’s the Evo motor was a revelation. In the forty years since however HD saw fit to make continual engine modifications and changes, incidentally making the bikes less and less rebuildable. Egad, the latest Sportster replacement, the water-cooled “Nightster”, has a big fake gas tank with the real gas tank under the seat.

Meanwhile Kawasaki has been making the 652cc KLR motor mostly unchanged since they bumped it up from a 600 in 1987. I believe the KLR is the oldest streetbike design currently in production in the US.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RAM
Christ, an old XR500 will mor'n get it done, with Honda reliability.

Indeed, I was stunned to find the classic dual purpose version had been taken out of production some time back when I wasn’t paying attention.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

I almost entered the TT in 88. Couldn't get our hands on a TZ-500. Damn... That was a long time ago.

I had no idea you raced motorcycles at one time Bart, tho I ain’t surprised to hear it.

Most folks here are prob’ly aware of the TT and what it is, but if they ain’t here’s a link. If it didn’t actually happen you wouldn’t believe it possible.

IOM TT

My son and I went in 2016. The hardest part is getting on the island, we got two of the last slots on a ferry for even pedestrians with no vehicle when we reserved the summer before.

Once on the island….

Taxi to a campground-$10
Cost of campground just 100 yards from the pits/start-finish line - $18 per person per night.
The public can wander freely through the pits during race prep.
The racing as shown, right there on the street in front of you.
The Chief of Police was running the breakfast kiosk at the campground.
He was also the head Track Marshall, he invited my son along as he drove the 37 mile loop to check it right before the races started (the roads close at 10am on race days).
You can leave anything laying out, the theft rate is almost nonexistent.
Great conversations with people from all over the world.
Thousands of motorcycles of all descriptions.

It’s like nothing else of earth 😎

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by greydog

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away the Harley crowd used to rag on Japanese bikes as being “disposable”. Back in the ‘80’s the Evo motor was a revelation. In the forty years since however HD saw fit to make continual engine modifications and changes, incidentally making the bikes less and less rebuildable. Egad, the latest Sportster replacement, the water-cooled “Nightster”, has a big fake gas tank with the real gas tank under the seat.

Meanwhile Kawasaki has been making the 652cc KLR motor mostly unchanged since they bumped it up from a 600 in 1987. I believe the KLR is the oldest streetbike design currently in production in the US.
Yeah, mine's fine except for the oil burning. That is why it needs the kit. The carburetor sux. The great thing about it is that it is torquey and hooks up real well. The down side is the weight and brakes which are just slightly better than dragging your feet. They are the perfect anti-lock brake however; they won't lock-up on gravel. The new ones are much better in the brake department and the fuel injection takes care of the carb issue. GD

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 27 invisible), 1,959 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,706
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.